dual monitor support damnit!!!!!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
RatKing

Re: dual monitor support damnit!!!!!

Post by RatKing » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:11 am

So no multi monitor support for ableton? too difficult for them add? Ableton Live isnt just about performance anymore. In order to perform you have to create first. Having mixer view in a seperate window would be incredibly clutch. I have 3 asus 27inch monitors that are begging for more LIVE instead they get protools in one screen, abletons session view in one, and and metering/vst's in another. I honestly dont mind it this way since Id rather use protools for the mixdown. Yet not being able to split the session from arrangement is rather silly. Tabbing back and forth is not ideal. I was under the impression ableton 9 would implement this. I upgraded rather prematurely...

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:25 am

But why would you need DMS? I am trying to imagine under what circumstances it would be necessary.

As I experience it, one EITHER works in session view OR in arrange view. Trying to work in both at the same time just creates a mess.

When I worked on Reason & Cubase I would certainly have liked to have two monitors, because the workflow forced me to continually switch between the sequencer and the racks. But I just don't have that need any more

I wonder whether the people who want dual monitor support are people who happen have two monitors, and who are used to working on them in that way....

Muzik 4 Machines

Post by Muzik 4 Machines » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:22 am

your argument would be true except the session view is the only mixer view, if they had a real detachable mixer that would be another story bit they have no mixer after 9 versions, you know a real mixer with inserts slots, sends, etc

cybervertigo

Post by cybervertigo » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:53 pm

A pop out mixer would be nice. It would be easy to add to the UI. It would also be nice to have the Session/Arrangement view on one monitor (full screen always open) and the Clip/Device/FX/Browser view on the other monitor. I always expand/close the views, so the dual monitor would be a great time saver. And the expanded/enlarged views are easier to see. It's also nice to be able to use it as it is now and just stretch the whole thing across two screens.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:10 am

It will happen in live 10, by that time every one will be wearing google glass and no longer care.
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

gnurf

Post by gnurf » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:34 am

Some people use third-party plugins. It's nice to be able to move that configuration panel to the other monitor(s). After a while you start to miss that functionality in the built-in stuff in Live. If I have two desktops visible at the same time, I want to make good use of them :)

Tearaway functionality on any panel would be great.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:00 am

gnurf wrote:Some people use third-party plugins. It's nice to be able to move that configuration panel to the other monitor(s). After a while you start to miss that functionality in the built-in stuff in Live. If I have two desktops visible at the same time, I want to make good use of them :)

Tearaway functionality on any panel would be great.
Wait... Maybe I'm misunderstanding but what stops you from using 3rd party plugs on a separate monitor now?
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

gnurf

Post by gnurf » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:21 am

H20nly wrote: Wait... Maybe I'm misunderstanding but what stops you from using 3rd party plugs on a separate monitor now?
Yes, you are ;)

What I'm saying is that if plugins can be torn away, why the hell can't Ableton's stuff do it too? Everything is embedded in that one window, except preferences.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:35 am

ah! well, again... i think it's by design. i used to use Cubase SX3 and those floating windows became a fuckingawdawful mess... fast... in a live scenario it would be painful.

i've been using a widescreen monitor for several years and my new iMac is 27 inches so i've gotten used to plenty of space. hitting tab isn't that bad, but i agree that AT LEAST a floating mixer would be sweet.

bootykowski

Post by bootykowski » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:25 am

tell me, how did mr aphex twin did all these things in 95 without i7 and he wasn't moaning all the time about "something is wrong with my 88 Mhz Mac"

gnurf

Post by gnurf » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:27 am

He was way too patient, that's how!

bootykowski

Post by bootykowski » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:54 am

If patience is the way to the genius, we should try this way! for that walk, we don´t need DMS ... Just an instrument

gnurf

Post by gnurf » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:05 am

It would be nice if a modern program made good use of features in modern operating systems, though.

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:20 am

Don't know if this has been posted and I don't care.

Floating mixer:
http://www.maxforlive.com/library/devic ... loat-mixer

bootykowski

Post by bootykowski » Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:22 am

yeah, that´s right ... but ableton is a very cool software without. and DMS did not make You a better musician. that´s what a lot of people don´t understand. they think, if I have this cool new feature, my music-skills will be better - but that´s an illusion, they will have the same problems finishing a project, i know, what i´m talking about ... sometimes I think, succesfull musicians don´t need to moan about missing features of a DAW, they have their way to use them. so many people are beefing against ableton, because of missing features like DMS, but they use only 10% of the software... if You ask Yourself, Do I really need DMS for making good music, the answer is NO. Some years ago, no DAW had DMS, but good musicians made great music to. Asking for DMS is just because other DAW have it or because of the modern world and other bullshit, no matter, if it´s really needed! So, i think - close your laptop and stop bashing or make great music with your recources ...