Ideas for custom functionality for Launchpad?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Citizen

Ideas for custom functionality for Launchpad?

Post by Citizen » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:18 am

I'm contemplating getting Launchpad to complement my Maschine which I currently use as a controller for Live. Maschine handles all transport functions, mixing functions, pans, solos, mutes, undo/redo, track selection, switching between session and arrange and functions as velocity sensitive pads for Drum Racks.

Aside from launching clips, what functionality could I program into Launchpad that would be most useful?

Can it be assigned to:

* create new midi and audio tracks
* delete midi and audio tracks
* lengthen/shorten midi clip lengths
* edit midi notation directly 8O
* assign follow actions to specific selected clips

....anything else that would be a really handy additional functionality?

Would really appreciate people's input here! Thank you. :D

infernal.machine

Re: Ideas for custom functionality for Launchpad?

Post by infernal.machine » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:21 am

You need to check this shit out:
http://www.nativekontrol.com/LPC-Live.html

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:24 am

Damn...shits about to get real!

Thanks man!

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:34 am

That's pretty crazy. Just wondering how intuitive that is?

Can someone who has used this template extensively please comment on that? How steep is the learning curve to remember all of those buttons functionality, and in practice, how practical is it too shift between the different modes constantly to do different functions?

The great thing about the MegaMaschine template is that there is only one mode, and no menu searching/switching between pages for different functionality.

How useable is the NativeKontrol in practice? (Looks rad though!)

infernal.machine

Post by infernal.machine » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:43 am

LPC changed my life. Seriously. I started out mostly just using the scale mode... and even that was worth the price to me. To have a fully functional horizontal scale layout, where you can change key, octave, scale type, and pitch bend all with the touch of a button is pretty awesome (and far cheaper than PUSH). Slowly I began adapting the different modes into my workflow... drum racks, step sequencing, device control, browser control... If you learn them one at a time they start to feel really intuitive (And it leaves the regular launchpad setup intact if you want to go back for any reason).

If you only want device control and a step sequencer, check out this free script as well:

http://motscousus.com/stuff/2011-07_Nov ... e_Scripts/

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:52 am

infernal.machine wrote:LPC changed my life. If you learn them one at a time they start to feel really intuitive
Wicked.

I can see my self getting a LOT of usage out of the midi editing modes - just from the video clip on their site I could see the possibilities! 8O Also, jumping between slices of an audio clip on the fly is way cool - obviously the output of that can be recorded into another clip, right?

Also, there are a few randomise and invert midi notation functions 8O I'm a huge fan of incorporating randomisation into my creative process, so that alone would be huge!

How do you find jumping between the different functionality/modes? That's my only reservation - how does it 'flow' in practice? :?:

Thanks guys, this could prove to be a gamechanger!

Zygi

Post by Zygi » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:31 pm

btw, I've seen a custom overlay for LPC somewhere in the web, but... lost it. Does anyone have something like that lying around?

Citizen

Post by Citizen » Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:31 pm

That would be ace - even just to learn the various modes, it would be a big help.