Live 9 Pricing

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
heavensdaw

Re: Live 9 Pricing

Post by heavensdaw » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:46 pm

crumhorn wrote:Giving a smaller discount to Live 8 Suite owners compared to those with Live 8 Standard is just wrong. Operator + Sampler + Electric + Collision + Tension + Analog + extra content, residual value 25 ????? eh? not feeling pleased with Ableton right now.
Careful you may start sounding like a whinny whine-bag!! now back in your hole you 'orrible ungrateful lil toerag ;)

Hd

CFM

Post by CFM » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:19 pm

Well I'm still in shock that Ableton believe Live 9 is the best DAW on the market that after 5th March new users will be charge: £559 for suite. The competition... Pro Tools 10 £459, Cakewalk Sonar X2 £385, Cuebase 7 Advance £435 (prices from DV24/7 as of 26/02/2013). I really like Live but I know as a company you have to have a sensible market strategy and a product that is competitively priced.

As a company you have to ask why would Customer 'C' buy product 'L' over product 'P'? Product 'L' being Live and 'P' protools! Live has many great features but so does every other DAW and in the end for many it will be price. At the moment I feel Ableton have mispriced themselves out of many new customers pockets.

DLVR

Post by DLVR » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:38 pm

funken wrote: Why don't you upgrade to Suite now, and get the free upgrade to Suite 9? That should be 25% off still as far as I know. I did write to Ableton but have had no confirmation.
That's exactly what I was trying to do. The $299 is the price for that WITH the 25% discount 8O

login

Post by login » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:16 pm

CFM wrote:Well I'm still in shock that Ableton believe Live 9 is the best DAW on the market that after 5th March new users will be charge: £559 for suite. The competition... Pro Tools 10 £459, Cakewalk Sonar X2 £385, Cuebase 7 Advance £435 (prices from DV24/7 as of 26/02/2013). I really like Live but I know as a company you have to have a sensible market strategy and a product that is competitively priced.

As a company you have to ask why would Customer 'C' buy product 'L' over product 'P'? Product 'L' being Live and 'P' protools! Live has many great features but so does every other DAW and in the end for many it will be price. At the moment I feel Ableton have mispriced themselves out of many new customers pockets.

I believe in some way this is the last time they will milk the users based on the unique features (session and racks) of live. After bitwig comes, customers will have more options.

Also you are comparing Suite to ther DAW's 2nd tier version, or daw's that dont come with so much content and instruments.

CFM

Post by CFM » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:54 pm

Also you are comparing Suite to ther DAW's 2nd tier version,
I wish I was but I'm not :cry: Sonar Producer X2 price quoted, Cuebase 7 full-top version not base version and pro tools - well is pro tools!

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:57 pm

login wrote:Also you are comparing Suite to ther DAW's 2nd tier version, or daw's that dont come with so much content and instruments.
i was thinking this too.

i just got Cubase 6.5 which had a grace period update to Cubase 7 but it was pretty much $500... now... i can purchase their full VST bundle for $299.00. sounds like $800 to me.

i am highly doubting that Pro-Tools will be any better - plus the last time i paid any attention, if you want to get everything Pro-Tools has to offer... you need some hardware that costs more than Push.

Logic hasn't been updated in... what 4 years? so there goes the Ableton took 3 years argument...

the whole "but other DAWs" argument is full of holes.

Sage

Post by Sage » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:38 am

Bit of a shame the upgrade price is for one week only and then goes back to being totally unjustifiable in my opinion.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:53 am

Evil_Banana wrote:
quiet_ou wrote:No, ignorance is just ignorance. Maybe there is other software that beats Live hollow. In fact, I would like to know what else is out there - any tool that I can learn about is good...
It's not so much about what else is out there, that's only a matter of preference, just like Windows vs OSX vs Linux is. You can compare numbers and features, but in the end it's all about what floats your boat and makes you work better.
And no, the prices aren't off the chart either.
But I suppose you're not a Suite-owner that already paid 650 for its software? Ableton's communication has been sub-par to non existing, Suite-owners were first left out, then strung along with the promise of a "special offer" for 4 months and finally received 50E discount as "special" offer. On top of that Suite-owners get 1 single week to make the decision to purchase with discount and there's no discount if they don't go all the way at all. All while newcomers or not fully upgrade Live-users get far better deals.
For comparison:
Upgrade from Live 8 Suite (650Euro MSRP) to L9 Suite = 249 Normal price, 199 "Special offer"
Upgrade from Live 8 Standard (350Euro MSRP) to Live 9 Suite = 299 Normal Price, 224 Pre-order

So, When you don't have Suite, you get 25Euro MORE discount. Even at normal prices the difference is minimal. The 300Euro you paid extra for your Suite? It's worth 50 or 25 at upgrade, and that extra business apparently has even less value to Ableton since they reward new customers with the biggest discounts.
They screwed up the website, they forgot to communicate, they messed up the pricing at launch and didn't fare much better since. After 3 years of waiting and fucking with an unstable L8, and then being strung along for another 4 months, you have to put up with this crap on top of that. And what they basically give you in return for all that crap is Audio to midi (cool), improve clip automation (finally), included an existing compressor, finally fixed that retarted browser to the same standard of everyone else, added a couple of visuals to 4 existing plugins, added all their already existing libraries and M4L, and as for M4L they claim includes 24 fantastic plugins without much explanation of what they do or how they work (thus what you actually get). Not even a picture.
And if you don't need Suite, you get F all discount, half of what I listed above and you get downgraded to some mutated Live Standard hybrid with Suite plugins.

The ignorance is not so much in believing that Live is better than others which is a matter of taste as I said, but rather condoning and encouraging them to be treated this way by supporting them with more money without even complaining about their fuck-ups and lack of appreciation for customer loyalty. And yes, we're not changing the world here, I'm no idealist, but we can at least try steering it a bit more in the right direction by being critical and voicing your opinion. If you have Suite and you were as excited about this upcoming release as many were, then this cattle-treatment is a cold shower. If not and you buy Live Suite right now, you will probably get the sensation when Live 10 releases.

And are there fundamentally unfixed problems with Live? Well, apart from still not having dual monitor support... I don't know. Haven't seen L9 up close yet. However Live 8 was a problemchild for a long long time. So giving people only a single week to try out software to see if it's as problematic or not... it's not much decision-time and feels a lot like being pressured into a sale.
pretty much what he/she said.
except that they broke the browser instead of fixing it. at the least if you want to use your own content instead of their content.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:20 am

friend_kami wrote:except that they broke the browser instead of fixing it. at the least if you want to use your own content instead of their content.
this is the real ding for me.

in the beta i've liked the aspect of the browser functionality... i type snare and BOOM! a list of snares pops up. what i did not do however, was try it with additional (non-Ableton) content.

-1 Live
+1 nays

DJ_Zombot

Post by DJ_Zombot » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:32 pm

friend_kami wrote:
Evil_Banana wrote:
quiet_ou wrote: Upgrade from Live 8 Suite (650Euro MSRP) to L9 Suite = 249 Normal price, 199 "Special offer"
Upgrade from Live 8 Standard (350Euro MSRP) to Live 9 Suite = 299 Normal Price, 224 Pre-order
Where did you get $249 "Normal", $199 "Special Offer," because I got $299 normal and $249 "Special offer"?

kinkajou

Post by kinkajou » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:37 pm

he mentioned EUR not USD ;)

Davo

Post by Davo » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:28 pm

friend_kami wrote: except that they broke the browser instead of fixing it. at the least if you want to use your own content instead of their content.
Please explain. Is it not possible to browse and search anywhere on the hard disk in Live 9?

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:38 pm

Davo wrote:
friend_kami wrote: except that they broke the browser instead of fixing it. at the least if you want to use your own content instead of their content.
Please explain. Is it not possible to browse and search anywhere on the hard disk in Live 9?
Not unless you add all of your hdd's to lives database and let it index everything on your computer. So its either you cant browse everywhere, or you end up seeing every piece of media that exists on your computer. It also still doesnt update with any changes made while live was closed. i.e. you drop some new samples in an indexed location, then open live, you wont see those new samples. It only picks up changes that occurred while live was running

login

Post by login » Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:45 pm

Yeah the new browser forces you to work it's way: you have to have a well organized library, and your live presets should compy with the browser file structure.

If you do it it works great, if you don't it's a pile of shit.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:21 pm

login wrote:Yeah the new browser forces you to work it's way: you have to have a well organized library, and your live presets should compy with the browser file structure.

If you do it it works great, if you don't it's a pile of shit.
it takes choices away from you, so it's a steaming pile, period.
Worst new "feature" in 9.... think about it in terms of external hard drives, that you just want to browse audio clips on, not add them all to your library to do so.... bleh! Definitely a "what the hell were they thinking?" situation, but so far I see no uproar from the beta testers so Live 9 will ship with this "feature".