Will there be a "Apply FX to track" feature soon?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Timbeaux

Re: Will there be a "Apply FX to track" feature soon?

Post by Timbeaux » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:48 am

crumhorn wrote: You forgot step 2.5 Twiddle your thumbs for 5 minutes or go and put the kettle on
true

isnt it possible to use "autohotkey" to make ur own macros/shortcuts for ableton live?

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:53 pm

You can create shortcuts because freeze and flatten are in the menu. In osx you have to do it in the system preferences, don't know how in windows though.

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:02 pm

here is a thread, but only winxp :/ : viewtopic.php?f=1&t=89115

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:51 pm

IMO, where this needs to really be improved is with drum racks. I mean think of where you'd most want to quickly render sounds with effects. I would say in drum rack cells, where essentially they are usually going to be used as one-shot sounds. You pike on maybe avst and some effects just for a single sound, but obviously don't want a massive drum rack of plug-ins, so you want to bounce most of th em down to samples in the drum pads. But there is no flatten for individual pads! The workflow, as I know it, kinda stinks for this:
-Change your drum rack track output to another audio track
-Record in real time the hit
-Edit the start/end points
-Delete original cell contents
-Drag sample into drum rack pad.

Bleh. Maschine lets you you render directly on the pad.

Am I missing something?
Professional Shark Jumper.

Timbeaux

Post by Timbeaux » Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:06 pm

freeze and flatten didnt work on drumracks?

mholloway

Post by mholloway » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:14 pm

anyone who thinks freeze+flatten is a suitable answer to Ableton's lack of proper Bounce In Place functioning has no idea what they are missing...

let's just list ONE major drawback to get started: you have to freeze the entire channel. every time. want just one clip rendered with FX? sorry, you must freeze them all anyway. which will probably take a long time. or, begin a long serious of workarounds: copy channel, remove all clips but the one you want to render, freeze, flatten, etc. With bounce in place you've done this with two clicks and are already moving on with your songwriting / production.
my industrial music made with Ableton Live (as DEAD WHEN I FOUND HER): https://deadwhenifoundher.bandcamp.com/
my dark jazz / noir music made with Ableton Live: https://michaelarthurholloway.bandcamp. ... guilt-noir

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:44 pm

crumhorn wrote:
Timbeaux wrote:i found the fix to my problem on KVR:

So you have your editable wav track in 4 clicks.
1. Right click track
2. Left click freeze
3. Right click track
4. Left click flatten
You forgot step 2.5 Twiddle your thumbs for 5 minutes or go and put the kettle on
step 2.5 is a must. the shortcut to sanity, if you will.

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:30 pm

anyone who thinks freeze+flatten is a suitable answer to Ableton's lack of proper Bounce In Place functioning has no idea what they are missing...

let's just list ONE major drawback to get started: you have to freeze the entire channel. every time. want just one clip rendered with FX? sorry, you must freeze them all anyway. which will probably take a long time. or, begin a long serious of workarounds: copy channel, remove all clips but the one you want to render, freeze, flatten, etc. With bounce in place you've done this with two clicks and are already moving on with your songwriting / production.
Exact, andno option for mono files rendering with the freeze-flatten.

merges

Post by merges » Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:36 am

mholloway wrote:anyone who thinks freeze+flatten is a suitable answer to Ableton's lack of proper Bounce In Place functioning has no idea what they are missing...
+1

And another missed opportunity from L9. <sigh>

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:54 am

merges wrote:
mholloway wrote:anyone who thinks freeze+flatten is a suitable answer to Ableton's lack of proper Bounce In Place functioning has no idea what they are missing...
+1

And another missed opportunity from L9. <sigh>
Ah give them a break, as far as I know this is the first thread asking for bounce in place. It would be great though, as would freezing that thought of work arounds for side chain routings.

Guff Tong

Post by Guff Tong » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:22 am

Freezey stuff I do:

Copy/ duplicate tracks to selective freeze certain parts.

Freeze clips from arrangement in session mode for quick freeze. (dont have to wait for silence to be skipped, ok if you have no arrange mode automation of course!)

Cut un-freezable fx like side chain n that, freeze/flatten then paste the fx back.

Freeze any clips with complex warp enabled to free up CPU.

Hmu if u all do this too !

:)

ikeaboy

Post by ikeaboy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:56 pm

I've done those things from time to time. Frequently I copy the fx on an instrument, group the track and put the fx on the group. Then I freeze the instrument. That way I can adjust things like eq without unfreezing processor hungry instruments.