All times are UTC

Post subject: Home studio setup... and sitting down v standing up
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:39 pm 

I am trying to figure out how to improve my home studio setup - particularly in terms of layout and space.

At the moment everything (keyboard, monitors, screen, mpd32, computer) is standing on a trestle table and it gets kind of crowded.

I kind of like raychem's setup on this page https://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=11535t&start=4845 but I also wonder about a sitting-down setup.

Has anyone created a setup meant for making music standing up? I am increasingly unhapp with the sitting down crouching over a mouse kind of approach to making music...

live 9.1.2, OS mavericks, push, stray's script, MPD32/LD8, stc, access virus kc, but no elektron octatrack

Post subject: Re: Home studio setup... and sitting down v standing up
PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:27 pm 

Can't answer standing up vs sitting as I typically am sitting in my chair using mouse or synth/LPD8/padKontrol. But from your picture why don't you put your desktop under the table? Instant room for re-arranging some of your gear to give you more room to work. Just my opinion.

Mike

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:31 pm 

I rehearsed from time to time in a studio with a high table, made for standing. it made us make better music. was more like performing. I liked it!!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:26 pm 

I both sit & stand.

I put the main controllers, computer keyboard, trackball, & a coupe of small tactile effects units on a shelf that I can set on a low or a high stand depending on if I want to sit or stand. The near-field monitors & computer display are all on their own stands.

I have my music keyboard controller on a desk to my side when sitting, & it can also be set on another stand for when I want to work standing up. Pretty easy. Most everything in my studio can be reconfigured for standing, sitting in a chair, or sitting on the floor.

I also work in quad, so both my sitting & standing setups can be easily moved into the center of the quad field to maximize the spatialization. I have 3 pairs of monitors: the near-fields away from the walls, & the four quad monitors closer to the walls

Sitting in a chair a lot is not only poor for health, I find it far less creatively inspirational than either standing or sitting on the floor. For years I had my setup on the floor.

You can easily explore this by getting a hold of a few simple configurable gear stands & shelves.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:33 am 

Good advice, thanks

I realized this morning that I should put the computer tower under the desk. And I think that the Virus can be played standing up or sitting down where it is. Maybe I can find a way of lifting it 5 cm. The main thing is to lift the screen and monitors a bit so that I am not stooping... And I think I will try to find a sloping bracket so that the MPD 32 does not lie flat but is angled for easy access.

live 9.1.2, OS mavericks, push, stray's script, MPD32/LD8, stc, access virus kc, but no elektron octatrack