Mac vs PC

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
The Carpet Cleaner

Re: Mac vs PC

Post by The Carpet Cleaner » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:27 am

Martin Gifford wrote:Of course, Windows has hourly backup. Don't forget that it's the main business system in the world.

Hit the windows key or the start button and type backup and the first item up should be "Backup and restore". Click it or hit enter and then follow the instructions.

It does full system back up and/or hourly backup of particular folders/drives.
Off course it has been doing this for ages but the Backup and Restore doesn't work file by file...

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:33 am

...well I was ready to go mac for my next machine, but ended up with a monster PC for the price of a mac mini setup.... again.

..but seriously, if I had 6000$ to 8000$ for a mac... at that level I think it's better than a PC.

.but that was for HD video editing, music does not need a bomb like that of course.

The 27inch imac is a very nice machine. and it's closer in $$ to a comparable PC + a good 27inch screen. Would I have money to spare I would have got one to surf the internet and get used to the mac OS.

My -older- music PC is going to stay the same, dual core, XP... I mainly record tracks and don't need much vst power.... works fine.

login

Post by login » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:03 am

WaveRider wrote:...well I was ready to go mac for my next machine, but ended up with a monster PC for the price of a mac mini setup.... again.

..but seriously, if I had 6000$ to 8000$ for a mac... at that level I think it's better than a PC.

.but that was for HD video editing, music does not need a bomb like that of course.

The 27inch imac is a very nice machine. and it's closer in $$ to a comparable PC + a good 27inch screen. Would I have money to spare I would have got one to surf the internet and get used to the mac OS.

My -older- music PC is going to stay the same, dual core, XP... I mainly record tracks and don't need much vst power.... works fine.

Well with 6000 you could put a multi GPU config (4 cards) on a PC, can you get that on a mac pro?

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:43 am

These topics are always hilarious to me.
Always the exact same argument about cost.

Since 1998 I've twice bought brand new macs, the rest of the time used, mac owners are anal about their computers usually so a 6 month old laptop will look brand new...

The computer I'm writing this on is a 2.66GHz 8 core Xeon Mac Pro with 24GB RAM and three hard drives. I paid $1100 for it, not $8,000. The iMacs are great value, that's a very dense pixel screen, I wanted the power and hard drive space though.

login

Post by login » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:13 am

Machinesworking wrote:These topics are always hilarious to me.
Always the exact same argument about cost.

Since 1998 I've twice bought brand new macs, the rest of the time used, mac owners are anal about their computers usually so a 6 month old laptop will look brand new...

The computer I'm writing this on is a 2.66GHz 8 core Xeon Mac Pro with 24GB RAM and three hard drives. I paid $1100 for it, not $8,000. The iMacs are great value, that's a very dense pixel screen, I wanted the power and hard drive space though.
1100 seems fair for that mac.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:24 am

Machinesworking wrote:
pencilrocket wrote: Whatever. At least better than your test environment and more reliable than believing anonymous fanboy posts.

FWIW, you can read those articles 1 to 6.
http://www.dawbench.com/win7-v-osx-1.htm

Windows 8 OS became less resource hungry. Mountain Lion gets dumb. So no room for OSX to win...
No, it's not.
Yes, it is. Unfortunately your post is far weaker than the above article though it's up to the readers whether to believe some articles or anonymous forum posts done by fanboys.
http://www.wikihow.com/Write-Articles
http://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-How-To-Article

I forgot to mention one thing.

If you plan on working seriously on your music production for the next few years, buy a Win + extended warranty + external hard drive for automatic delta backup.

If you make music while your minecraft server is down, stick with mac.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:46 am

:D

Dude 1: This hammer will hit those nails in way better than that hammer.

Dude 2: No it won't, who uses a hammer anymore. Get with the times, you need this screwdriver to hit in those nails.

Who better to know which tool is best for the job than ....

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:46 am

login wrote: 1100 seems fair for that mac.
Actually it's about $500 under. Try buying just the two four core Xeon chips alone?
That will put you back Round $1,100. :?

You could argue that i7 chips are just as good and I would partially agree with you, except I've personally had an issue or two with those energy saver style chips and much prefer not to have to deal with them in a desktop. My guess is the next line of Mac Pros use them though, because they can be housed in a small form factor, and Intel is far more aggressively pursuing speed out of the i7 chips.

Anyway look around and keep aware and any perceived mac issue isn't one, same with PC issues.

Although I would say that design wise the Macbook Airs can't be beat. Design wise in general Apple does it well. The one clear advantage to OSX is it's user intereface, and I believe it remains the difference in philosophy between Microsoft and Apple. Jobs was quoted as saying something on the lines of "if the customer can't figure it out it's not a sign that they're stupid and we're genius's, it's a sign of our stupidity."
Although I've never found Windows that hard to navigate it is quirky, which isn't probably noticeable if you grow up using it.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:51 am

pencilrocket wrote: Yes, it is. Unfortunately your post is far weaker than the above article though it's up to the readers whether to believe some articles or anonymous forum posts done by fanboys.
Bleh, not everyone who owns a macbook is an Apple fanboy. That's a simpletons line of logic.
Especially considering these people would be paying good money for Win 7 to instal on it.....
And some of these people are in fact running Windows on their macbooks as the primary OS for various reasons. The Live 9 test thread contains dozens of these reports.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:04 am

I must say that I am being swayed in the direction of the better argument here. It really is a no brainier which way you should go with your money and I am sure the 45+ pages to follow will only concrete that choice. I'd definitely make the choice to go with the right answer. You'd be silly not too.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:11 am

FWIW, the UI of Mac isn't altogether good. It's been awkward as apple have been trying to change eveything for the sake of uniqueness not usefulness. But this makes user feel 'good' because they are taught to think it's 'unique'. This is one of the example.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-3YVQjEMbU

Mountain Lion, iTunes11... not to mention.

For the desing, it's already outdated. The fake-3D UI desining trend was prosperous around 2005. Some noobs are still liking those desing but most pros no longer use such old trend for today's web site, artwork, UI.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:21 am

One of the lovely things about the interweb is that some things never change. I remember when I first started participating in the very earliest listserv flame wars. Mac versus PC. It kinda gives me a warm feeling feeling to check in 20 years later and find the same discussions going on.

Anyway, my 2c. I run Live on both platforms - PC at home for making music, and macbook for DJing and when I am stuck in hotels :(

I prefer PC for making music, because there are some awesome VSTs that don't have Mac support, and because I could get way more processor power per buck than with the Mac.

I prefer Mac for a notebook because it is a good all-round machine, steady as a rock, does not take 20 minutes to start up like most notebooks I have ever owned (including a very expensive top of the line Sony Vaio that gave me insane DPC latency issues - AAAARK!), and has much better battery life.

In terms of 'user feel' and ease of use - Mac has the edge on PC ( and I say this as a PC user of 20 years) but only just. For example Finder on Mac beats PC any time. And there is the hot-swapping USB thing; PC is still not able to do that 8O how weird is that. Win 7 is like a slightly but only slightly less intuitive version of Mac OS. Mac is nicer - but only marginally.

And I don't know about Mac Lion. I am on 10.6.8 and it is working fine, but my colleagues who are on the latest OS are having headaches.

login

Post by login » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:39 am

About the UI, Win 8 got the principles right, it lacks deep implmentation across the board. They fixed many years of bad UI. Apple in this is falling behind with a very cheesy design, too much 3d graphs.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:27 am

quiet_ou wrote: In terms of 'user feel' and ease of use - Mac has the edge on PC ( and I say this as a PC user of 20 years) but only just. For example Finder on Mac beats PC any time. And there is the hot-swapping USB thing; PC is still not able to do that 8O how weird is that. Win 7 is like a slightly but only slightly less intuitive version of Mac OS. Mac is nicer - but only marginally.

And I don't know about Mac Lion. I am on 10.6.8 and it is working fine, but my colleagues who are on the latest OS are having headaches.
Well to be fair OSX straitened out the Finder, and in the early 2000's I would have to give that hat to Windows, as I think the Start menu in Windows until lately had a smoother opening sequence then anything Apple was doing. The choices in OSX on how to view finder data are far more now for sure.

Mountain Lion is bug free for me, installed on this machine in August.
Honestly I like it, I was fully prepared to hate it, didn't even bother with Lion, and thought it was going to be worse etc. but I like it a lot.

Both OS's seem to have an alternating cycle of hits and misses upgrade wise. Leopard was worse than Snow Leopard, Lion worse than Mountain Lion. All the various crap Windows tried between 98 and Xp, Vista a dog compared to 7, and 8 up in the air, but some people hate it with a passion.
Both have an every other release great or mediocre run going.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:42 am

login wrote:About the UI, Win 8 got the principles right, it lacks deep implmentation across the board. They fixed many years of bad UI. Apple in this is falling behind with a very cheesy design, too much 3d graphs.
I wouldn't ever argue this, even if I was a Microsoft employee. Windows has had one of the ugliest and most intrusive finder looks ever since XP. In fact looking at Win8 screenshots it's still fucking ugly as shit. The fact that the windows themselves are primary blue and red is one of the most invasive design choices made... blah! Compare that to OSX where you can choose to have the entire window be a light grey. Hopefully there's a way to make the window grey, because blue and red are an eyesore. Microsoft make great products, but the lack of thought in this area is maddening. :x

OSX

Win8