Live 8 to Live 9 License Migration Help

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Pasha

Live 8 to Live 9 License Migration Help

Post by Pasha » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:47 am

I am still deciding on getting Live 9 or Live 9 Suite.
I come from Live 8 Suite Download.
I have all Live instruments, Session Drums (Studio and Mic) and EIC 2 plus Latin Percussions
and some other packs I got from Ableton.
I have experimented with the trial version of Live 9 so far and I can confirm that by retaining L8 library all my L8 Projects load as expected. I am not happy about the lack of a Merge Library procedure but the proposed solution is fair enough, despite the disk space tax it implies. That will assure all old projects would work.
Having said so, I do not need M4L or Orchestral Collection and I am tempted to spare some Euros and getting Live 9 Standard. However I am not sure that all of my stuff I bought in 7 and 8 will still be licensed. I am afraid that if I do not get Live Suite 9 I loose the rights to Live 8 Suite content (Instruments, Drums, EIC). What do you think? I am confused by the license policy of Ableton this time because it is the first time I might downgrade from suite to standard.

Best
Pasha
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

zabbone

Re: Live 8 to Live 9 License Migration Help

Post by zabbone » Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:55 am

i'm in your same condition.... i mailed ableton 4 day ago for information but not reply yet....

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:59 am

OK.

I come from Suite 8 boxed, upgraded from a Lite 8 Akai Edition bundled with my APC40.

As far as I use my trial before purchasing, Session Drums (the Suite 8 one) is in fact melted with Suite 9 contents, and part of the Suite 8 Library, which is not only conserved after migration, but integrated in Suite 9's browser with its dedicated line.

The same for EIC2 sounds, which may become useless if you upgrade to Suite 9 because this upgrade will give you what was before called "OIC", including ALL orchestral prests divided in four packs : mallets, woodwinds, strings and brass. Since EIC2 is only a bundle of samples from both Session Drums and OIC, and doesn't include any "EIC2 only" sound, an upgrade to Suite 9 makes EIC2 obsolete and/or HDD space occupied with useless doublons.

I think having verified long ago that in the case of a Suite 8 to "Standard" Live 9 upgrade, you keep EVERYTHING you had in the previous version, you get the present Suite 8 features (synths, packs, EIC2 and Session Drums plus all your already bought add-on packs). I'm pretty sure it was a fact.

Anyway, as I'm writing this, Live 9 Suite Trial contains everything from my totally complete Suite 8 Library. So the bought version will do the same. For Standard 9, the word was "nothing lost coming from Suite 8".

Personnaly, I won't hesitate : 129 for standard, 169 for Suite, look at Max For Live in 64-bit with Max 6.1 instead of the old 5.1.9 32-bit I used with Suite 8, and those additional packs OMG, what a teasure !

Warm Regards.
Last edited by Blendton on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Ableton Live 9 Suite (64-bit) & Ableton Suite 8 + Max for Live (32-bit)
Toshiba Qosmio F750 + lenticular glasses-free 3D
i7 2670QM 2,20GHz - 2x4GB DDR3-1333 - 5400rpm HDD

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:09 pm

Oh I forgot to be sketchy about your question :

YES, you keep what you have when you upgrade to Standard. Including Session Drums and EIC2.

What I cant tell you for sure is that Session Drums will be kept updated : Suite 9 comes with it in the form of three packs, subtle differences in their contents, updated vesion number.

As I wrote the previous post I forgot your question "Suite 8 contents after upgrading to Live 9 NOT Suite" has already been given to me personnaly by Ableton staff during a long (and interesting like always) phone call.

Enjoy, make music, here if you need. ;)
Last edited by Blendton on Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:03 pm

Twanoo wrote:Oh I forgot to be sketchy about your question :

YES, you keep what you have when you upgrade to Standard. Including Session Drums and EIC2.

What I cant tell you for sure is that Session Drums will be kept updated : Suite 9 comes with it in the form of three packs, subtle differences in their contents, updated vesion number.

As I wrote the previous post I forgot your question "Suite 8 contents after upgrading to Live 9 NOT Suite" has already been given to me personnaly by Ableton staff during a long (and interesting like always) phone call.

Enjoy, make music, here if you need. ;)

Blendton
Although I could have got standard there is a lot more content available and along time the Live 8 Library will be discharged while L9 will grow. What's important is the nothing is lost between the two!
I have pushed the Suite Button and now I am an owner of L9 Suite (downloading... puff,puff..)
Thanks so much. Your post helped me to understand and take a decision. I do not see a major usage of M4L on my side but I can have access to Max Patches now.. and maybe in the future I could interface my MIDI Guitar with Live in a better way.

Cheers!
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Blendton

Post by Blendton » Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:23 pm

It's always nice to help or just trying to, I may be a sort of "less is more" thinking guy but for the price difference, even if M4L is the last thing you care about (you will enjoy it anyway, soon or late, one day, just trying a preset or two with some controller stuff and BAM, you instantly care about this f***ing tool whick makes your brain BSOD as behind presets are the future of music making : Pure Data coding and patches making...).

My purchase is for today I'm cleaning a bit before doing, and make things wait a little more, and yeah, downloads lol... I'm both being bored and excited with the fact that in a few moments I'll be forced to fill my HDD with .alp then put them to Suite 9 to erase installation packs and download the next ones, OMG why didn't never find money to buy a USB 3.0 HDD with more than my only internal 750GB :'( !!!

Enjoy dude ;) ! Give news if any ok ?
Antoine, aka Blendton.

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:13 pm

Twanoo wrote:It's always nice to help or just trying to, I may be a sort of "less is more" thinking guy but for the price difference, even if M4L is the last thing you care about (you will enjoy it anyway, soon or late, one day, just trying a preset or two with some controller stuff and BAM, you instantly care about this f***ing tool whick makes your brain BSOD as behind presets are the future of music making : Pure Data coding and patches making...).

My purchase is for today I'm cleaning a bit before doing, and make things wait a little more, and yeah, downloads lol... I'm both being bored and excited with the fact that in a few moments I'll be forced to fill my HDD with .alp then put them to Suite 9 to erase installation packs and download the next ones, OMG why didn't never find money to buy a USB 3.0 HDD with more than my only internal 750GB :'( !!!

Enjoy dude ;) ! Give news if any ok ?
I will, thank you! For now I am downloading a lot...
Mac Studio M1