Using Novation Zero SL Mk2 without Automap, help appreciated

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
lolalola

Re: Using Novation Zero SL Mk2 without Automap, help appreciated

Post by lolalola » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:58 pm

petal wrote:hmm.. ok, last try. Make it work with Automap (use the installation process to set it up correctly), to make sure you have it set up correctly, and then figure out how to use it without automap after that.

The way I have it set up, I can shift between using automap and the way you describe that you want to use it without by changing between 2 templates.
Automap doesn't let me assign my own midi control though does it...? It just has pre-assigned stuff?

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:02 am

petal

Post by petal » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:02 am

It depends on which plugin you use.

But the goal is to make sure you have it set up correctly, as a first step :)

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:09 am

petal wrote:It depends on which plugin you use.

But the goal is to make sure you have it set up correctly, as a first step :)
It's installed, when I move a knob/slider, it moves in the automap window... I'll only be using this with Ableton vst's though? No 3rd party stuff.

petal

Post by petal » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:19 am

it's the connection between your zeroSL and Live that I'm not sure you have set up correctly.

I advice you to download the latest software from Novation and install it once again. It should walk you through the right process and get you up and running, ie: controlling knobs in Ableton with the ZeroSL.

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:22 am

petal wrote:it's the connection between your zeroSL and Live that I'm not sure you have set up correctly.

I advice you to download the latest software from Novation and install it once again. It should walk you through the right process and get you up and running, ie: controlling knobs in Ableton with the ZeroSL.
Yeah, I did that already.... but nothing is mapping still?

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:25 am

petal wrote:it's the connection between your zeroSL and Live that I'm not sure you have set up correctly.

I mean, I had this half working earlier without Automap, so it really must only be in my midi set up. I'm losing my mind at this point....

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:35 am

SO FAR this seems to work! :

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:40 am

..... ALTHOUGH the led's now don't light up on the top knobs!!!!

I based the midi settings from this link :

http://www.novationmusic.com/answerbase ... php?id=560

which has given me midi mapping (yay!), but no led's (boo) .... !?!??!? !!

humnumb

Post by humnumb » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:51 am

I can relate to your pain. I went from SL Remote 25 to Maschine and couldn't be happier. Maschine's automapping just works and there's no need to go through installing a middle man software like you do with Novation Automap. Novation's Automap also requires you to manually make "wrapped" duplicates beforehand of any plugin you want automapped. Maschine simply automaps any plugin without needing to do anything and of course, you can customize your own automapping configuration for each plugin and save as default.

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:10 am

humnumb wrote:I can relate to your pain. I went from SL Remote 25 to Maschine and couldn't be happier. Maschine's automapping just works and there's no need to go through installing a middle man software like you do with Novation Automap. Novation's Automap also requires you to manually make "wrapped" duplicates beforehand of any plugin you want automapped. Maschine simply automaps any plugin without needing to do anything and of course, you can customize your own automapping configuration for each plugin and save as default.
I feel like I'm losing my mind! I just wanted a simple controller that wasn't heavy/large, had lots of knobs, 8 sliders, few pads... the APC40 was perfect, but just too many pads that I don't need for what I do live. And it's plug-n-play too, how simple!
I tried the older Evolution UC33, but I found I really needed lit knobs for a live situation. Otherwise, that'd have been fine.

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:24 am

It seems to be to do with the CC/menu settings, but I can't figure how/what exactly. For instance, I go to template 30 for example. I can map from there the sliders ok. If I map the knobs to macro knobs on my instrument, then they don't respond correctly. I turn a knob clockwise, and it's like the macro knob is resisting... sort of jerks around and freaks out a bit. If that makes sense.
Are there any global settings that you think I don't have correctly set up? I do see now that in this template (for example) the led's are working correctly as they should.....

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:02 am

lolalola wrote:It seems to be to do with the CC/menu settings, but I can't figure how/what exactly. For instance, I go to template 30 for example. I can map from there the sliders ok. If I map the knobs to macro knobs on my instrument, then they don't respond correctly. I turn a knob clockwise, and it's like the macro knob is resisting... sort of jerks around and freaks out a bit. If that makes sense.
Are there any global settings that you think I don't have correctly set up? I do see now that in this template (for example) the led's are working correctly as they should.....

FOLLOW UP -

I can get it to where the top row of knobs that I DON'T map still have lit-up led's. So if I map the first four, the last four light up. Err, strange...? Also, as for the spazzing out of the knobs, that seemed to have something to do with the value scaling/pick up preference in the midi settings.

If I map stuff in 'GM' as was suggested, that only maps macro knobs 1-8 in some of my Ableton device racks, not what I actually intended to map. It's very strange. 7 hours with this thing has actually taught me some stuff, though not all that stuff appears to make sense.

I really therefore need to find a preset template that is literally a blank slate for me! Any ideas... anyone?

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:32 am

They have an editor on their site. Supposedly a beta, indefinitely.

lolalola

Post by lolalola » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:48 am

yur2die4 wrote:They have an editor on their site. Supposedly a beta, indefinitely.
It's weird, I'm learning more about this thing, but there appears to be a lot of limitations. Like, in the Ableton preset mode it recognizes a lot of stuff instantly, which gives info in the lcd screen. I like that. However, it won't let me over-ride certain stuff - like, I need to assign these buttons to locator markers. It supposedly lets me add mid mapping to them, but they don't work in practice. So it's either I have the screen or I don't .... I suppose then I'm supposed to type in all this new info into the screen myself if I want to use a blank template? A shame, cos like I said, the Ableton preset one is cool otherwise.

Or I'll go to, say, 'Learn4', map a controller to say 'fade to grey' (which is just one knob), and it jumps right back to the Ableton preset. Argh!