All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Do i need to upgrade to max 6
PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:20 am 

I think it does appear confusing yet simple....

Max4Live in Live 9 needs Max 6.1 as the editor....

If you own the full version of Max or upgrade to Live 9 Suite you will have this...

If you only have Live 8 and M4L and aren't upgrading to Suite you'll need to buy the upgrade for M4L to use the devices that come with Live 9.... There may be some that work using Max 5.1.9 but from experience this is unlikely....

I can't see an upgrade for M4L path as i already have Live 8 Suite...

Cheers
D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:28 am 

Ok ! To summarize :

i upgraded to L9 Suite
i'll be able to create my own M4L patches
i'll still use max 5 for doing pure max apps.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:16 pm 

S4racen wrote:

If you only have Live 8 and M4L and aren't upgrading to Suite you'll need to buy the upgrade for M4L to use the devices that come with Live 9

But this conflicts with what Ableton told me, see the email I posted earlier.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:20 pm 

Reply from Daniel at Ableton:

"If you have Live 8 and Max for Live, then upgrade to Live 9, you can use Max 6 with Live 9, no need to buy Suite. "

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:48 pm 

Ok, so that means that there really is no paid M4L upgrade at all, just like there never has been for any of Ableton's other add-ons like Operator that have received enhancements between versions.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:40 am 

I'm going to jump in with another claim entirely, and I'm pretty sure that it's true.

If you have M4L, you do not need to license Max separately in order to use Max as an editor within Live. All you need is to install the Max demo.

The case where you need to license Max separately is when you want to edit Max patches to be used outside Live. In that case, you get a discount if you have M4L.

Live 9 Suite comes with Max for Live. So all you need to do is to install the Max 6.1 demo (which was just released) and you're good to go. The only reason you'd want to pay extra for Max is if you want to use it outside Live.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:42 am 

stringtapper wrote:
Ok, so that means that there really is no paid M4L upgrade at all, just like there never has been for any of Ableton's other add-ons like Operator that have received enhancements between versions.

Yes, I think that's correct.

However, I also think that if you have Live 8 Suite without M4L, and you upgrade to Live 9 Suite, you get M4L as part of the upgrade because Live 9 Suite includes M4L.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:29 am 

broc wrote:
So in other words, there is no upgrade path from Standard Live8+M4L(Max5) to Standard Live9+M4L(Max6) ?

I'll clarify this question tomorrow morning. The FAQ does not give a clear answer yet.

Ralf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:32 am 

I just wanna confirm that everything works as expected. i didn't upgrade to max 6 but i can use max 6 to edit my own M4L patches.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:09 am 

Ralf wrote:
broc wrote:
So in other words, there is no upgrade path from Standard Live8+M4L(Max5) to Standard Live9+M4L(Max6) ?

I'll clarify this question tomorrow morning. The FAQ does not give a clear answer yet.

Ralf

If you own Live 8 Standard and Max for Live, and you upgrade to Live 9 Standard,
then you can use Max for Live with Live 9. Just download and install Max 6.1.

Ralf

PS. Just checked with our support people to be sure. But any other answer would have surprised me.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:13 am 

Ok, I have now triple clarified it and confirmed it. I also got an email yesterday from Ableton:

"Dear Fran,

Thanks for writing back to us.

Since the only version of Max that is compatible with Live 9 is Max 6.1, any Live 8 or Suite 8 user who has a Max for Live license can download the latest version of Max to use with Live 9.

They will also be able to download and install the Max for Live Essentials Pack, as well as the Pluggo for Live Pack, from the Packs page on our website, and use them in Live 9.

We hope this helps clarify things for you. Please feel free to contact us with any further questions or problems.

With kind regards,
"

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:31 pm 

funken wrote:
Since the only version of Max that is compatible with Live 9 is Max 6.1, any Live 8 or Suite 8 user who has a Max for Live license can download the latest version of Max to use with Live 9.

This was always my assumption for the very reason stated. Glad it's finally clarified.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:57 pm 

stringtapper wrote:
funken wrote:

This was always my assumption for the very reason stated. Glad it's finally clarified.

Yeah but loading max 6 stand alone runs in trial mode.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:23 pm 

chapelier fou wrote:
stringtapper wrote:
funken wrote:

Yeah but loading max 6 stand alone runs in trial mode.

What does that have to do with my post? Or funken's post? Neither of our posts are talking about Max standalone.

Or maybe you're conflating Max For Live and Max. Having a M4L license (or a Live 9 Suite license) does not give you a Max license. You will have to upgrade your Max 5 license (you did say earlier that you have one, right?) to a Max 6 license in order to use Max 6 standalone.

If you have been using Max 5 standalone then the upgrade to Max 6 is highly recommended. So many enhancements. Add Gen to your upgrade (an extra cost) and you've got some serious power.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:39 pm 

Thanks Stringsnapper. While we are on the subject, is everyone aware of my forthcoming review/tutorial on how to have Session View, Mixer, Devices and Arrange all at the same time using a $9 Max for Live device? Testing at the mo.