PUSH // What does the gear send in user mode ? Answer here!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
julienb

PUSH // What does the gear send in user mode ? Answer here!

Post by julienb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:37 am

Exploring in pure DIY mode, I can deliver this.

http://julienbayle.net/ableton-push/#usermode

more to come.

Here is the picture:

Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

peeddrroo

Re: PUSH // What does the gear send in user mode ? Answer here!

Post by peeddrroo » Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:55 am

thanks man, i was wondering about that.

funny that they choose to have knobs sending several MIDI data when L9 is notoriously bad for editing MIDI mappings.
how does it work when you assign one of the knobs?
do you have to exit MIDI-map while you still touch the knob in order to have the Note assigned?
what if you turn the knob then release it? does it send a note OFF?

julienb

Post by julienb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:10 am

peeddrroo wrote:thanks man, i was wondering about that.

funny that they choose to have knobs sending several MIDI data when L9 is notoriously bad for editing MIDI mappings.
how does it work when you assign one of the knobs?
do you have to exit MIDI-map while you still touch the knob in order to have the Note assigned?
what if you turn the knob then release it? does it send a note OFF?
This is beta, finally.
We'll see that later I guess.
Julien Bayle

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:37 pm

Interesting! Love the chart, and thanks for sharing. Does everything send on the same midi channel? Is if 'stuck' to that midi channel?

julienb

Post by julienb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:08 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Interesting! Love the chart, and thanks for sharing. Does everything send on the same midi channel? Is if 'stuck' to that midi channel?
as far as I tested, everything goes out from Channel 1.
BUT, I guess:
1/ we will have more informations about this mode (and the other one)
2/ this is related to python script, or Max for Live device strategies. Indeed, the real power could be a max for live device that would commute things and be the brain. (I explained that concept of "stupid hardware and smart computer" in my now old free ebook: The 6 rules to design the best user interfaces
Julien Bayle

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:10 pm

thank you very much Julien! This is exactly what i had hoped for. I especially like that the touchstrip sends a 'touch on/off' note, this will make implementing scratch control using the strip much easier!

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:11 pm

as a request, when you have the time, it would be great to get a list of the rgb values which correspond to the midi note input velocity. I very much look forward to using the button grid as a 7bit display ;D

julienb

Post by julienb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:04 pm

lo.key wrote:as a request, when you have the time, it would be great to get a list of the rgb values which correspond to the midi note input velocity. I very much look forward to using the button grid as a 7bit display ;D
doing that asap.
I'm completely busy, mate.

EACH button can be light on/off easily using MIDI notes' (pitch,velocity) and some buttons respond to (CC,value).
I have all, just have to document it a bit :p

be patient..
Julien Bayle

metastatik

Post by metastatik » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:20 pm

Nice work. I don’t have Push yet, but have been doing some experimenting with its native mode (haven’t looked at user mode yet) and created a basic MIDI implementation pdf based on my findings.

I’m not sure of the entire spectrum of colors the matrix can use, but a big chunk of them are based on the colors available in the clip color chooser. This is covered in the pdf linked above.

julienb

Post by julienb » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:32 pm

Julien Bayle