All times are UTC

Post subject: Chord Progression Database
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:56 am 

I’m thinking about creating a website/wiki where you can search for a chord progression and return a list of songs that use that progression. There's an option to search for specific chord names (Aminor, BMajor, C7, etc) and also in scale degrees (I,II,III, IV, etc). For Jazz, we already have ‘Fake Books’ that outline the chord progressions and melody lines for the tune, but you’re limited to the songs in the books you own and there is no way to SEARCH them.

Why this would be useful:
-Chord Identification: Search the song name, get the chords back. Super useful for comping piano and guitar players, but also slightly useful for lazy people making remixes who don’t want to spend 5 minutes figuring out the progression.

-Sampling: You’ve written a song with the progression II/V/I and you want to sample some vocals over it. Instead of rummaging through your acapella library searching through lines that don’t work over the changes, you can find a list of songs that will work instantly... and probably turn yourself on to some artists you wouldn’t have thought of in the first place.

-Music Analysis: People have already done studies where they analyze the progressions of popular music to try to find patterns, but they usually never publish the database from which they get their results (and if they do, it's not searchable by progression- http://www.hooktheory.com/analysis/). If a database existed with thousands of entries, it would serve as an amazing (publicly available) dataset.

The design I'm working on is user-supported, so people can add whatever they want. I'm also considering adding BPM and key information and other stuff like that. What do you guys think?

Last edited by infernal.machine on Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Chord Progression Database
PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:00 am 

"Chorgle"

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:09 am 

yur2die4 wrote:
"Chorgle"

GENIUS!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:32 am 

Band In A Box ? Closer, at least...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:00 pm 

sounds like a horrible idea

if that type of cookie cutter style of song writing was actually useful anyone could have hit songs

sounds like a good idea if youre trying to milk money out of people i guess... sell them the dream

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:14 pm 

^ you forgot the educational aspect :P ^

Sometimes when you're learning, you've gotta ease up on the ego. I've read tons of interviews from people I respect in music stating how one of their best ways to learn how to get their own sound, was picking apart the sound of others. Even straight up copying.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:51 pm 

...it needs way more than the right chord progression to get a hit....

and chorgle sounds like a plan......

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:07 am 

Sounds good. I would add two fields for genre. One is required for every entry and has a set list of general genres (electronic, rock, jazz, pop, etc) that anyone who has bought music can relate to. The second, optional field allows the user to enter in a more specific genre tag. That way, more casual/sane learners can browse by the types they already know, while the superfans/geeks/pundits can peruse all post-modern country pop songs with a i V I6 iiº progression in the chorus.

edit: I guess it's called "genre" and "subgenre". Duuurrr...

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:27 am 

It's a great idea but it does seem like a LOT of work. would be an interesting research tool for music geeks as well as a valuable source when you are out of ideas, sorting songs by date would be interesting to see when certain chord progressions were first used and the way they've evolved over time.

(Allow me to plug my guitar scale visualiser thingy - www.fretlearner.com)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:19 pm 

yur2die4 wrote:
^ you forgot the educational aspect :P ^

Sometimes when you're learning, you've gotta ease up on the ego. I've read tons of interviews from people I respect in music stating how one of their best ways to learn how to get their own sound, was picking apart the sound of others. Even straight up copying.

absolutely agree here