All times are UTC

Post subject: Scrolling in Live the easy way - large gif warning
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:54 am 

Hi. Just been chatting to a Japanese genius. Worked out a new way to scroll vertically and horizontally on a mac, without using mouse keys. It simply involves 2 keys, the right command key combined with h,j,k,l. This is easy enough to do with one hand. It is quick, but nice and smooth, very controlled and easy (smoother than in the gif below obviously). On the vertical scroll, a brief tap at standard zoom scrolls one octave. Works in all parts of Live including the Browser. Details soon.

Post subject: Re: Scrolling in Live the easy way - large gif warning
PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:06 pm 

To make this gif self explanatory, it would be better to add the shortcuts as text overlay... I guess many screencast-apps can record the pressed buttons and do that automatically.

or just add the text with paint or gimp into the single frames (you can edit the time for each frame, so just make the ones with added text longer). Also cutting out a part of the screen (f.ex. bottom right) would be enough to keep filesize down.

just my 2ct.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:58 pm 

Cheers #1. It needs a tutorial actually, which I will be doing soon. You have to get some free software and then create or install an .xml file, which I will upload when I've finished it. Meanwhile you can read the existing version here:
Easy ways to control Live 9
This gives the KeyRemap Mouse Keys version, which is also good. I would recommend this one for certain situations.

The shortcuts for the new one are:

cmd h scroll left
cmd j scroll down
cmd k scroll up
cmd l scroll right

I am gonna try to get it to work with arrow keys as well. The cmd has to be the right hand cmd key.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:00 pm 

Right, success! I've worked out how to program it more and I have done the folowing:

right hand alt key plus arrow keys to scroll in 4 directions easily with one hand. This is very useful!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:08 am 

Mouse Locator is better than OmniDazzle for finding your cursor (it won't crash or screw up on display changes for example):

http://www.2point5fish.com/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:49 am 

Nice find fishmonkey, I agree it is more practical. I've added it to the tutorial, thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:58 am 

I've updated the tutorial now to include the .xml file I made for scrolling without mouse keys.