SHARING WORK WITH FRIENDS (COLLABERATIONS) PLEASE HELP!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3RDEGREE

SHARING WORK WITH FRIENDS (COLLABERATIONS) PLEASE HELP!!!

Post by 3RDEGREE » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:55 am

My buddy and I want to share our work with each other for collaborations but we keep having difficulties. We share the same plug-ins and samples yet we still can't seem to get any audio when we download each others work. Any suggestions on how we might be able to resolve this issue?

tecgen

Re: SHARING WORK WITH FRIENDS (COLLABERATIONS) PLEASE HELP!!!

Post by tecgen » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:14 am

Try the "Collect All and Save" feature before sharing your project.

eddiex

Post by eddiex » Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:05 pm

+1 collect all and save....i had the same issues when i first started sharing.
cloud>https://soundcloud.com/eddiexdarko
i love you,please don't die.

justchris86

Post by justchris86 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:12 pm

I was also wondering about this! thanks guys!
"Do not quote or read this text"

https://soundcloud.com/unnecessary-roughness-yyc

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:53 pm

all those .wav get heavy fast...i've found it best to decide at the outset who is going to produce, then you bouce mp3 back and forth, let one person add their bits, the other puts it all together

-1 for sending full sets and all that, imo it's really not necessary

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:11 pm

just use dropbox, and place the entire ableton set in a shared folder. That way, any changes you make will be instantly available, plus you retain versioning control through the dropbox cloud. Dead simple.

-1 to sharing mp3s, it means that your finished track will be based on degraded and converted material. Not necessary, in this day and age.

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:17 pm

lo.key wrote:just use dropbox, and place the entire ableton set in a shared folder. That way, any changes you make will be instantly available, plus you retain versioning control through the dropbox cloud. Dead simple.

-1 to sharing mp3s, it means that your finished track will be based on degraded and converted material. Not necessary, in this day and age.
i wasnt clear, mp3 to bounce ideas fast, wav for the actual mixing...

alexjholland

Post by alexjholland » Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:35 am

It's very easy to sync with Dropbox; and does NOT require .wavs to be stored inside your Projects.

Just ensure you guys keep identical sample folders, then collect and save (excluding the .wav).

I move seamlessly between my Macs making music; my Ableton projects are tiny because the .wavs are only referenced; and they open perfectly.

Worst case scenario, is you have to point the browser to your sample folder.

eblomquist

Post by eblomquist » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:55 pm

Alex,

Where do you store the wav's if not in dropbox?
I teach at Berklee. MacBook Pro, Push, APC-40, Ultralite, iOS devices, Axiom 61, BX8A's, LIVE 9 Suite, MicroBrute, KORG MS-20, AKAI S-612, GUILD STARFIRE II BASS/STARFIRE III GUITAR.
http://www.underwaterairport.com "Kuhli Loach" on Facebook

S4racen

Post by S4racen » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:56 pm

No ones mentioned Splice.com yet?

Cheers
D

eblomquist

Post by eblomquist » Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:30 pm

Is that good for sharing projects?
I teach at Berklee. MacBook Pro, Push, APC-40, Ultralite, iOS devices, Axiom 61, BX8A's, LIVE 9 Suite, MicroBrute, KORG MS-20, AKAI S-612, GUILD STARFIRE II BASS/STARFIRE III GUITAR.
http://www.underwaterairport.com "Kuhli Loach" on Facebook

Garry Knight

Post by Garry Knight » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:59 pm

S4racen wrote:No ones mentioned Splice.com yet?
Or Blend.io
Garry Knight

alexjholland

Post by alexjholland » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:55 am

Hey, since that post (a year or two back) I upgraded to Dropbox 100Gb, which has since again been upgraded to 1Tb, so all my sample folders are kept synchronised too.

You can still run a Dropbox sync without doing this.

I had the sample folders kept locally on each hard drive and whenever adding samples, would manually add them to both folders.

Doing a Collect and Save meant that any .wavs I had put into a file and manipulated/modified in any way would then have copies saved into the Ableton project folders, which were synched.

Again though, moving everything onto Dropbox makes life a lot more simple.

Stromkraft

Post by Stromkraft » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:31 pm

eblomquist wrote:Is that good for sharing projects?
Splice is great I think. You still need to think trough what tracks to freeze — those with devices the other party doesn't have — and make sure collaboration projects are saved in the Splice folder of choice, that you only use one set file (previous versions are backed up into Splice) and that you store all recordings (and devices that can be shared, like free ones) within the project folder.

Splice will let you know it it doesn't find all files. Remember also to write something for each important save so the other party can see it on their timeline.
Make some music!

The_Subject

Post by The_Subject » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:56 pm

just use dropbox, and place the entire ableton set in a shared folder. That way, any changes you make will be instantly available, plus you retain versioning control through the dropbox cloud. Dead simple.
tried, didn't help us, but we were having tracks that (whilst still being edited) were running 16+ GBs.

Dunno if I'm approaching a breach of the rules here by promoting anti-copyright programs, BUT....BitTorrent Sync - a new thing I found the other day where you sync a folder on your computer/someone else's computer via BitTorrent, and (I haven't used it yet, I'm about to set it up for my project) in theory, it creates a torrent file that only you/they then have and automatically updates to newest versions, adds newest files etc.

Pro being, torrents are fast to transfer, and in theory this is all automatic and you're both constantly working from the same set of files - we could both even have the same project open (I play in ableton, we edit in cubase) so both have the cubase open and as I tweak my drum file and save, his drums will update, and as he does the synth, mine updates to...theoretically, although that may get into issues with file not found.

Con being, maybe keep a back up at every stage your happy with, you don't want your friend to ruin a track thinking their improving it, I work very well with my band mates but even nine years down the line, occasionally we see things differently and I might do a version to emphasize what I hear as great in something, and one of the others finds what they liked about it is gone. But you should back-up anyway!