live 9: speed and stability versus live 8

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ionic

live 9: speed and stability versus live 8

Post by ionic » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:12 am

so we have all heard about the great new features. however, this isn't enough for me to fork over the money for the upgrade just yet. has the speed and processing of Live increased since 8? i was thinking of turning this into the Live 9 Performance Test thread, but i think we should let Tarekith handle that one!

anyways, congrats to all that have it. hoping to hear good news!

[art]

Re: live 9: speed and stability versus live 8

Post by [art] » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:19 am

im interested in this also, particularly if there might be any benefits to using 32bit // 64bit. And if there might use cases where 32 is better than 64

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:28 am

[art] wrote:im interested in this also, particularly if there might be any benefits to using 32bit // 64bit. And if there might use cases where 32 is better than 64
For my, admittedly simple workflow, I've found Live 9 to be comparable to 8 (at least in the beta, haven't had that much time to play with the release yet), even a little bit better, but I have no empirical evidence for that, just my general impressions.
The differences between 32 and 64-bit have been covered quite comprehensively by Ableton in the 'Help' section of their website:
https://www.ableton.com/en/articles/64bit-myths-facts/
:D

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

ionic

Post by ionic » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:49 pm

nothing?

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:52 pm

It may be psychological/confirmation bias at work, but I find 9 slightly faster than 8 in terms of opening sets/devices/VSTs. Haven't done any tests or anything.

Beyond that, I have definitely experienced fewer crashes (and cleaner, quicker recoveries when they do happen) using 9 than with 8, esp. when using Max for Live patches. That could be because I'm using the official Max devices from Ableton though, which I imagine have had more testing and tweaking.

Can't speak for side-by-side performance comparisons, but I haven't run into any more processor limitations with 9 than I did with 8

Dean09

Post by Dean09 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:53 pm

I am getting some intermittent crackling noise that I do not get with 8. I have a pretty new desktop win 7 PC. I have not chanegd the audio settings/buffer size. Curious if others are having that issue

agent314

Post by agent314 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:24 pm

I am getting some intermittent crackling noise that I do not get with 8. I have a pretty new desktop win 7 PC. I have not chanegd the audio settings/buffer size. Curious if others are having that issue
I also started getting this when using my interface's ASIO drivers. Goes away when I change to ASIO4ALL

tom.luft

Post by tom.luft » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:49 pm

Dean09 wrote:I am getting some intermittent crackling noise that I do not get with 8. I have a pretty new desktop win 7 PC. I have not chanegd the audio settings/buffer size. Curious if others are having that issue
Yeah me too. Reminds me of Live's darkest hours. I also get usage percentages > 200% again; heavy crackling and distortion included.
When I open the same project with Live 8 there's not a single glitch and usage < 30%.
Live 11.0.2
Windows 10
i7 6700k, 16GB
Scarlett 18i8

ian_halsall

Post by ian_halsall » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:06 pm

it's slower when mixing down - significantly slower for me - although I am comparing the 64 bit Live 9 with 32 bit Live 8

Not a deal breaker - just a data point

golemus

Post by golemus » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:12 am

ionic wrote:so we have all heard about the great new features. however, this isn't enough for me to fork over the money for the upgrade just yet. has the speed and processing of Live increased since 8? i was thinking of turning this into the Live 9 Performance Test thread, but i think we should let Tarekith handle that one!

anyways, congrats to all that have it. hoping to hear good news!
I am also very interested about this topic.

But I think it is important for people to write when they reply to this topic that:

"which OS are you using (win7-64, osx snow leopard, win8-64, win7-32, winXP, osx lion, etc..etc.."

"are you using 32bit or 64bit ableton live"

"are you using VST plugins"

"if you use 64bit live are you using 32bit plugins with bridging"

As I have understood, live9-win32, live9-win64, live9-osx32 and live9-osx64 are essentially different programs and each of them might be plagued by different bugs or problems.

With these questions we can identify that which circumstances are stabile and which have perhaps some problems. I suggest that op (ionic) add these questions to the first message of the thread.

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:39 am

tom.luft wrote:
Dean09 wrote:I am getting some intermittent crackling noise that I do not get with 8. I have a pretty new desktop win 7 PC. I have not chanegd the audio settings/buffer size. Curious if others are having that issue
Yeah me too. Reminds me of Live's darkest hours. I also get usage percentages > 200% again; heavy crackling and distortion included.
When I open the same project with Live 8 there's not a single glitch and usage < 30%.
using any 3rd party in this project?

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:03 am

my opinion is that L9 is quicker all around than L8..
you can try the 30-day demo and get an impression/comparison yourself..

somehow L9 isn't so exciting to me.. but I see it as a step in the right direction. so I eventually decided to get with the program (update)
I'm glad Ableton decided to rapidly release a new beta.. and hope that they get the major issues fixed quickly
I've been here since V3.. and Live has come a long way since then..

congratulations to the Ableton team for the release..
in the end.. with all the bs out of the way.. you guys rock ..
10x

3dot...

Post by 3dot... » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:05 am

ian_halsall wrote:it's slower when mixing down - significantly slower for me
when processing? rendering?
or when editing?
is it a workflow issue that makes it slower?

tom.luft

Post by tom.luft » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:54 am

3dot... wrote:using any 3rd party in this project?
Yes. But they didn't change. Live did. And since I somewhat naively trusted and ignored the compatibility warning I did overwrite the original project. No more opening in Live 8...
So i narrowed the problem and it seems to be connected with me playing the set without all samples (especially the ones of Komplete) being loaded. This was never an issue in Live 8 - but now I get this:
Well this and random distortion and crackles after loading - even when only playing one clip :roll:
3dot... wrote:somehow L9 isn't so exciting to me..
For me the best new feature (which they didn't promote - maybe they were ashamed they didn't implement it with a free 8 update?) is instant MIDI refresh.
When I forgot to plugin a device or when a usb cable became loose in Live 8 it was a real desaster. Live 9 seems to permanently scan for new devices - they get registered into Live a second after connecting.
Live 11.0.2
Windows 10
i7 6700k, 16GB
Scarlett 18i8

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:08 am

agent314 wrote:It may be psychological/confirmation bias at work, but I find 9 slightly faster than 8 in terms of opening sets/devices/VSTs. Haven't done any tests or anything.
Same here (Macbook 2Ghz C2D/4Gb RAM/Snow Leopard).