What is so special about Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rap masta rj

What is so special about Live?

Post by rap masta rj » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:06 am

Let me start off by saying that I know Live pretty well inside and out, in terms of production; i've never performed with it.

Now when i bought it the main thing that appealed to me was the whole session view thing, and from what i've been looking up that is really the main thing that sets apart Live from the other DAWs.

However, i have found myself drifting away from session view and using arrangement for 90% of my work.
I've been noticing a lot of people complain about many different things that are getting taken away / not being put into the newest upgrade.
I do not have much experience with many other DAWs, i've dabbled in logic and i have some experience with FL studio.

My question is, would it be worth it to upgrade to Live 9 when i'm mostly working in arrangement, or would i benefit more from a different DAW?

I do enjoy things like setting up instrument racks and creating chains to split frequencies and what not, and being able to automate the shit out of basically everything. Are these things that can be accomplished just as easily in other DAWs?

I do think the upgrade is appealing, with automation in session view and curved automation, but I am just curious since I have little experience with much else.
Any thoughts are appreciated. :D

yur2die4

Re: What is so special about Live?

Post by yur2die4 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:11 am

I'm gradually beginning to notice the convenience of using the native effects in a nice long strip, visually accessible and inviting.

And Live works fast in some weird ways.

But trying other DAWs is a great way to learn more about other ways to work, and even bring more questions back into Live and find new approaches.

I think some enjoy consistency. I am more of an experimentalist...... so my opinion on this question can't really say much. Be free

rap masta rj

Post by rap masta rj » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:02 am

thanks for the replies. :)

I guess I can't really say what works best for me since i haven't really tried any other options, but the insight is great.

I have looked into getting both an apc40 and a launchpad because from what i've seen they let you accomplish things very easily in session view. the only reason i never invested in either is because i was afraid it would constrict my workflow to something that i'm not even used to.

Its not that i feel restricted in anyway, I find that i have everything i need. I was just curious whether i was missing out on essential features being someone that doesn't use live primarily for it's selling point. I do believe though if i upgrade i will definitely be using session view more due to session view automation.

Lumix

Post by Lumix » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:03 am

rack feature, freezing/flattering(i need a chortcut for that) and im using also more and more native effects from ableton. the way to easy record any audio into an audio channel.

the daw is prefect for creating drones. ive tried it in FL and failed hard.
what else? drum racks - so awesome to store all drums in one channel.
easy coloring of the gui. that makes live so special for me.
The Davile Insaide Teh Mashihne.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:45 am

What Funken said. Get an APC or Push when it comes out. It'll just make Session view all that much nicer.

I think it's worth upgrading. The new eq and compressor plus Max4Live stuff. It's all good
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Slacker4hire

Post by Slacker4hire » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:19 am

Lumix wrote:rack feature, freezing/flattering(i need a chortcut for that)
if you're on OS X you can add your own shortcut for this in system preferences.

rap masta rj

Post by rap masta rj » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:19 am

Thanks again for the responses.

Should I invest in an APC40/launchpad after i upgrade, which would you suggest? I've done my share of "APC40 vs launchpad" searches, but it couldn't hurt to get opinions after having heard what my workflow is like. As far as i know, launchpad is mainly for launching scenes and whatnot but the APC40 gives a much wider control.

agent314

Post by agent314 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:29 am

For me, Session view is such a great sketchpad and way to do multiple takes of the same thing, as well as a way to hold onto things I might want to use later but don't have a use for right now

I also love

For me, Session view is a big thing I love about Live, but I also love the ease of routing, and the ability to easily add multiple "buses" to a single track via racks

Also Drum Racks are great

Definitely get an APC/Launchpad/Push to unleash the possibilities of Session View. When I was trying to Session View with a mouse, session view felt clunky and cumbersome and like an extra step in the creative workflow.
Having the controller for it, it became way easier to audition pieces on the fly and change the arrangement/feel of different parts in real time

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:29 am

Re OP's question about the value of Ableton's Arrangement View:

Can you do this in other DAWs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZu6tsrhQIY

The Art Of Mr. Bill - Season 2 Episode 1

rap masta rj

Post by rap masta rj » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:49 am

Martin Gifford wrote:Re OP's question about the value of Ableton's Arrangement View:

I think this may have convinced me alone, and it really goes to show that its not the tools that make the music its the artist :D

[art]

Post by [art] » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:25 am

This might sound a little abstract, but I think one of the coolest things about Live is the culture that surrounds it, its userbase and community.

As it intermingled with cycling 74, and part of the history of the emergence of the software - I think arose a certain type of artist that was interested in Live.

Maybe it was more from the experimental world in the start, sound arts, sound design. And this continues, and today they also try to broaden their scope and audience.

Just my opinion, but I feel like Ableton has an experimental, performative heart, that maybe other DAW's - that focus purely on composition - don't have.

kevwestbeats

Post by kevwestbeats » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:16 am

When I first picked up live I wanted it because it was very different in terms of creativity but after using it for 9 months I find a lot of flaws with it but every DAW is flawed. I don't think its very friendly for mixing. Its possible just not as friendly as other tools. I hate the size of the Live devices. The drum rack is good and I love the slice to midi options. I wish it was better on cpu though and I don't want to buy another DAW but I have considered it a few times recently.
http://www.KevWestBeats.com
http://www.YouTube.com/DjKevWest
http://www.Facebook.com/KevWestbeats
http://www.Twitter.com/KevWestBeats

Live 9, Komplete 9, Maschine MK2, IK Total Studio, XLN Audio Addictive Keys and Addictive Drums, All of FXpansion's fx.

deva

Post by deva » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:19 am

rap masta rj wrote: I do enjoy things like setting up instrument racks and creating chains to split frequencies and what not, and being able to automate the shit out of basically everything. Are these things that can be accomplished just as easily in other DAWs?
Most DAW's have no equivalent for Live's Racks

and none that I know that are as elegant...

deva

Post by deva » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:24 am

rap masta rj wrote:Thanks again for the responses.

Should I invest in an APC40/launchpad after i upgrade, which would you suggest? I've done my share of "APC40 vs launchpad" searches, but it couldn't hurt to get opinions after having heard what my workflow is like. As far as i know, launchpad is mainly for launching scenes and whatnot but the APC40 gives a much wider control.
At this point, Push seems like the choice for controlling Live...

Martin Gifford

Post by Martin Gifford » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:41 am

rap masta rj wrote:
Martin Gifford wrote:Re OP's question about the value of Ableton's Arrangement View:

I think this may have convinced me alone, and it really goes to show that its not the tools that make the music its the artist :D
Then check out Tom Cosm's videos too. He's my favourite teacher. He really wakes me up and he's entertaining to watch and he's fast and he explains well. He also uses arrangement view a lot. And he mostly sticks to Ableton instruments and effects, so you really learn Ableton well. He's actually friends with Mr Bill.