High-resolution support!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
username652719

High-resolution support!

Post by username652719 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:34 am

Just wondering why Max 6.1 looks beautiful on my new laptop, but Ableton won't scale and looks pretty hairy.

It's already vector-based, so it shouldn't be too difficult.

pencilrocket

Re: High-resolution support!

Post by pencilrocket » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:20 am

it's so difficult that few software support.

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:45 am

why does it matter?

username652719

Post by username652719 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:32 pm

As someone with a degree in computer science, I can assure you it's not so difficult.

And as for why? Because it is appropriate. Ableton is a brand, and they have a graphics and advertising department focused on being relevant and current. When they are partnered with cycling '74 and fall behind the eightball with Max having just been fully updated to take advantage of high resolution, it makes Ableton seem lazy.

Jrel

Post by Jrel » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:02 pm

What do you mean by scale exactly? I can adjust the Zoom Display in Live by going to Preferences > Look Feel > Zoom Display. It's an awesome feature.

username652719

Post by username652719 » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:13 pm

Jrel wrote:What do you mean by scale exactly? I can adjust the Zoom Display in Live by going to Preferences > Look Feel > Zoom Display. It's an awesome feature.
Scale's a bad word on my part, I mean pixel density. They simply need to account for a doubling of pixel density so that on higher resolution displays, instead of doubling each pixel, it can display it natively.

Here is an example. Note that this is of course a screenshot of my laptop, but I assure you it looks a lot worse in person than it does in the screen shot.

http://i.imgur.com/BQme73R.jpg

If you zoom in, just look at the parameters and text on the max for live ableton compared to the open max window on the right. You can see how there are almost "phantom" pixels -with reduced brightness - on the left that make the text hard to read.

And remember, this is simply opening the max for live patch in max, you would think there could be uniformity.

miekwave

Post by miekwave » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:27 am

username652719 wrote:
Jrel wrote:What do you mean by scale exactly? I can adjust the Zoom Display in Live by going to Preferences > Look Feel > Zoom Display. It's an awesome feature.
Scale's a bad word on my part, I mean pixel density. They simply need to account for a doubling of pixel density so that on higher resolution displays, instead of doubling each pixel, it can display it natively.

Here is an example. Note that this is of course a screenshot of my laptop, but I assure you it looks a lot worse in person than it does in the screen shot.

If you zoom in, just look at the parameters and text on the max for live ableton compared to the open max window on the right. You can see how there are almost "phantom" pixels -with reduced brightness - on the left that make the text hard to read.

And remember, this is simply opening the max for live patch in max, you would think there could be uniformity.
Ah, retina displays. The pixel aliasing is too apparent. You might as well use natural zoom and get a magnifying glass.

username652719

Post by username652719 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:59 pm

miekwave wrote:
username652719 wrote:

Ah, retina displays. The pixel aliasing is too apparent. You might as well use natural zoom and get a magnifying glass.
I wish this worked! But in fact it makes it even worse. It's because the resolution is doubling each pixel, meaning that if you increase the zoom and make the image smaller, you are creating less pixels to work with, which are then doubled, and it looks even more aliased!

I wish Apple didn't go putting a name on their high resolution screen, because now it is seen as a "thing by apple" and perhaps too specific to address, when in fact everyone is already moving towards high-resolution displays. Look at the new Chromebook Pixel or the new Acer laptop, or the Samsung series 9 laptop IPS displays with 2880 x 1620 resolution.

What we need is for Ableton to address pixel density which is the future of laptop displays, and since nearly everyone is already working on it, it would be nice to see them address the issue rather than falling behind.

I mean, really, even Cycling has a fix for it, that's what blows my mind.

ino-01

Post by ino-01 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:23 pm

With high resolution it is much better to work.
Cycling74 has got it. :D

:idea: Ableton, please follow! :idea:

JBlongz

Post by JBlongz » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:57 pm

+1 I'm also using rMBP. Looks grainy when using the display away from home. Thankfully, I can run on two external monitors with rMBP in clamshell mode when stationed my studio.
rMBP Quad 2.8GHz, 16GB, 1TB SSD | UAD Apollo 8
JBlongz YouTube