APC40 Sliders stopped working (2 of them)

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
shauns303

APC40 Sliders stopped working (2 of them)

Post by shauns303 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:02 pm

Hi there, I am having trouble with 2 of the sliders on my apc40. They basically just stopped working. Slider 2 is constantly going crazy shaking up and down in abletons environment but the slider does nothing. Slider 6 just doesn't do anything at all. Very frustrating as I use this to perform live on a regular basis.

Has this ever happened before?
What would anyone recommend?

I have contacted Akai's tech support but still waiting on reply...

subsynth

Re: APC40 Sliders stopped working (2 of them)

Post by subsynth » Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:21 pm

This happened to me as we'll. here's a link to a replacement through mouser which is cheaper than mpcstuff.

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ALP ... U4a1m7VH8C

Replacing them requires some soldering skill and preferably a medium to higher wattage soldering iron

shauns303

Post by shauns303 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:45 pm

Ok, great. Thanks for the suggestion.

Did you have the same problem and these fixed it for good? Could you see what went wrong with the old sliders when you were replacing them? Because if not sure weather it could be a midi problem of the hardware/slider problem. Willing to give it a go though...

Thanks again. Any other suggestions from anyone?

JuanSOLO

Post by JuanSOLO » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:01 pm

I recently replaced one of mine with a fader from MPC stuff,
the stem on the fader was shorter than all the other faders, so I would go with mouser.

if you have absolutely no skill at using a screwdriver, dont try it by yourself.
However, if your a wee bit mechanically inclined, it's pretty easy to replace these faders.
If you've never soldered anything before, but want to learn watch some you tube clips.

subsynth

Post by subsynth » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:01 pm

yes it fixed my problem, i do not know what caused them to fail, they are so cheap at mouser I would definitively recommend buying a few spares.

I think in the end I had four bad faders, but only needed to replace three of them, one was fixed just by cleaning. And sometimes a bad fader can make adjacent faders act up when there is nothing wrong with them. So I'd go one at a time if you have multiples that need replacing.

shauns303

Post by shauns303 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:00 pm

Cool, well I will buy a few from them as they are quite cheap. £12 delivery fee though... ouch. Almost not that cheap in the end :)

Is there anywhere else we can buy these from?