All times are UTC

Post subject: list your mouse-shortcuts
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:12 pm 

I just got a mouse with many buttons, and have assigned only two buttons so far:

1: Toggle midi/track-view (SHIFT+TAB). This was for me a sure case.

2. Hide and view browser (alt+cmd+B), return-tracks (alt+cmd+R), detail view (alt+cmd+L). All of them assigned to the same button (click mouse-wheel).

Any tips on other mouse-button assignments?

Last edited by vido on Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: list your mouse-shortcuts
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:29 am 

Anybody using mouse-shortcuts when producing..?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:18 pm 

Hmm.. so you won't be joining my ban the mouse campaign then I take it?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:32 pm 

Hehe - no probably not before I've got electrodes implanted... ;) I'm all up for getting a better workflow however, so I may steal an idea or two and adapt

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:00 pm 

Hi there. I have a logitech which has programmable buttons. I use one for toggling the Pencil and one for duplicating parts/notes. One for transport start/stop. one for metronome. i have a default template that I use with key assignments.

Cheers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:25 am 

Am I right that with a programmable mouse, you can have Ableton permanently in full screen without ever going to the menus? You just click a button on your mouse, and the action happens without the menu bar ever having to show? That would be awesome. BTW, I wish Ableton had all the menu headings in the right-click shortcut menu like some programs. Or let you program the right-click menu. It's so handy when the function you want is in the right-click menu. Great for workflow.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:27 am 

toggling pencil mode is a nice idea.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:22 pm 

jsn wrote:
Hi there. I have a logitech which has programmable buttons. I use one for toggling the Pencil and one for duplicating parts/notes. One for transport start/stop. one for metronome. i have a default template that I use with key assignments.

Cheers

Cool! Don't use the pencil much myself, maybe I should.. I'll definitely do a template with more key-assignments too.

Martin Gifford wrote:
Am I right that with a programmable mouse, you can have Ableton permanently in full screen without ever going to the menus? You just click a button on your mouse, and the action happens without the menu bar ever having to show? That would be awesome. BTW, I wish Ableton had all the menu headings in the right-click shortcut menu like some programs. Or let you program the right-click menu. It's so handy when the function you want is in the right-click menu. Great for workflow.

Yes you're right. Some commands aren't built-in key-commands in live though but I'm pretty sure you can make your own makro (program the mouse/keyboard-shortcut while clicking the menu and clicking whatever menu-item you need a shortcut - for instance "freeze track").

Most of the menu-items in live are already key-commands though, so you can assign the ones you tend to use most to your mouse so you don't even need to touch your keyboard. Like toggle clip-view for instance (cmd+L or ctrl+L). When I'm already holding my mouse it's much faster to just click a button on my mouse than taking my right hand over to the keyboard to find the L-key...

Hope to see more mouse-assigned shortcuts! Or even other shortcuts programmed to other hardware in your template.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:04 pm 

vido wrote:
it's much faster to just click a button on my mouse than taking my right hand over to the keyboard to find the L-key...

Lazy Live users :)))

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:04 am 

I would use things like insert time, past time, save as, full screen, and preferences. Pretty much everything I do often, but also add new things I learn from videos that I might otherwise forget easily.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:54 am 

I use a "HAMA MOUSE AND KEYPAD TWO IN ONE" (about 8Euro) and Bomes Miditranslator to emulate keystrokes. My shortcuts are: TAB; DUBLICATE(STRG D); DUBLICATE(STRG+Shift D; F12 to switch between Clip- and Trackview; Arrowkeys; STRG+E to cut into pieces; STRG+Z; DELETE; ENTER; +/-; F10. Two keys are empty until now. All together it extreme speed up the workflow.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:19 pm 

The idea to use Mouse Shortcuts is dope.

soundcloud, blog, twitter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:27 pm 

I use F11, CTRL+ALT+M, CTRL+ALT+R, CTRL+ALT+G, SHIFT+TAB, CTRL+ALT+B, CTRL+ALT+L

These are all view shortcuts & what i've used for years, but might experiment a bit in L9. To me it make a big difference to the usability of live.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:43 pm 

What is this thing you call a mouse? Image

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:33 am 

funken wrote:
What is this thing you call a mouse? Image

If you make a 30 minute video of you producing without using a mouse/trackpad/trackball where it is obvious that the workflow is fast and fluent, I'm willing to give your mouse-less-project a try ;) Just showing a couple of tricks will not make it... Needs to be a video that is unedited to be believable..!

PS: funken, I like what you're doing for the community and if I were you I'd make that logo in your signature a bit better (seems like it is not the right format for web). I'm saying because I am far from a graphics designer but I can tell it is something "wrong"! Hope this thought does not offend you..

Anyway, hope you'll make that long video, because I'm sure I can get some good tips from it even if I continue using my mouse...

My newest additions of mouse-shortcuts are:

zoom in and out
full-screen-toggle
duplicate duplicate time
groove-pool-toggle

So now I only have 6 more slots to program. Will probably tweak the ones I have though. Hoping to make some browser-shortcuts too, but need to try live 9 before assigning anything.