keeping audio interface on

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rap masta rj

keeping audio interface on

Post by rap masta rj » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:55 pm

I have a Focusrite Saffire Pro firewire interface that i run my monitors through, and i have my audio in my iMac set to all go through it as well so that it plays on my monitors; i hate the sound of the built in iMac speakers. I was just wondering whether anyone knows whether this is bad for the interface to keep it on all the time even when i'm not doing audio related stuff? I do turn my monitors off when i'm not using them but the interface stays on since apparently it can be damaging to it to unplug it while the computer is on.

MAXTHEDOG

Re: keeping audio interface on

Post by MAXTHEDOG » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Hi,

If you can, leave everything on all the time. Electronic/Electrical gear hates being warmed up (turning on) and cooled down (turning off) repeatedly.

Seriously, turning things on and off is the surest way to shorten the life of the devices power supply. I wouldn't worry about the interface being on all the time, by all means eject it via the software on the Mac before pulling the USB lead out. The power amps in your active speakers are another matter though - they will definitely live longer if you leave them powered up.

I have various items in my studio - the only time they go off is erm well a power cut and an electrical i.e lightning storm. Definitely shut everything down AND pull the plugs out of the sockets. I don't trust the surge protectors no matter how much insurance they claim to give you, it's no consolation to get a new 1 TB hard drive when you can't transfer your files from the one that got fried......but you've got a back up drive haven't you that wasn't plugged in when the storm was raging. I speak from experience. :(

Whether the additional cost of the electricity is worth saving your gear from going pop one day, only you can answer.

Regards,

Max the Dog

rap masta rj

Post by rap masta rj » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:29 am

wow, thank you so much for the info. i would've never guessed that it would have been better to just keep my monitors on all the time, guess you learn something new everyday :P thanks again!

gnurf

Post by gnurf » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:40 am

Good to know, because I'm considering the same. My laptop has also basically been on for 4 years. Maybe it's true for all gear :)

K1D1M35N

Post by K1D1M35N » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:04 pm

gnurf wrote:Good to know, because I'm considering the same. My laptop has also basically been on for 4 years. Maybe it's true for all gear :)
Well, I'm not sure about laptops, because cooling can be a serious issue, and fan failures are common problems, especially with older machines. But seems you're lucky. ;)

gnurf

Post by gnurf » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:55 pm

K1D1M35N wrote:Well, I'm not sure about laptops, because cooling can be a serious issue, and fan failures are common problems, especially with older machines. But seems you're lucky. ;)
Best MacBook ever. Battery is like new, too :)
(Plus I've replaced the drive almost regularly, for more capacity.)

Are there any audio interfaces hot enough to actually require a fan?