how to do a connection between Ipad and Ableton

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sonnobadger

how to do a connection between Ipad and Ableton

Post by sonnobadger » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:01 pm

Hello guys,

I got m-Audio keystation with one midi out. I got a focusrite scarlett, a pc and my ipad. So I want to connect my Ipad to work in ableton, maybe just to get the audio, or make Ableton and my keyboard the controllers of the ipad. will I'll be fine with just the m audio uno plug? I guess I'm missing a midi INput? This is very technical for me.

Thank you very much,

agent314

Re: how to do a connection between Ipad and Ableton

Post by agent314 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:50 pm

TouchAble or Griid are your best options.

beats me

Post by beats me » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:11 pm

agent314 wrote:TouchAble or Griid are your best options.
:lol:

Did you even bother reading the post?

Unfortunately I can’t be much more help either, but any app you are interested in should have some recommendations by the developer on how to best connect it to the computer.

If you just want audio then just run an audio cable from the headphone out on the iPad to your audio interface in.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:26 pm

All I know is, attempting an ad hoc connection between Win and a midi device is... well...I'd like to know if anyone has any pointers haha.

I can connect my iPhone for midi to my laptop Through my home network router. But it seems that the only thing win ad hoc will allow is sharing Internet.... not midi.

sonnobadger

Post by sonnobadger » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:13 pm

ok this is giving me some clue how to do it...

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpbb2/ ... 741ecc2201

still a little bit confuse on how to do it... I would like a video of a clown on youtube that goes into all the connection process with Piccolo sound playing in the background, the clown have to be half drunk and unshaved. :mrgreen:

I'll just use file sharing for the moment until I understand everything,

thank you,

agent314

Post by agent314 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:34 pm

Did you even bother reading the post?
looooool

I read this
So I want to connect my Ipad to work in ableton, maybe just to get the audio, or make Ableton and my keyboard the controllers of the ipad.
and assumed that's what he was talking about

I have no idea

But TouchAble is still pretty cool

You can set up USB MIDI controllers to work with apps in the iPad world, via the camera connector kit
Presumably you could find some way to use the MIDI out from Ableton into MIDI in of the keyboard if there is a MIDI-in (which it doesn't sound like the keystation has), then use that as the input via the camera connector

sonnobadger, what exactly are you trying to control, and for what purpose?

sonnobadger

Post by sonnobadger » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:22 am

Thanks for the apps ideas by the way,

Ok, so I want to control the apps on ipad with my keystation keyboard and have the sounds popping up in Ableton. OR, simple straight audio connection ipad to Ableton without using file sharing in itunes. Beats me recommend cable headphone to audio interface. So I don't know wich cable i could use for that.

I plug the midi out of the keyboard to camera connector kit to my ipad. That I understand. But how will I get the sound to ableton? because my keyboard is going to my computer via usb cable, and my focusrite has jack input only. :!:

Sorry I'm super novice about audio gear, I put to much compression on audio but that's for another chapter.

thank you,

agent314

Post by agent314 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:17 am

But how will I get the sound to ableton? because my keyboard is going to my computer via usb cable, and my focusrite has jack input only.
What beats me mentioned is most likely the easiest - just record the audio out of the headphone jack into the input on your interface. You will probably need an adapter from 1/8" (3.5mm) to 1/4" (7mm), but those are pretty easy to pick up for cheap.

sonnobadger

Post by sonnobadger » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:25 am

Yes this is pretty straightforward, that's what i need,.. wow and I have all the cables at home in the closet, is that amazing!?

thank you for your help,
let's unplug the tv and do some music.

evangelink

Post by evangelink » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:50 am

I use RTPMidi to send a wireless MIDI signal over the network to my iPad, and it will control any apps that use core MIDI. So AniMoog, Polysix, Sunrizer.
http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/rtpmidi.html

I then use a home made wire to take the iPad headphone output into an input on my Saffire. Works perfectly, apart from the odd latency issue.

sonnobadger

Post by sonnobadger » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:36 pm

Yes! This is working great, wireless remote to use midi in ableton to the apps + connection with the headphone jack to get the audio from the ipad. Perfect. wow, you guys made it simple for me, thank you :!: that ims-20 is pretty impressive I have to say...