installing live packs into library / Live pack location

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
re:dream

installing live packs into library / Live pack location

Post by re:dream » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:32 pm

Hi there

Background: I keep my Live library in the cloud (through dropbox), syncing it two two machines, a PC and a Mac.

It works fairly well under Live 8. Uploading the whole library into the cloud was a mission.

I am now installing some of the content of Live Standard edition and I notice that the Live packs are sitting in a location assigned to them by Live (user/music/ableton/factory packs) which clearly means they will not be synced with dropbox.

- Is there a way of exporting the live packs into the library?
- if not can I change the file location of the live packs themselves so that they sit in dropbox?

I know very little about live pack management and how Live does it. Some things seem to sit in the live pacs folder, others in the library...

Any advice?

Re: installing live packs into library / Live pack location

Post by re:dream » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:41 pm

aark. Posted to soon. Right click and move pack. Sorry :roll:

UCAudio

Post by UCAudio » Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:36 pm

How well does it work storing your library in the cloud... load times etc? Does that mean any time you want to load a big sample library you'd have to essentially download it first from the cloud?

Post by re:dream » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:07 pm

That's not what I am doing

The library is in dropbox, on my hard drive.

This means that is automatically synced via the cloud to any other computer I have that is linked to the same dropbox account.

I travel a bit, and I like to make music when I am all lonesome in me hotel room. And I got very frustrated with missing samples, mismatched libraries, etc etc.

It took a while to set up, since bandwidth is slow here in Cape Town and it took days to upload 30 gigs of samples to the cloud on one machine and download it again on the other side.

But once that's been done both my computers are perfectly synced.

No need to collect all and save, no need to wonder about versions and incompatible devices. Very awesome.

And it works even though my one machine is a mac and the other is a pc.

Post by re:dream » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:10 pm

And just to confirm - moving the packs worked perfectly. Opened Live 9 on the notebook, moved the packs out of the normal path and onto a similarly named folder in Dropbox; waited for it to sync (just an hour ) opened Live 9 on the PC and changed the file path, and boom, all my new Live 9 content was there. 8)

UCAudio

Post by UCAudio » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:25 pm

Wow that's awesome. Didn't realize it worked that way. I think I'm going to give that a try.