Max for live authorization question

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
3DW

Max for live authorization question

Post by 3DW » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:50 am

I just need a bit reassurance on this one.
I have installed Live 9 and Max with no problems. I clicked on the Max logo shortcut (Max 6.1) It seems to be running on a 30 day trial.

I just wasn't aware that it had to be registered seperately, So is this normal to have to run through this process and activate M4L in this way?

Thanks

Rosko

Re: Max for live authorization question

Post by Rosko » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:02 am

Same here i can't seem to authorize max, it says to do it through live but this doesn't seem to do anything.

3DW

Post by 3DW » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:05 am

Iv'e not ran through the authorization yet so it may work fine but just looking to hear from someone who knows if this is the case.

CFM

Post by CFM » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:19 am

You need to authorise through Live. If you have authorised Live before installing max just re-aithorise live. Then restart Live and all should be fine. To edit press the edit icon with the max device in live and it opens the builder.

3DW

Post by 3DW » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:26 am

@CFM i installed both at the same time then authorized. I have just done this again and then clicked the max shortcut and tells me it expires in 29 days hmmmm

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:35 am

yeah i tried to re-authorize a few times not working for me. Sent ableton an email.

3DW

Post by 3DW » Fri Mar 08, 2013 10:37 am

@Rosko Can you possible paste the reply from Ableton please? No point in sending the same email twice. Appreciate that if you can mate.

3DW

Post by 3DW » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:00 am

Having looked at my list of licenses it appears i have been upgraded to Standard rather than suite. Email also sent off to Ableton now.

CFM

Post by CFM » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:09 am

I'm not sure "standard" has anything to do with it. My account reads Live 9 standard (upgrade).

Have you authorised, closed and restarted Live, plus opening max from Live not via the desktop icons?

3DW

Post by 3DW » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:22 am

CFM wrote:I'm not sure "standard" has anything to do with it. My account reads Live 9 standard (upgrade).

Have you authorised, closed and restarted Live, plus opening max from Live not via the desktop icons?
Just ran through the process again and M4L is listed now.
Device builder opens up fine within Live 9.

I just thought it looked like a trial as i opened the shortcut for a nosey and its counting down from 30 days.

Hana-Bi

Post by Hana-Bi » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:39 am

Well, you have to install Max but you won't get a Max license you get a M4L license. So when you open Max via the shortcut you open Max and not M4L and since you don't have a Max license you'll get the trial notification. Open Max in Live and everything is fine.

3DW

Post by 3DW » Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:59 am

Hana-Bi wrote:Well, you have to install Max but you won't get a Max license you get a M4L license. So when you open Max via the shortcut you open Max and not M4L and since you don't have a Max license you'll get the trial notification. Open Max in Live and everything is fine.
OK thanks a lot for this. Just put my mind at ease that its all set up fine. Thanks for everyone's help here. :D

ark

Post by ark » Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:50 pm

If you have Max for Live but have not paid for Max separately, then after the 30 day period has ended, all you will be able to do with Max is use it from within Live via Max for Live, or run Max patches that other people have developed. If you want to be able to edit your own Max patches independently of Live, then you will need to license Max separately. I believe they offer a discount if you have Max for Live.

Unless you want to use Max without Live, there is no reason to pay for Max separately.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:04 pm

ok thanks for the clarification. Have to say the max patches are brilliant I've not even got round to trying the new features of live 9 yet.

Regrind

Post by Regrind » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:41 am

I just got a crash dialog box followed by an authorize Max dialog box.
Right as I was about to save the dub delay patch I was working on from the Cycling 74 YouTube tuts.
I'm not going to resort to colorful language. But I did turn green there for a moment.
I just tried all of what you fine folks suggested and hope it's a remedy. I think it's odd that when I start to edit a patch that Max standalone opens. I understand why and perhaps it wasn't setup to Live properly when I switched platforms.
I'm proud of myself for not using colorful language. Thought I wanted to.
https://soundcloud.com/mistergupton
I make beats on an old Huggies box.