Using Novation Zero SL Mk2 without Automap, help appreciated

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lolalola

Re: Using Novation Zero SL Mk2 without Automap, help appreciated

Post by lolalola » Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:59 pm

yur2die4 wrote:That is very strange. With the Remote buttons turned on, it should let you map. You are sure that you are out of Automap mode? Did you hit the midi map button, the screen turned blue, you clicked on an object, wiggled a dial, exited map mode?

Also, try closing Live, and then opening it while the controller is still on.
Yep, all of the above. I'm in template 10, which appears to be an empty template (when I click a button for template 4, for example, that shows 'Spectraso' briefly in the screen - 10 shows nothing) - I can only think my midi settings aren't correct? :

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:05 pm

Try having Port 2 on also. I hope I'm not annoying you haha. It is challenging to explain things in just text, can be a but vague. I'm really trying : )

Click on any of the blue spots and try moving a knob. See if anything shows up on the left of the screen.

Do you ever have trouble midi mapping your APC?

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:07 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Try having Port 2 on also. I hope I'm not annoying you haha. It is challenging to explain things in just text, can be a but vague. I'm really trying : )

Click on any of the blue spots and try moving a knob. See if anything shows up on the left of the screen.

Do you ever have trouble midi mapping your APC?
Noooo, I hope I'm not annoying you!! I need this sorted! :lol:
The APC40 I literally plugged in and mapped out of the box. Nah, still nothing... Am I maybe in the wrong template?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Press the speed dial in to show presets.

Then try tapping the leftmost knob on the bottom row.

Did you buy this controller new?

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:14 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Press the speed dial in to show presets.

Then try tapping the leftmost knob on the bottom row.

Did you buy this controller new?
Nah, used, ebay.. I don't think it's not working, just not working for me! Very hard to describe this in this way I guess! :)
Did that - GM template 9 it says quickly before disappearing...

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:17 pm

I'd try out the other method, the Ableton Live preset, with Control Surface support.

If that method Also does not work, there may be a changed setting on the device, and it might require a factory reset. Usually the manual explains options for that. The manual should be on their page.

Also on their page is Automap. It might end up being your workaround if you can't get the controller working directly.

With Automap, they also update the drivers on your controller if necessary.

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:22 pm

yur2die4 wrote:I'd try out the other method, the Ableton Live preset, with Control Surface support.

If that method Also does not work, there may be a changed setting on the device, and it might require a factory reset. Usually the manual explains options for that. The manual should be on their page.

Also on their page is Automap. It might end up being your workaround if you can't get the controller working directly.

With Automap, they also update the drivers on your controller if necessary.
Yeah, I'll try to figure out the factory reset. I'd rather not use automap if I can help it though....

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:24 pm

Do you know how to change pages on the Preset selection page? It might be described in the video I linked. Don't be deceived by the title, it explains much more than just using Automap.

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:31 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Do you know how to change pages on the Preset selection page? It might be described in the video I linked. Don't be deceived by the title, it explains much more than just using Automap.
that vid is for Automap...?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:35 pm

Only part of it, most of it is for using te controller as a Control Surface.

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:36 pm

yur2die4 wrote:Only part of it, most of it is for using te controller as a Control Surface.
Yeah, I've watched it through twice now, nothing's helping there either...!

petal

Post by petal » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:40 pm

First I think you need to use "port 2" in the settings. The reason why is in the manual somewhere.

Also, I think, in order to achieve what you are trying to do, you have to make or use a template on your zero SL that has cc's assigned to each knob. They will show on the display: "CC# "no"". Browse through your templates until you see cc's assigned to your knobs and faders, and stick to that. The template I'm using is template no. 38.

Good luck.

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:41 pm

I think the last thing I can suggest is, when you hit the dial to select presets, try the Page button to select a different page. And then choose the Ableton preset?

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:49 pm

petal wrote:First I think you need to use "port 2" in the settings. The reason why is in the manual somewhere.

Also, I think, in order to achieve what you are trying to do, you have to make or use a template on your zero SL that has cc's assigned to each knob. They will show on the display: "CC# "no"". Browse through your templates until you see cc's assigned to your knobs and faders, and stick to that. The template I'm using is template no. 38.

Good luck.

Nada..
I HATE this controller. So not intuitive!

petal

Post by petal » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:55 pm

hmm.. ok, last try. Make it work with Automap (use the installation process to set it up correctly), to make sure you have it set up correctly, and then figure out how to use it without automap after that.

The way I have it set up, I can shift between using automap and the way you describe that you want to use it without by changing between 2 templates.