Who thinks live 9 is a rip off? anyone else?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
comurit

Who thinks live 9 is a rip off? anyone else?

Post by comurit » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:56 pm

I've just downloaded live 9 demo (luckily) what a rip off guys.
My advice, try live 9 before you buy!!!!!
I'll stick to live 8 and logic 9.
Very disappointed !!!!!!
Anyone else?
Last edited by comurit on Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[art]

Re: Who think live 9 is a rip off? anyone else?

Post by [art] » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:01 pm

No.

I upgraded from Live 6 with Operator to Live 9 Suite incl. Max For Live for $260.

Mental deal if u ask me.

H20nly

Re: Who think live 9 is a rip off? anyone else?

Post by H20nly » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:04 pm

the box is a rip off.

comurit

Re: Who thinks live 9 is a rip off? anyone else?

Post by comurit » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:23 pm

@art
good for you, they want 169 euro from live 8 suite to live 9 suite!!!
crazy!! they won't see a penny from me anymore.
But I find that live 9 is not that big deal anyway.
I was interested into harmonize audio , but it isn't that good.

[art]

Post by [art] » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:57 pm

comruit - i was going to say this in another thread.

But, for 1 - if you've used Ableton long enough you notice these upgrade cycles. The newbies lose while the oldies win.

2, this practice actually encourages piracy if u ask me.

I used a crack of Live until I bought it (after the crack stopped working) - Live 5 - but got it at the cusp of a new version - so got a free upgrade to 6.

7 came out and I couldn't afford it. But I was happy with 6. Then 8 comes out and my mate has a full crack of suite. And here I am - I actually own the damn software - but I end up going back to a crack.

Now the 8 deal comes along with free 9 upgrade, and to me, that was time to upgrade.

So it's as if there are these bell curves over the life cycle of the software. Unless it was like registering your car every year, where you pay a yearly fee, it's damn hard to keep up.

It's expensive to stay on the cusp. But by the time Live 10 or 11 comes out the guys with 8 will have a mad deal while all the people with the version before will be tearing their hair out.

If I was Ableton I would actually flood the torrent scene with 60 or 90 day cracks. That way a user becomes invested in the software, in their work - and when a crack dies at crunch time or in the middle of a project, you go crazy and buy it.
Last edited by [art] on Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:00 am

thanks for your in depth insightful review, you should write for the trade journals.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

billyjean

Post by billyjean » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:02 am

depends how you look at it on Live 9, but Push at $548 for suite upgrades is a real rip off. There are obvious benefits of having one integrated set up but when you consider the investment most users would have made on other controllers having a $550 controller dedicated to the session view is a real spin. For first time buyers starting from scratch it may make some sense.......though you get back to conventional mode on arrangement view.

comurit

Post by comurit » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:04 am

@art
Yeah, you're right!!!
thanks
what did you say? 8O
crack version
good advice, thanks again

[art]

Post by [art] » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:10 am

I know it's taboo, right? but it's part of the reality of things, of people actually running businesses. It's not my fault if they're not smart about it. Push is actually one step toward that - linking hardware to software, to alleviate some of the loss associated with piracy.

I would love to see a standalone version of Push that had Ableton and sounds and everything completely inside it. So I can rock out on that and come back to Live when I need to arrange, tweak etc...

I'm guessing that will be Push V2 or 3

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:11 am

If I was Ableton I would actually flood the torrent scene with 60 or 90 day cracks. That way a user becomes invested in the software, in their work - and when a crack dies at crunch time or in the middle of a project, you go crazy and buy it.
Hehe, that's actually kind of brilliant. Logistically I don't know how they'd stop people from just downloading another, but still - good food for thought :D

[art]

Post by [art] » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:35 am

all that said, i actually did buy the box too. i'll be stuffed if i'm downloading all those packs manually. hardcopy manual will be great too

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:38 am

[art] wrote:all that said, i actually did buy the box too. i'll be stuffed if i'm downloading all those packs manually. hardcopy manual will be great too
so you paid the take it in the ass box price?

i can't do it. i'm fresh outta lube.

i could probably do it if the discount wasn't less than the price of the box... but it is. :evil:
in fact i was going to... all excited like. that stopped me dead in my tracks.

so my motto today is fuck em. i'm not buying anything for them to add to their 1st quarter reports.

[art]

Post by [art] » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:58 am

yeah i have a fair bit of lube left over from the 12 - 16 weeks thing

Valiumdupeuple

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:03 am

That's what "they" did back to Live 5. And a LOT of us are here because they've played and create with this cracked version for monthes or years , and got in love/addicted to the program and suddenly screwed up when the genuine copy violation rang (after 2 years for me). You can't lose all this music you've created, so...

diablo0ne

Post by diablo0ne » Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:28 pm

YES. LIVE 9 WAS A RIP OFF. BIG TIME. if you upgrade to live 9 you must:

1. Buy Push

Abelton has had to change its browser to accomodate this controller, so you almost have to have it to make the upgrade 'worth' it. Push is the ONLY reason that anyone WOULD upgrade from Live 8 Suite.

2. Buy a new Computer.

Yup LIVe 9 is a crusher and guess what.. you will have to delete your copy of live 8 suite to make room for 9.

3. Buy a new Computer again, once you download the latest VERSION BUG FIX whatever. After I did it my mac was crippled. So before I get back to music, I will have some fun browsing my computer for ableton files to delete

I believe in being positive but LIVE 9 has interrupted my work flow and made me look a fool in my own studio. LIVe 8 was rockin' and i miss it. Whats funny is i have my 8 copy on another computer,. So im actually switching back to 8 now so I can get some work done.

LIVE 9 = ABLETON ANTFARM = UNSTABLETON = RIP OFF

for the record I loved Ableton 8. Now im stuck with all their controllers and crap.