Live 9 Pricing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
H20nly

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:00 am

MrMoneypenny wrote:
H20nly wrote:yeah but with Reaper you have to factor in the day off work you have to take to get it configured. depending on your hourly wage it could be the most expensive DAW of all.
I agree in sense of configuring at the beginning and you miss off course all the content plus M4L. But with Reaper you have a rock solid system, VERY low CPU usage, stable video support, ability to use 32 Bit & 64 Bit fx, network FX processing, comping, batch processing (for film very time saving) and a lot of features that I'm just going to get to know at the moment. So, Reaper will be time saving for me in the future I know already! - working on film sound! Working with music I'll continue working with Live 8, I guess. So I'll use both, Reaper & Live in the future. Reaper seems to be more in competition with PT. Live is still very unique (clip view, M4L, content). But I already spent money for Live Suite, M4L (249 EUR) and I'm irritated about 249 EUR upgrade price for me (it used to be 199 EUR 2 months ago) with a 30 EUR discount now for me as a fact. Something between 100 and 150 EUR, like 129 or 139 would be more fair, as 64 Bit is nothing special compared to other DAWs.

Just my 2 cent.
:D i can see that.
i was joking a bit, but it is something to consider. Reaper is not exactly the quickest DAW to setup, but if it saves you time in the long run then that time spent configuring will be made up for. still, pulling your hair out for the first few days/weeks can be a bit of a deterrent and something to keep in mind.

me, i'm getting L9 8)

KrisM

Post by KrisM » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:07 am

I don't mind the $250 for 9 Suite upgrade so much, but what bothers me is that I have to get it by March 12th or miss out and it's back to $299 by my understanding :|

Kinda loses it's special appeal when I have a gun to my head and have to get it by X date :lol:

but at the end of the day it's my choice, and I still have time to make it 8)
I don't 'produce.' I write music.

Danny_DJ

Post by Danny_DJ » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:09 am

does anyone know what about boxes? ATM the page only speaks about download versions.

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:48 am

merges wrote:
ralin wrote:
fishmonkey wrote:i hafta say the long awaited "special offer" for Suite 8 + M4L owners was a let down. the email made me think that there would be an extra USD100 discount from the already advertised price, but, no the difference is only about USD35. god only knows why they strung that out for so long...
This "special offer" has me worried that if I don't order in the first week they are actually going to end up increasing the price they quoted me when it was announced.
Yup. A one week period for upgrading is pretty threatening/urgent, too. I really wonder why they're doing customer experience this way.
I don't quite understand the one week offer either. If the discount is because I am a valued customer then why not just let that "discounted" price be the price I pay. Period. So unless I am able to drop what I am doing on the 5th, download the demo and dive at that price, or worst still just buy it blindly, I'll have to pay $100 more?

fishmonkey

Post by fishmonkey » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:02 am

UncleAge wrote: I don't quite understand the one week offer either. If the discount is because I am a valued customer then why not just let that "discounted" price be the price I pay. Period. So unless I am able to drop what I am doing on the 5th, download the demo and dive at that price, or worst still just buy it blindly, I'll have to pay $100 more?
up until now i have given Ableton the benefit of the doubt with all the pricing and release weirdness, but in the end this is just a poor way of going about things. one week to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on Live 9 + Push with "valued customer" pricing is a ridiculous policy.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 1:31 am

Danny_DJ wrote:does anyone know what about boxes? ATM the page only speaks about download versions.
i can't remember where on the site... and the navigation is SHIT (you hear me Ableton! SHIT!)... but i did see mention of it last week. i payed attention to it because i always get the boxed version.

polyslax

Post by polyslax » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:35 am

fishmonkey wrote:
UncleAge wrote: I don't quite understand the one week offer either. If the discount is because I am a valued customer then why not just let that "discounted" price be the price I pay. Period. So unless I am able to drop what I am doing on the 5th, download the demo and dive at that price, or worst still just buy it blindly, I'll have to pay $100 more?
up until now i have given Ableton the benefit of the doubt with all the pricing and release weirdness, but in the end this is just a poor way of going about things. one week to decide whether or not to pull the trigger on Live 9 + Push with "valued customer" pricing is a ridiculous policy.
Yeah that 1 week business is pretty lame.

Sticking with L8, and Logic, here. I'd still be on L7 except they never added support for Cocoa UIs to it. When I upgraded to Altiverb 7 I was basically forced to upgrade Live. At least I missed that first year of insanity with 8... hopefully something that won't be repeated for those jumping into Live 9.
Image Image

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:47 am

fishmonkey wrote:
How else do you get people to buy a .0 release when the last .0 release was so problematic?
I feel odd in this thread, because I really do like Ableton, and the product, but the pricing is lame, in every way.
Push is offered to loyal users at a roughly $50 discount, Live 9 Suite is discounted in penny change for a whole week.

The smart decision again is to wait 6 months until Bitwig becomes a real threat, they have a solid stable user tested non .0 release out and are offering the upgrade at 33% + off instead of asking you to accept a $50 discount to continue the beta test. Plus Push will drop down to $499 or less from retailers....

kitekrazy

Post by kitekrazy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:47 am

ezelkow1 wrote:Have they ever done a 50% off upgrades sale though? The most I thought I've seen is 33% off, and now that suite+m4l upgrade price is 300$, that puts it at the release discount price even during a sale time
Never. I upgraded from Sonar X1 to X2 for $79. Yes, the big bloated version of Sonar. They had a $20 off their store in Dec on anything. They do work hard at keeping their current users from jumping ship. Sonar is not my favorite sequencer but I do support those developers who still have the "I trust you" attitude when it comes to authorization.

Even Sony will have upgrades for $99 from time to time. That's great if you own Vegas.

Propellerhead did a major workover with 6 by combining Record, so it's like getting two apps at $169.

Someone mentioned Pro Tools upgrade pricing. It may be the "industry standard" but it's not the home musician's favorite. That's were the revenue is lost. The company that owns Pro Tools isn't in good financial shape. Meanwhile Image Line offers free upgrades and loyal discounts and they won't be broke anytime soon.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:21 am

polyslax wrote:Sticking with L8, and Logic, here. I'd still be on L7 except they never added support for Cocoa UIs to it. When I upgraded to Altiverb 7 I was basically forced to upgrade Live. At least I missed that first year of insanity with 8... hopefully something that won't be repeated for those jumping into Live 9.
i will be purchasing the upgrade... but i won't be un-installing Live 8... i can assure you.

gotta spend that tax return on something... :wink:

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:22 am

I don't know why you are discussing the price even though we haven't read the list of whole improvements & new features of official release. If it came with all in the Feature Wishlist forum for years the price would be definitely fair.

Ben_Binary

Post by Ben_Binary » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:37 am

+1 not impressed with the Pricing and 1 week limit.
Makes viral marketing much less likely coming from long-term users.
More likely after hearing sumfin about Live9 talk ... the conversation turns to Reaper.

http://www.reaper.fm/ puts all the DAW business practices to shame. again.
soundcloud Live 9 & Push / Reaper / Octatrack / Rytm / MicroBrute / Nord Modular G1 & G2 / Waldorf Rack Attack / Juno 60 / Monotron & Duo / SeratoDJ / Komplete 9 / OhmForce

KrisM

Post by KrisM » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:10 am

The more I think about it, the more I feel it's pretty insulting to offer it for a limited time. This whole time they've been saying the price we see isn't right, and will be fixed at launch. And then suddenly they finally offer us this new price, and it's for a week.

Screw dealing with all this DAW drama, where the hell's my 4 track tape recorder... :mrgreen:
I don't 'produce.' I write music.

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:25 am

i dont see the problem, if someone dont like the price then he shouldnt buy it. whining about it wouldnt help.

thegoodsirjames

Post by thegoodsirjames » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:35 am

Hi guys, sorry if this is a stupid question...I emailed it to Ableton support a few days ago and have yet to receive a reply:
I already own Live 8 suite and Max for Live, so I am wondering, do I need to get Live 9 suite in the upgrade, or just standard?
And then, if I am interested in getting Push, which one does it come with (I understand it comes with one by default)?
Thanks for your advice