Using Novation Zero SL Mk2 without Automap, help appreciated

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lolalola

Using Novation Zero SL Mk2 without Automap, help appreciated

Post by lolalola » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:46 pm

Just picked up a Novation Zero SL Mk2 which I want to use for gigs instead of my APC40 (as it basically fits better in my flight case!).
I'm struggling to get my head around midi mapping it though...
With any other controller I've had, I simply press cmd+M to go into midi mapping mode, click on the area I want to control, turn the knob on my controller, and then I'm done. But with the Zero SL that's not happening! :( Here's what happens :

1/ I turn on the controller, the screen says 'automap is offline'. The red automap button is lit.
2/ I press the lit button to turn it off. Try to map stuff, doesn't let me.

For some reason it DID work around an hour ago. I saved that as a set with the mapped instruments and mapped sliders for volumes, but when I re-opened the set, those presets weren't stored. I never have this issue with the APC40 - help!!

petal

Re: Using Novation Zero SL Mk2 without Automap, help appreciated

Post by petal » Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:52 pm

It looks like you have your "old" APC40 selected under control Surface/Input/Output. Have you tried to change this to the Zero SL?

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:00 pm

petal wrote:It looks like you have your "old" APC40 selected under control Surface/Input/Output. Have you tried to change this to the Zero SL?
There's no Novation Zero SL listed there in the drop down menu though....?

petal

Post by petal » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:07 pm

Have you tried the "RemoteSL"? - that is the one that I'm using for my Novation Zero SL :)

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:21 pm

petal wrote:Have you tried the "RemoteSL"? - that is the one that I'm using for my Novation Zero SL :)
Ok, so sort of works that way now, but bizarre things start to happen when I turn knobs on one instrument - it arms the track to record, it jumps back in the arrangement, etc. Is there no way I can over-write everything and map the knobs to how I would like?

petal

Post by petal » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:32 pm

Hmm, maybe it's because your's is a MK2. You might have to install the "automap" stuff in order to install the right driver. And then not use/choose the automap in the setup.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:23 pm

Here is what is happening:

In Automap mode, it asks for software to be installed. This isn't completely necessary though.

In Control Surface mode, it is 'listening' for the cc and note #'s used in the Ableton Live preset (recall that preset, and you can use the Ableton Live control surface preset, it is very exciting! Includes on screen display of parameters) Things in this page would still be mappable, but it is less confusing if you do this While in the Ableton Live preset.

If you do not want to use that mode, then choose None for the Control Surface setting (as you had it before), choose a nice preset Other than the Ableton Live one in your controller (The Live one kind of 'waits' for the control surface script to wake it up), and then in a non Ableton mode (GM should be safe!), map things to your heart's content.

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:54 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Here is what is happening:

In Automap mode, it asks for software to be installed. This isn't completely necessary though.

In Control Surface mode, it is 'listening' for the cc and note #'s used in the Ableton Live preset (recall that preset, and you can use the Ableton Live control surface preset, it is very exciting! Includes on screen display of parameters) Things in this page would still be mappable, but it is less confusing if you do this While in the Ableton Live preset.

If you do not want to use that mode, then choose None for the Control Surface setting (as you had it before), choose a nice preset Other than the Ableton Live one in your controller (The Live one kind of 'waits' for the control surface script to wake it up), and then in a non Ableton mode (GM should be safe!), map things to your heart's content.

When you say choose a preset, how do I do that? Clicking on the centre knob on the controller? And is this correct now? :

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:09 pm

You can try two different things. I suggest messing with each. But yeah, I have the key version, I change presets by pressing the knob, then tapping a corresponding knob or button below the LCD. There should also be a page up/down for a total of 32 presets.

1. You can try it as you have it now, use a GM preset and midi map things. It should just work.

2. You can set this up: http://youtu.be/0abuwG63DFg
That gives you instant access to volumes, and when you drag a device in you can see the parameters on your LCD to control. You can still map the bottom row of knobs.

Try out each method! Good learning for understanding the tools at your disposal, and deciding performance possibilities :D

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:29 pm

yur2die4 wrote:You can try two different things. I suggest messing with each. But yeah, I have the key version, I change presets by pressing the knob, then tapping a corresponding knob or button below the LCD. There should also be a page up/down for a total of 32 presets.

1. You can try it as you have it now, use a GM preset and midi map things. It should just work.

2. You can set this up: http://youtu.be/0abuwG63DFg
That gives you instant access to volumes, and when you drag a device in you can see the parameters on your LCD to control. You can still map the bottom row of knobs.

Try out each method! Good learning for understanding the tools at your disposal, and deciding performance possibilities :D
I just can't figure this out! :( How do I "use a GM preset"?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:30 pm

When you press the dial, it displays different presets on the LCD, right?

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:35 pm

yur2die4 wrote:When you press the dial, it displays different presets on the LCD, right?
When I press the 'speed dial', the lcd shows 2 rows, the 1st row shows "Stations SuprNova FLStudio StylsRMX Resolum2 Virus MKS50 Learn"
and underneath that row "GM From0 1to8 JV1080a JV1080b JV1080c JV1080d TX81Za"

The '1to8' is blinking ....

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:38 pm

Two things you should know about that page.

1. To select a preset, you simply tap a related knob or button. Top row of knobs and bottom row of knobs etc.

2. There is actually a way to switch pages, there are a total of 32 presets. I don't for sure recall how to, it might be mentioned in that YouTube video.

It looks like the bottom left one is the preset you might use.

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:45 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Two things you should know about that page.

1. To select a preset, you simply tap a related knob or button. Top row of knobs and bottom row of knobs etc.

2. There is actually a way to switch pages, there are a total of 32 presets. I don't for sure recall how to, it might be mentioned in that YouTube video.

It looks like the bottom left one is the preset you might use.

Still not letting me map anything... I've chosen Control surface as 'none' like you said...?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:49 pm

That is very strange. With the Remote buttons turned on, it should let you map. You are sure that you are out of Automap mode? Did you hit the midi map button, the screen turned blue, you clicked on an object, wiggled a dial, exited map mode?

Also, try closing Live, and then opening it while the controller is still on.