All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Ableton's new Glue Compressor
PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:30 pm 

login wrote:
mholloway wrote:

so, honestly, what makes this compressor better than any other compressor? what does it DO??

thanks!
-M

compress

:evil:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:33 pm 

Quote:
And please refrain from answers such as, "it sounds great" and "oh it's just better for bus comp than ableton's" because those, while common responses, don't actually tell me ANYTHING.....?

so, honestly, what makes this compressor better than any other compressor? what does it DO??

For me, it's a few things

-The parameter options for attack and release are limited, so I am less inclined to constantly fiddle and tweak and second guess

-The Range knob and Dry/Wet give added flexibility for preserving transients while taming the sound overall

-The soft-clipping is a nice feature that gives a little extra "something" to the sound (although it's definitely not appropriate for every situation)

-I know it's a useless description that you specifically wanted to avoid, but it really just does sound "good". I notice this most when I'm using it with vocals and when I'm summing multiple tracks together or grouping.

I did some makeshift A/B-ing between the two, and set the settings as equal as I could make them between the normal Compressor and the Glue Compressor, and to my ears the response of the Glue was more musical. Got better response for my singing, and it evened out the levels without feeling like it was flattening the sound dynamics too much, if that doesn't seem paradoxical. Like it somehow manages to tame peaks but also preserve dynamics, which seem like opposites but still somehow manage to work.

Plus I've noticed hiss and line and room noise seems amplified with the normal Compressor compared to the same settings in Glue, even though theoretically they should be the same

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:37 pm 

mholloway wrote:
Could someone perhaps describe, in some detail, WHY the Glue is great? LIke, what are you hearing, what results are you getting with it, that you CAN'T get with the native Ableton compressor?

I'm not doubting, I'd just like to know.....

And please refrain from answers such as, "it sounds great" and "oh it's just better for bus comp than ableton's" because those, while common responses, don't actually tell me ANYTHING.....?

thanks!
-M

It glues. Eg makes drums sound more cohesive. Don't ask how, it's magic.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:52 pm 

mholloway wrote:

posted again for posterity.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 8:02 pm 

funken wrote:
mholloway wrote:
Could someone perhaps describe, in some detail, WHY the Glue is great? LIke, what are you hearing, what results are you getting with it, that you CAN'T get with the native Ableton compressor?

I'm not doubting, I'd just like to know.....

thanks!
-M

It glues. Eg makes drums sound more cohesive. Don't ask how, it's magic.

Reposted for the retarded

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:25 am 

the responses (as somewhat predicted) are making me think a blind A / B test of Glue VS. Native Ableton Comp might be in order. Hrrrmm how much time can I waste...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:00 am 

Why not just try it out in the field and see how you like it?

Also, the other day some dude on Reddit in either the edm or Ableton forum was trying to figure out how you made sounds for one of your tracks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:09 am 

agent314 wrote:

Also, the other day some dude on Reddit in either the edm or Ableton forum was trying to figure out how you made sounds for one of your tracks

Me??? No way. My tracks suck.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:54 am 

looool sorry - I thought mholloway had started the thread for some reason

It was a guy asking about some of the sounds in a DWIFH track

I appreciate the blunt assessment of your own work though man - I know that feel :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:15 am 

Ahaha it's funny, I used to way more hyped on my work when I was even worse! Hehehe :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:48 am 

I'm gonna go with whatshisface on this one: y'all seem to be drooling over Glue, yet Live 8's compressor is already great... AND MORE FEATURED THAN GLUE. So, let's be out with it—what makes Glue so great, other than for sniffing?

"I wanted to not like your [music], but it's actually pretty awesome. Banana hammock."
- eddiex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:00 am 

Sticking things together. It's a process technically know as adhesion. When two items are places in close juxtaposition, under the right circumstances bonding takes place.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 3:44 pm 

How does the soft clipping work on this one? I see the original cytomic glue has a peak clip button, but there is no threshold. So how much does it clip?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:39 pm 

funken wrote:
Sticking things together. It's a process technically know as adhesion. When two items are places in close juxtaposition, under the right circumstances bonding takes place.

so is the attack on Glue as quick as your attack is on hot button topics and alternative opinions? and does it have the same looooooooong release?

this adhesion, do you find it works as well as native copy and paste features?

lastly, are there any artifacts such as those ad hominem ones you've riddled this site with?

thanks in advance for your non-offensive and politically correct answer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:09 pm 

agent314 wrote:

Yeah, actually that's part of why I was asking -- the other day I was messing around with it in the live 9 beta, and couldn't get any results that made me think "I should use this instead of Live's native compressor." I should say that I use Live's native Comp damn near constantly, and love it (and especially love the new 9 version). I've played with the much lauded FabFilter-C, and now The Glue, and in both cases I was underwhelmed and unconvinced that I needed these (for any purpose) in place of the native Comp. Granted, I assume some forum-ites can and will simply suggest that I "don't know what to listen for," and that very well may be true. I'd assume Ableton are smart enough that they wouldn't put a new compressor in their software if it was totally redundant with their own -- right? RIGHT? heh. Dunno, really.

Glue is yet another 'modelled on SSL mix bus compressor' and that tag always makes me cringe, fwiw. But furthermore, it's always talked about in context of using it on a bus to 'glue' the buss'd instruments together, and my question stands, WHY is ths particular comp 'better' at doing that than any other comp out there.

agent314 wrote:

Nice, thanks for the heads up :)