Moog Voyager midi setup???? PLEASE HELP

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
SDdj

Moog Voyager midi setup???? PLEASE HELP

Post by SDdj » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:59 am

I'm trying to use a voyager with Live but my Voyager doesn't seem to recognize the midi my computer is sending out. I have my audio running through a Duet 2 audio interface, and it works fine as far as recording straight audio is concerned, but I can't seem to get the midi sequencing to work through Live. I have all the right midi channels set up on both my computer and voyager (channel 1 ins/outs (thats right, right?)) and I can see that midi is being sent out of my computer, and I am able to record midi with the voyager's keyboard. However, when I record MIDI into an external instrument piano roll, either from my computer keyboard, mouse, or voyager keyboard, my voyager doesn't seem to be able to recognize the MIDI that I can see is coming out of my computer even though the midi works when recording midi. MIDI/audio seem to work just fine when I play the keyboard, but when I record MIDI to a track, it won't send a signal to my voyager and prompt it to play anything. I have no idea what to do an ANY HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.
13' MBP 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB--Moog Voyager (Cherry/Lunar)--Moogerfooger MF-104M delay--Akai APC40--Akai MPK49--Ableton Suite 9--AIAIAI TMA-1--Shure SE215

synnack

Re: Moog Voyager midi setup???? PLEASE HELP

Post by synnack » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:13 am

you should post a screenshot of both your midi sync screen in preferences, and your session view with the routing showing.

With my voyager I pretty much just plugged it in, enabled it for both the input and output ports for "track" and "remote" in preferences. and done.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

AustinThumper

Post by AustinThumper » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:44 am

You should also send that Voyager over here straight away so I can, um, check the settings... Another pair of eyes on the problem might help.
Live 9.6 Suite / Max 7.2 / REAPER / Reaktor 6 / Win10 64bit / 4.2GHz i7 / 32GB DRAM / SSD / 828mk3 / 4 x HR824 / QX25 / HPD-15 / Sonor club kit / Mother-32 and a growing Eurorack.

SDdj

Post by SDdj » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:48 am

:D
AustinThumper wrote:You should also send that Voyager over here straight away so I can, um, check the settings... Another pair of eyes on the problem might help.
13' MBP 2.9 GHz Intel Core i7 8 GB--Moog Voyager (Cherry/Lunar)--Moogerfooger MF-104M delay--Akai APC40--Akai MPK49--Ableton Suite 9--AIAIAI TMA-1--Shure SE215

SDdj

Post by SDdj » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:53 am

disregard this post haha
Last edited by SDdj on Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

SDdj

Post by SDdj » Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:54 am

synnack wrote:you should post a screenshot of both your midi sync screen in preferences, and your session view with the routing showing.

With my voyager I pretty much just plugged it in, enabled it for both the input and output ports for "track" and "remote" in preferences. and done.

http://cl.ly/image/0H330c2V3p0P
http://cl.ly/image/3O2a1X3I321l

synnack

Post by synnack » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:03 pm

SDdj wrote:
synnack wrote:you should post a screenshot of both your midi sync screen in preferences, and your session view with the routing showing.

I meant the midi in/out routing for the track itself, not the External Instrument device.
MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

SDdj

Post by SDdj » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:34 am

synnack wrote:
SDdj wrote:

I meant the midi in/out routing for the track itself, not the External Instrument device.
Not sure what your asking for, but I am able to play/record midi notes using the Voyager, but when I go to play them back, my Voyager doesn't seem to receive any MIDI because no audio is produced.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:15 am

It's possible that the Voyager itself is set to send and receive on different channels.
So you can record MIDI, but if the Voyager is set to send MIDI on track 1 and to receive MIDI on channel 5, then having the receive channel (the MIDI To setting in the external instrument), set to 1 will do exactly what you describe. This is all really true if you haven't even bothered setting the "MIDI From" on your track and it's still set to "All Ins".
For instance the Korg PadKontrol is hardwired to send on MIDI channel 10, not knowing this would make you think it didn't work etc.

RTFVM -Read The Fucking Voyager Manual! :lol:

SDdj

Post by SDdj » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:46 am

Machinesworking wrote:It's possible that the Voyager itself is set to send and receive on different channels.
So you can record MIDI, but if the Voyager is set to send MIDI on track 1 and to receive MIDI on channel 5, then having the receive channel (the MIDI To setting in the external instrument), set to 1 will do exactly what you describe. This is all really true if you haven't even bothered setting the "MIDI From" on your track and it's still set to "All Ins".
For instance the Korg PadKontrol is hardwired to send on MIDI channel 10, not knowing this would make you think it didn't work etc.

RTFVM -Read The Fucking Voyager Manual! :lol:
I already checked to see if that was the problem, both are sent/received via channel 1

Dayaoute

Post by Dayaoute » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:52 am

Hi,

I'm not sure about the keyboard version of the Voyager but I have the RME version and there is one red LED on the left the LCD screen which lits when the Voyager receives MIDI messages on its input channel. If you have this LED also, is it lit when you send MIDI notes from Live?

Cheers,

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:16 pm

After spending a minute looiking at the Voyager PDF online, there's not just a MIDI channel setting on the RME, there's a MIDI In on/off setting, Page 66. Page 70 has a master reset function, you may just want to do that.

SDdj

Post by SDdj » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:57 pm

I don't think it has anything to do with the Voyager. I have gotten it to work for several sessions but it will randomly refuse to work. I think it may be some kind of side effect of buying a crappy midi/usb cable? The midi in works fine on both of the MAUDIO UNO cables that I bought (yes, I bought another one after the first one was giving me trouble, it worked for one session and has refused to work since), but the MIDI out flashes orange instead of the yellow of the MIDI in. Does anyone know why this happens? I know that it means that ableton can't send the MIDI out for some reason, but it was flashing orange during the times that it worked so I really don't know what to think. Do you think I should just get a nice MIDI interface?

Peels

Post by Peels » Tue Dec 31, 2013 4:36 am

SDdj wrote:I don't think it has anything to do with the Voyager. I have gotten it to work for several sessions but it will randomly refuse to work. I think it may be some kind of side effect of buying a crappy midi/usb cable? The midi in works fine on both of the MAUDIO UNO cables that I bought (yes, I bought another one after the first one was giving me trouble, it worked for one session and has refused to work since), but the MIDI out flashes orange instead of the yellow of the MIDI in. Does anyone know why this happens? I know that it means that ableton can't send the MIDI out for some reason, but it was flashing orange during the times that it worked so I really don't know what to think. Do you think I should just get a nice MIDI interface?
My Uno just crapped out. Happens.