Does Live 9 support multiple VSTi folders yet?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
darkenedsoul

Does Live 9 support multiple VSTi folders yet?

Post by darkenedsoul » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:38 pm

I don't think I saw this asked and didn't participate in the beta. Presonus Studio One supports multiple folders, has Live finally caught up with this feature? It should have by now if it hasn't....that way you can access your 32bit vsti's along with your 64 bit ones with 2 paths only to them. I guess I'll find out when I go to download it this week after things quiet down from all the first snaggers getting it.

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

ezelkow1

Re: Does Live 9 support multiple VSTi folders yet?

Post by ezelkow1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:41 pm

no

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:57 pm

On PC I install VSTs to one directory but I direct Ableton to a different folder that contains shortcuts to the installed locations. I find this the easiest way to organize and manage VSTs.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:03 pm

That may or may not work for some people (links to different locations) but Live should have this capability already or at least introduced in Live 9. Very surprised it didn't get in there and not sure how many, if any, people voiced this feature request. Most people I am guessing take default installation route for installing instruments/plugins. Having the ability to have multiple directories should have been a no-brainer IMHO. S1V2 simple as pie, add a location. What is so hard for Live to not have this feature as well after all this time? I would have been pushing for this had I gone into the beta.....
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.

Donnie

Post by Donnie » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:30 pm

Personally, even if multiple folders were allowed, I still wouldn't use it. I've already stopped using that method in other software that allows it as well. Using shortcuts is just way more versatile...especially if you have a lot of VSTs and want to sort them into logical folders (effects/instruments/etc). Or if you want different hosts to have access to different plugs. You can do all this with shortcuts instead of caring about where your install locations are (which can be a pain considering all VST installs are not created equal).

Not saying you should conform to my workflow but I definitely recommend giving it a try.

login

Post by login » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:37 pm

To start ableton doesnt't have a bridge to use 32 bit vst on 64 bit and viceversa,

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:37 pm

darkenedsoul wrote: I would have been pushing for this had I gone into the beta.....
We had bigger fish to fry.

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:15 pm

Donnie wrote:Personally, even if multiple folders were allowed, I still wouldn't use it. I've already stopped using that method in other software that allows it as well. Using shortcuts is just way more versatile...especially if you have a lot of VSTs and want to sort them into logical folders (effects/instruments/etc). Or if you want different hosts to have access to different plugs. You can do all this with shortcuts instead of caring about where your install locations are (which can be a pain considering all VST installs are not created equal).

Not saying you should conform to my workflow but I definitely recommend giving it a try.
This

Im sure multiple vst folders were brought up in beta but Im not sure how much sense it makes unless ableton wanted to change the layout of their 'plugins' browser section. Since that section takes on the layout of your vst folder then it could just be an unorganizable mess. If you use the shortcuts method then you are free to organize it how you want.

If they allowed multiple folders then they would also have to introduce methods of organization such as those in s1v2 where you can sort by type, manufacturer, etc, or start allowing browser re-organization from within live. All of which would probably have been a major rewrite of their browser code to allow all of that

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:48 pm

Why do you need more than one vst folder in a daw?

Edit just re-read the op.

I'm going to be switching to 64 bit, so i guess i will come across this problem soon, as things stand i have setup a second 64bit folder & assumed i would point live to that? I assumed then any bridged 32 bit plugs would be put into that 64bit vst folder as well.

ark

Post by ark » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:33 pm

On Windows, there's an easy solution to this problem: Install this free application.

What it does is lets you create junction links, which are like shortcuts but completely transparent. So what you do is create a single VST folder that contains nothing but junction links, then put into that folder a link to all of your "real" VST folders, and you're done.

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:11 pm

just wondering, what does that buy you over using shortcuts? I guess besides then you could use one folder for multiple applications without them having to understand shortcuts, is there any other reason?

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:14 pm

yeah, i'm a little confused about that too ark.

a shortcut called a link is still just a path. isn't the same thing achievable by dumping shortcuts to VSTs in the folder that you point Live at?

bosonHavoc

Post by bosonHavoc » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:19 pm

I just install my VST'a all to one folder which is at root level so it is easy to find
then I install sub folders.
i have A 32 bit folder and a 64 bit folder.
then point ableton to the root folder and it is all good.
when i am in ableton 32 bit i use the 32 bit plugs
when i am in ableton 64 bit i use the 64 bit plugs

I have hand no issues and simple

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:51 pm

bosonHavoc wrote:I just install my VST'a all to one folder which is at root level so it is easy to find
then I install sub folders.
i have A 32 bit folder and a 64 bit folder.
then point ableton to the root folder and it is all good.
when i am in ableton 32 bit i use the 32 bit plugs
when i am in ableton 64 bit i use the 64 bit plugs

I have hand no issues and simple
THIS

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:20 pm

Problem with that for probably anyone who's got stuff like Native Instruments installed is it will be trickier or not doable unless links work. Part of the issue on my desktop DAW is some went into certain locations and others in subfolder of that location (32 bit then 64 bit) and Reaktor insisted if I recall on putting it in its own area, so my reason for asking about why it wasn't put in. I don't want to go through the hassle of uninstalling/re-installing 90+Gb of samples to straighten it out, on a rebuild I'll probably go through that pain then....

Mike