Scales in Live 9

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnny Vulcan

Scales in Live 9

Post by Johnny Vulcan » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:51 pm

Does anyone have a list of all the scales available in Live 9/Push? Just their names would be great - Thank you!

julienb

Re: Scales in Live 9

Post by julienb » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:06 am

Johnny Vulcan wrote:Does anyone have a list of all the scales available in Live 9/Push? Just their names would be great - Thank you!
Sure.
Here is a copy/paste from Remote Scripts of Push I decompiled a couple of days ago.
Original file is here : https://github.com/gluon/AbletonLive9_R ... /consts.py

MUSICAL_MODES =
['Major', [0,2,4,5,7,9,11],
'Minor', [0,2,3,5,7,8,10],
'Dorian', [0,2,3,5,7,9,10],
'Mixolydian', [0,2,4,5,7,9,10],
'Lydian', [0,2,4,6,7,9,11],
'Phrygian', [0,1,3,5,7,8,10],
'Locrian', [0,1,3,4,7,8,10],
'Diminished', [0,1,3,4,6,7,9,10],
'Whole-half', [0,2,3,5,6,8,9,11],
'Whole Tone', [0,2,4,6,8,10],
'Minor Blues', [0,3,5,6,7,10],
'Minor Pentatonic', [0,3,5,7,10],
'Major Pentatonic', [0,2,4,7,9],
'Harmonic Minor', [0,2,3,5,7,8,11],
'Melodic Minor', [0,2,3,5,7,9,11],
'Super Locrian', [0,1,3,4,6,8,10],
'Bhairav', [0,1,4,5,7,8,11],
'Hungarian Minor', [0,2,3,6,7,8,11],
'Minor Gypsy', [0,1,4,5,7,8,10],
'Hirojoshi', [0,2,3,7,8],
'In-Sen', [0,1,5,7,10],
'Iwato', [0,1,5,6,10],
'Kumoi', [0,2,3,7,9],
'Pelog', [0,1,3,4,7,8],
'Spanish', [0,1,3,4,5,6,8,10]]
Julien Bayle
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

art + teaching/consulting
ableton certified trainer
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

ezelkow1

Post by ezelkow1 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:30 am

I was wondering if it would auto-populate your own chord/scale presets, guess not if its hardcoded in the py

StewD

Post by StewD » Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:01 am

ezelkow1 wrote:I was wondering if it would auto-populate your own chord/scale presets, guess not if its hardcoded in the py
I was thinking that editing the py would allow us to add our own scale ... Julien??

julienb

Post by julienb » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:46 am

Sure, as I wrote on my page.
Julien Bayle

julienb

Post by julienb » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:40 am

aiming at making a short video today about that...
Julien Bayle

pablorotter

Post by pablorotter » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:33 pm

live please take away your scale plug ins.

djs are fronting as musicians with no skill no understanding of chord movements.

Tongue in cheek for sure but If you want to make music there are charts of what chord

naturally goes to a selection of other chords. Learn these patterns and work on simple melodies

and basslines. Be a DJ or a composer, you can't half ass either skillset.

TomViolenz

Post by TomViolenz » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:37 pm

pablorotter wrote:live please take away your scale plug ins.

djs are fronting as musicians with no skill no understanding of chord movements.

Tongue in cheek for sure but If you want to make music there are charts of what chord

naturally goes to a selection of other chords. Learn these patterns and work on simple melodies

...sure you can. One just has to be honest enough to call it a hobby :wink:

julienb

Post by julienb » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:45 pm

it isn't a topic about Scale device (it isn't a plugin) but abou the feature included in Ableton Push scripts :)
Julien Bayle

aputy

Post by aputy » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:10 pm

:x I hate comments like this intensely. As if you have some incredible insight into musicality. Meanwhile everyone else is half-ass and only you in your wisdom and unique insight are aware of it. We should all be so thankful that your chart following, pattern sucking genius has arrived to enlighten us all.

If you think that many very talented and successful people do not feel their way then you are as limited as you seem. I'm amazed at your arrogance in telling people what and how to be. I can't fathom what you must think of yourself to believe you are qualified to make such distinctions. Completely pointless comment.

Keep making the music you feel people. However you go about it.

julienb

Post by julienb » Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:19 pm

aputy wrote:

:x I hate comments like this intensely. As if you have some incredible insight into musicality. Meanwhile everyone else is half-ass and only you in your wisdom and unique insight are aware of it. We should all be so thankful that your chart following, pattern sucking genius has arrived to enlighten us all.

If you think that many very talented and successful people do not feel their way then you are as limited as you seem. I'm amazed at your arrogance in telling people what and how to be. I can't fathom what you must think of yourself to believe you are qualified to make such distinctions. Completely pointless comment.

Keep making the music you feel people. However you go about it.
+100
Julien Bayle

ambientidm

Post by ambientidm » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:14 am

the scale plugins are very powerful if you know what you are doing
make a rack in this order pitch + chord+ note length+arp+scale
what every adjustments you make before the scale will still be in key
you can then adjust your midi clip to sequence through modes and many other unique things

julienb

Post by julienb » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:28 am

ambientidm wrote:the scale plugins are very powerful if you know what you are doing
make a rack in this order pitch + chord+ note length+arp+scale
what every adjustments you make before the scale will still be in key
you can then adjust your midi clip to sequence through modes and many other unique things
Totally agree too!
Julien Bayle

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:35 am

I used the Scale plug to make a Harmonic keyboard using several instances of Operator.

I just left one note on per harmonic I planned to use, and set each Operator in the rack accordingly!

and it sounded terrible :P :P :P ....still had to try it! Thank you world for devising equal temperament!