Help with video export!!! Please someone who knows about fps

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Cuica man

Help with video export!!! Please someone who knows about fps

Post by Cuica man » Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:57 pm

I am in the middle of a music video that I've used ableton to edit. There were a ton of crashes while doing the fine edits.... But now that I've moved the clips in place, ableton is playing the footage back without any crashes. The real problem is that when I export the video and the audio track out the are outta sync with each other. I've noticed that live is changing the frame rate on the vid when I export with QuickTime current frame rate settings. It starts as 24 and ends up as 30. I've tried to change the output settings in the QuickTime export to 24 fps. Even after that they are outta sync. Although the audiotrack is still in sync when I import it back into the session I exported it from. Oh yes and the it's not a mismatched sample rate issue. Please help,
This video is for my upcoming album, and I can't work on the composition till the video is in sync.
I have searched everywhere and have tried almost every export setting in QuickTime
Thank you, Markus

mihai

Re: Help with video export!!! Please someone who knows about fps

Post by mihai » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:13 am

personally i wouldn't do any video editing with live, i'd probably go with any of the freeware choices over it.

the video should be set as the master tempo file. if it's at 24fps then also right click the timeline at the bottom
of arrangement view and instead of "time" select "24 fps" that way the grid will make it easier to work with. if you do that
and also have correct render settings then live should not play around with any fps settings or whatever.

stonee

Post by stonee » Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:09 pm

what are you planning to play it on? and in which reigion? and at what quality? and what quality was it shot at?

i would only export it at 24fps if it was shot in 24 fps. 30, or 29.97 @ 720p is pretty much standard for hd web broadcasting now.

Cuica man

Post by Cuica man » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:49 am

Thanks a lot for your response!
I'm sure there has got to be a better program for this. I would have used Final Cut Pro X, but it has no tempo grid.
the video should be set as the master tempo file. if it's at 24fps then also right click the timeline at the bottom
of arrangement view and instead of "time" select "24 fps" that way the grid will make it easier to work with. if you do that
and also have correct render settings then live should not play around with any fps settings or whatever
I thought this was going to be it, but no luck. This is the first time I've tried to set the video to master. :( Before this I already tried changing the time ruler format, with no sucess.
what are you planning to play it on?
Mostly on the web, but want the best quality I can get.
reigion
NTSC
what quality was it shot at?
1920X1080 24fps from the iPhone 4s HD camera

Nothing seems to work. I've tried everything including try to get a hold of Ableton's support.:(
The Video is for sure 24fps before I import. I then go to the Quicktime export settings and export with compression type h.264. I've left every thing as default settings.
Frame rate: set to current fps.
Key frames: Every 24 frames.
Frame reordering is checked.
Quality: Best.
Enconding: Best quality.
Data Rate: auto
Then size is 1920X1080 HD
Thanks again for any help you can give.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:06 am

i don't know for sure... i'm just throwing this out there, but...

could it be an order of operations thing? as in you need to open Live first, then Quicktime or vice versa??

i know when you close a program on a Mac that it really just minimizes it... perhaps if you close them both (properly) and then tried opening one or the other first it would knock it back in sync.

hope this helps and/or you find your way soon.

Cuica man

Post by Cuica man » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:28 am

Ableton is the only app open. The quicktime app is never open... It is a quicktime export setting in ableton.
Thanks for trying :)

Samaritan Sound

Post by Samaritan Sound » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:45 am

Well, 24 fps is traditional framerate for film, and 30 for video. See if there is a film/video setting somewhere, and set it for film.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:45 am

welcome to video-hell.
they made it possible to use video with live but it's so incredibly stupidly put together and unstable that it's actually more or less useless. i too have crashes when editing (audio to video that is), in fact i have so many damned crashes that i've simply stopped using live completely. since i hardly make music any more and mostly do sounddesign for visuals and stuff i can't work with live any more. i would never edit video with it though because i can't even imagine how frustrating that would be. but doing audio for movies with live is damned right impossible because it's so unstable and tedious to work with once you hit a certain track count that i simply gave up.

too bad since nothing, and i do mean nothing, is as fast to actually design sounds with as live. for me anyways.
enjoy video hell.

mickmon1

Post by mickmon1 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:24 pm

It's a shame because Ableton is actually lovely to work with video and audio together, the workflow makes sense. It usually runs perfectly while I'm working in the project (besides having to re-open the project constantly) but I have yet to find an export setting that won't stall and get stuck on certain frames.

photonal

Post by photonal » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:19 pm

Ableton should expand the market of Ableton to the whole VJ crowd. Not to mention musicians who would like to create visuals for their music.

I was hoping to see the following in Live 9:

i) Separate Video tracks - with Blend options and live Video input options.
ii) A range of video effects to go with the Video tracks, e.g. colorise / pixellate / time warp effects etc
iii) An option to feed the video output to a separate monitor.

gavspav

Post by gavspav » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:27 pm

What compression format is the video you are importing from the iphone? It could be the codec is causing problems. Some codecs are no good for editing.

Just to test you could convert the iphone video to something like Photo Jpeg/keyframe every frame (using Mpeg Streamclip for example) before editing it in Live.

If that does make a difference to your sync issues you could possibly convert the iphone video to a lossless format (so as not to lose quality) if Live/your computer can handle it, and then render to h264.

If that doesnt work, use Sony Vegas on a PC/bootcamp. Pretty good video editor for audio driven stuff!

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:00 am

photonal wrote: I was hoping to see the following in Live 9:
iii) An option to feed the video output to a separate monitor.
This already exists! drag the video window to the second monitor, and then double-click it to make it fullscreen. Double-click on the video window again to minimise.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:15 am

Would it be possible at all (and this is me thinking of something I would want when it gets more intensive to work with) to sync Ableton with something like Final Cut or Vegas? Is there any such thing as MIDI sync between video and Audio applications like timecode for video? I'm curious now I might have to check this out unless someone says it's a no go now...

EDIT: A quick Google seems to suggest this may be an option to have video on 1 PC in editing app of choice and audio in another.

jestermgee

Post by jestermgee » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:25 am

Thank the lord you came by. Been waiting for an answer for 7 long years.