Mix Multi track in Drum Rack?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
lapieuvre

Mix Multi track in Drum Rack?

Post by lapieuvre » Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:05 pm

Hi,

I usually use EzDrummer to do my drums, so I am able to route each drum piece (kick, snare, hh, etc...) to separate audio tracks, so I can mix them like a real drum.

But now I got a Drum Rack, and I want to assign the kick to a separate audio track so I can keep it dry, and put the rest of the drum in reverb.

One solution would be to duplicate the track and put a 2nd drum rack with only the kick playing and the rest of the drum with the original drum rack.

But what I would like to do is to make the kick output from the drum rack to a separate audio track.

Thanks
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo

jestermgee

Re: Mix Multi track in Drum Rack?

Post by jestermgee » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:10 am

I'm at work so don't have Live in front of me but you can easily create FX chains within a drum rack (Send/Returns) and then you can also create sends to external AUX busses and this is all Per Pad.

On the LEFT where you have your show/hide controls for the drumrack components open the send/return and then explore that. Easier still, search youtube for Live Drumrack Tutorials and you will be on your way.

Additionally, if you have a drum rack you can open the mixer of the drum rack to make adjusting all samples easier. On the Drum Track channel (at the top of the clip window where the track title is) you will see a circle with a triangle. Click that and any populated pads will show a volume slider.

I think all that is correct off the top of my head.

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:47 pm

I see, but the 'audio to' box is greyed out... I can't seem to be able to do it. I have the individual kick track appearing (either in session view, or in the drum rack in arrangement view), but can't assign it to another output, nor a send...

here what the explanation says: "Sets the output routing of this chain. Normally, chains route directly to the output of the Rack, but it is possible to route return chains to one of the Set's return tracks. Drum and return chains in nested Racks can also be routed "upwards" to the returns of any Drum Racks that contain them."
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:02 pm

[edit] never mind
Last edited by siliconarc on Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timday

Post by timday » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:25 pm

lapieuvre wrote:I see, but the 'audio to' box is greyed out... I can't seem to be able to do it. I have the individual kick track appearing (either in session view, or in the drum rack in arrangement view), but can't assign it to another output, nor a send...

here what the explanation says: "Sets the output routing of this chain. Normally, chains route directly to the output of the Rack, but it is possible to route return chains to one of the Set's return tracks. Drum and return chains in nested Racks can also be routed "upwards" to the returns of any Drum Racks that contain them."
You need to activate the send/returns inside the actual drum rack. Drum racks have their own send/returns whach are not the same as the main send/returns. The buttons for them are on the bottom left of the drum rack - the return button will create an empty return window under the chains window, if you right click in this you can create a return.

If you create a return inside the drum rack, that return can then have FX on it itself or be used like a bus to route stuff to Ableton's main returns (for example if you want to share your drum reverb with other tracks this would be the way to do it).

PS this workflow is a lot simpler that I've made it sound here when you actually do it.

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:54 pm

Got it! Thanks a lot, Timday
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta

MOSELEYNOISE

Post by MOSELEYNOISE » Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:46 pm

Hello,

has anyone else had issue when using drum rack returns to route to the main returns that when they have the drum rack highlighted, say to add new parts, they got lots of latetency/ doubling on the drum hits that are using the returns? I can't get a solution for this it seems/