"Error Type 18" - Mac crash

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
hat

"Error Type 18" - Mac crash

Post by hat » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:00 pm

When asked if I wish to remove unreferenced samples upon quitting my Live session, I cannot click 'yes' without some kind of computer lock-up, freeze + hard-reboot, or the more recent "error type 18 occured (+bomb), please restart" message. I have to keep choosing 'no', letting my sounds folders increase in size.
I emailed Ableton last week, to no reply yet.
Last edited by hat on Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

hat

Post by hat » Mon Apr 14, 2003 4:03 pm

forgot to mention a few specs...

-Mac G4 867
-OS 9.2.2
-Live 2.0.3

hat

Post by hat » Thu Apr 17, 2003 3:28 am

Dear Ableton,

I just spent $300 of my hard-earned cash on your seemingly incredible Live! software. For the most part, it is indeed quite beautiful and does what it claims to accomplish. However, while you encourage your loyal customers to send in any technical questions via email, please take a minute out of your busy day to merely say, "we're really busy at the moment, but do trust that someone will get back to you regarding the issue you are having".

After waiting over a week for a response, via email or on this forum, I hope you can understand my patience is wearing thin. I have noticed that generally, you seem very responsive with your user base and have a sincere commitment in improving upon an already wonderful application, and that is admirable. So, I do have faith that someone from your headquarters can tell me something, anything, about my issue stated above, perhaps it's an extension conflict, a software setting, dunno...
Even something simple like, "we don't know, that's an odd one, we'll look into it and get back to you", that would be so wonderful, but don't leave people hanging. I can't have my computer locking up each and every time I want to remove these 'unreferenced samples' upon quitting a Live session.

Thank you for hearing me out,

- a happy (but eager for answers) Ableton customer. :D

harb

Post by harb » Fri Apr 18, 2003 12:14 am

hat,

I believe I may have a work-around for this situation.

First- do you have any 2.0 versions of Live other than 2.03?

I did-I got rid of them and things started working more as expected.

At first I could reproduce your problem exactly- error type 10- error-1728-force restart,etc.

Sometimes it looked as though my Mac was frozen, then it would snap out of it and say it could not delete "Track x-x .asd". Then go to the next, same thing again. then I could quit. If I would select Save As, then the deleted files would delete- no freeze, no crash, no errors- just Quit when told to do so.

I trashed all the preferences and Live versions older than 2.03, except 1.52.

I am not sure exactly what happened, but now deleting unreferenced files appears to work.

Let me know if this is of any help, I can not make it fail at this point.

harb

hat

Post by hat » Fri Apr 18, 2003 3:01 am

thanks for your reply, harb,

I have the 2.0 boxed version, then downloaded the 2.0.3 upgrade. Are you suggesting that I revert to the 2.0 in order for this to work? Otherwise, you recommend 'save as' to help actually delete the unused samples? Interesting, I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Thanks for the tip! :)

harb

Post by harb » Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:22 am

hat,

I am not suggesting that you revert back to 2.0, I am suggesting that you delete 2.0..... Save As did help the situation, but eventually, in my findings I no longer had to Save As- it just worked the way it should.

I had all previous versions[before 2.03] of Live on my HD[2.0-2.01-2.02]. I have a very similar setup[9.22-G4-2.03].

I deleted all of the old versions and could not get Live to reproduce the problems that I/you had.

After making these changes, I spent a few hours trying to kill Live, with no results.....

Please read my original post again, after reading this post.... We can sort this out, if we can reproduce this and find a work around.... I feel we are getting close to triangulating the problem.

Tell me exactly what you can do to reproduce the problems you have encountered.

Hopefully you have not deleted 2.03 yet. Sorry if I was unclear.

I need to know more about your situation so that I can continue testing this...

This has been discovered before, view forum topic-
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3092

harb

hat

Post by hat » Fri Apr 18, 2003 10:56 pm

I trashed any file or folder referencing Live 2.0, and only kept 2.0.3, trashed preferences, but still, I get the same problem.
"Can't delete file ___", I then click 'no', quit Live, followed by the dreaded "error 1728" -> freeze -> restart.

Even doing a 'Save As' didn't seem to help.
:?

harb

Post by harb » Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:20 pm

hat,

I still can not get Live to reproduce the errors.

Are you using a saved Live set or a new Live set? Try a new one if you have not.

Did you read this forum thread
http://www.ableton.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3092
Maybe it has something to do with your problem as well, (crashing when quitting Live).

It seems that it is intermittent or has disappeared for most users.

harb

hat

Post by hat » Tue Apr 22, 2003 2:22 am

well harb, nothing seems to remedy my issue. Not a "Save As", nor trying the methods described above in a new session have yielded any hoop jumping emotions. Just now, I tried removing unreferenced samples from a brand new session, Mac locked up, got the Error Type 10 --> Restart (with a lovely bomb), only when clicking on Restart, nothing happens, I have to hit the reset button on the tower. It's nice to see the folks at Ableton jumping in on this one.... :roll:

I'll keep at it, thanks for all your help, despite my dismal results.

p.s. as mentioned above, there no traces of any Live! files prior to 2.0.3 on my hard drive.