All times are UTC

Post subject: Video in Live - does anyone use it?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:19 am 

Hi there

I've never seen any posts in this forum about Live's video functionality.

When Live first came out with video functionality, I thought it an odd move. I wondered if Live was increasingly going to add a lot of features that did not only have to do with making music, but which tried to hit other markets.

The silence on video on this forum makes me think it's not really taken off. is that so?

And, will support for video continue (or expand) in 9 and beyond?

live 9.1.2, OS mavericks, push, stray's script, MPD32/LD8, stc, access virus kc, and my life is a never ending tub of awesome

Post subject: Re: Video in Live - does anyone use it?
PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:31 am 

Well, it's handy for sound design, if you're working on a film or video or something. You can drop in small renders and use it to sync audio to vision, then render out the audio for video syncing in a more professional video app. I actually did a live set with video outputting from Live once, straight from arrangement with locators and stuff like that. Rudimnetary, but fun at the time. I guess most video stuff happens with M4L now? I personally found that cumbersome, and rely on VDMX for serious video stuffs.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:14 am 

Yeah, I've had used live a couple of times to soundtrack short films, so its good for that. In general i've worked with a lower res version of the video, just so i don't cause the laptop cpu to catch fire. I've done some experimental video work just by resequencing footage and youtube rips and jpegs in the arrangement window. If I want to take audio_work out of the arrangement paradigm I generally use the Jitter library in Max for Live. There's some really good max for live video patches out there. Max 6.1 64bit currently doesn't have particularly great video support... I think its linked to its reliance on quicktime, but I could be wrong... Anyway Max for Live 9 is better for video work in its 32bit incarnation... Which is a windup because Live 9 64bit is pretty great.
Edit: i think Live's video support will remain static.. max handles video and is readily developed. Live can play video in arrangement and can therefore by used for soundtracking.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:33 pm 

It's very handy for writing music to match up with a movie segment.
it's one reason I've not used the 64 bit version of Live, on windows video doesn't work in Live 64 bit. I tried to workarounds with no success.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:04 pm 

I use it everyday for sound/music to picture.
I recommend converting the video file to JPEG images. There's a topic on this in the forum. Actually, there's a few topic about video here and there if you search well.
If you encounter a slowing Live behaviour, you can cut and use pieces of your video file, it will help. But most of the time it works well.
Unfortunately there's no frame-based grid in Live.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:40 pm 

Also using it to score movies.
It's really a bonus, but could be improved a lot ! For instance having a preview line.