Question Reason Owner for Ableton live 8 upgrade to 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Melencolia

Question Reason Owner for Ableton live 8 upgrade to 9

Post by Melencolia » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:29 am

Hello,

I'm a reason owner but since there is an offer untill this weekend for Ableton Live with 25% off with a free upgrade to 9 left me in doubt.
Should I buy Ableton, is it an upgrade to have Ableton next to Reason or is Reason itself enough.
I know this is a Ableton forum but I would appreciate it if you can tell me if a buck spend is a well spend one,.

Oh yes, I make mostly Metal based music, and pop songs.

re:dream

Re: Question Reason Owner for Ableton live 8 upgrade to 9

Post by re:dream » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:28 am

I used to work with Reason & the shift to Live has been incomparable.

The most obvious reason (ahem) is the open architecture and the ability to use other software; but the sound quality, the ease of use and the flexibility are miles better.

You won't regret acquiring Live.

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:16 pm

Why don't you just install the demo & try for yourself?

7redBl@dder

Post by 7redBl@dder » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:25 pm

reason user here too.
Have to say i do like reason,but it's attempts
to be a fully fledged DAW have failed IMO.
In terms of midi it's still in the last century,can't drag
and drop anything and the new rack extensions are a
bit so so.
As a giant plug in for live it's great,just create an external
instrument track,make the right connections and Bingo.
Get Live 9 my friend and have the best of both worlds.

Post by re:dream » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:46 pm

7redBl@dder wrote: As a giant plug in for live it's great,just create an external
instrument track,make the right connections and Bingo.
Get Live 9 my friend and have the best of both worlds.
what he said

there are some fab synths in reason

you have to bounce your reason tracks to audio though before you do a mixdown / export audio.

Melencolia

Post by Melencolia » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:19 pm

Szuumm wrote:Why don't you just install the demo & try for yourself?
Because in four days the "buy Live 8 and get 9 for free" ends.
I think it's impossible to learn a DAW in four days....

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:25 pm

I would still prefer to try it myself over relying on other people's opinions, but it's your money :)

Post by re:dream » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:44 pm

Melencolia wrote:
Szuumm wrote:Why don't you just install the demo & try for yourself?
Because in four days the "buy Live 8 and get 9 for free" ends.
I think it's impossible to learn a DAW in four days....

Not the same as the demo

I started Live by downloading the demo. I would just have a look, I thought. i can give it up any time, I thought.

Melencolia

Post by Melencolia » Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:07 pm

Well, I should have said earlier that I already own, since a month or so ableton live 8 lite.
Because I am so used to Reason and Record I find it though to get used to. But I like some things you can do with it.
So if I use it longer and in a couple of months I decided I want to have it, it will sat me back another 150 bucks extra then if i buy it today.
So its a bit of a gamble for me....

BoddAH

Post by BoddAH » Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:58 pm

I just sold Reason 6.5 licence and I'm going to get Live 9 Suite.

Reason is an excellent learning tool. In fact I started with Live 4 years ago and had a hard time understanding complex routing and such. After using Reason everything seems much more logical in Live as well which is great but now actually using Reason feels slow, convoluted and awkward compared to Live. I feel very limited.

The dongle key, the inferior proprietary RE format (limited SDK) and the fact that you don't really own and can't sell REs was the final nail in the coffin for me. Reason isn't even the legendary "stable" and "rock solid" software it used to be anymore. In fact, due to many pretty terribly coded REs and efforts from Ableton it is probably more buggy than Live 9 now...

I just sold Reason. With the new Live 9 M4L devices, Reason isn't even better for messing around with "CV" signals anymore. Which was its signature feature. The MIDI editor is slow, half of the audio effects, midi devices and instruments are from another age and sound terrible (you're stuck with them unless you buy expensive REs that you don't even really own), the whole workflow is a mess once you're working on big projects with many Rack devices and Mixer channels and the visual feedback and cues are terrible or nonexistent most of the time for the sake of emulating old hardware which had nothing but little knobs most of the time, or little LEDs at best. And don't even get me started on audio editing and manipulation. If you don't buy Recycle it's basically nonexistent and even then the REX file format is abysmal compared to Live's audio manipulation features. It's just inferior in every single way. It really is. Think of any possible instrument, effect or feature of Reason and the Ableton equivalent will be the same or most of the time better.

I'll miss some if the synths but that's probably mainly because they grew on me. They weren't even particularly powerful or good-sounding. ReWire isn't worth the trouble IMHO and Suite pretty much makes all Reason instruments and effects redundant anyway.

I can't think of one single reason to keep using Reason which is sad because I really liked the community, the software itself and "the Props".

Unless you really like the skeumorhism and feel of Reason or grew up with real hardware, I'd take the jump and never look back.

Reason is fun to mess around with but for actually getting shit done, tingling your creativity via improvisation and risk-less, on-the-fly experimentation, I found Live to be MUCH better.

schullermusik

Post by schullermusik » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:23 pm

Although I really wanted Reason 6.5 to be the end-all, be-all solution for me, the sequencing falls way short, and the "cool factor" of virtual cables diminished quickly. I spent about 2 years working in Reason and then decided to go back to Live after years away. I've gotten more done in Live in the last 6 weeks than I did in that 2 years, mostly due to Reason's sequencer. I still have access to and occasionally use the sounds in Reason via ReWire, but Live Suite coupled with NI Komplete and a few softsynths gives me plenty of sounds and the most productive workflow I've ever experienced in a DAW.