Quick reality check for somebody just getting started...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
turnstylenyc

Quick reality check for somebody just getting started...

Post by turnstylenyc » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:17 pm

Hi all, I'm hoping to use Live as a sort of creative self-accompaniment/compositional tool. I've never used a DAW, so I'm in the "a bit overwhelmed" phase. I much appreciate any help/suggestions.

Basically I'm hoping to make loops with a keyboard and/or guitar, layer up the sound, and alternate between different sections of a song-like structure. I briefly noodled with 8, but then decided to wait for 9 -- which I have installed.

If I want to start with a simple drum beat (to replace the metronome) is this correct:

1) In the Browser, click Drums, and then drag one of the "Kit-Core {name}.adg" options over into the Session View. I see a total of 8 of these Kit-Core options, is that right? I ask because when I was briefly playing with 8, there were many more to choose from. Is this because the "9 core" now installs many fewer drums, and they now have to be downloaded and installed separately as Packs?

2) Double click within the new Drum column in Session and use the Pencil to mark what drum sound to get and when.

One question: it seems to me the "Kit-Core SessionDry.adg" is quite a lot quieter than the others -- is there a reason for that? Apart from the Kit-Core SessionDry seeming particularly quiet, all these Kit-Core drums seem quiet (the meter spikes to about 1/3 the way up). Is that how it's supposed to work?

And more broadly, if my goal is to use Live as a sort of creative self-accompaniment/compositional tool, is it "sensible" to start in this way by first creating a simple drum loop? I'm assuming I'll use the drum loop to keep time when I record the keyboard/guitar. (Partly because I find the metronome a bit distracting and uninspiring.)

Thanks!!!

BoddAH

Re: Quick reality check for somebody just getting started...

Post by BoddAH » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:33 pm

1) Yes, Live 9 core installation comes with basically nothing, you have to download your packs from the Ableton website (depending on the version of Live 9 you own Intro/Standard/Suite, you'll have more or less of those you can download).

2) Not to sound rude but you should really check out the ton of tutorials available for this kind of question. A great video will explain it MUCH better than a short answer in a forum thread. Start with the tutorials included within Live (Help Menu) and here:

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLE1D3B22F79C3A67E

But there's much more if you dig a little.

Oh and the dry kit is probably quieter because it is "dry", ie. no effects like compression which usually make things sound louder.
Last edited by BoddAH on Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Sun Mar 10, 2013 2:34 pm

1 - I got loads of stuff under Drums and yes a lot of it comes from additional Packs

2 - When I bang away at the drums in the kit you mention by using my MIDI controller, i can get the snare up to -6db - you don't want it louder than that. Maybe when you've drawn the beats in with the mouse you need to increase the velocity of the hits (the vertical line under each MIDI note you've drawn it)

Sure, what you're doing works. As do tons of other options. Have a play and see what you like

turnstylenyc

Post by turnstylenyc » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:25 pm

BoddAH wrote: 2) Not to sound rude but you should really check out the ton of tutorials available for this kind of question. A great video will explain it MUCH better than a short answer in a forum thread. Start with the tutorials included within Live (Help Menu) and here:

No offence taken! And I much appreciate the tips. I've actually watched that video (and, in fact, a number of others). The trouble, for example, is that video directs you to use Loopmasters, which isn't there. Most of the videos I've seem more intended for people much farther along, or reference things that aren't actually in my installation. I was also a bit thrown off because 8 came with lots of stuff, but not 9.

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:44 pm

turnstylenyc wrote:
BoddAH wrote: 2) Not to sound rude but you should really check out the ton of tutorials available for this kind of question. A great video will explain it MUCH better than a short answer in a forum thread. Start with the tutorials included within Live (Help Menu) and here:

No offence taken! And I much appreciate the tips. I've actually watched that video (and, in fact, a number of others). The trouble, for example, is that video directs you to use Loopmasters, which isn't there. Most of the videos I've seem more intended for people much farther along, or reference things that aren't actually in my installation. I was also a bit thrown off because 8 came with lots of stuff, but not 9.

if you go under your packs in the store do you have stuff available to download? I just installed the basic package from the web but I also have the suite on disk and have since installed all of those packs which turned into 54 GB of data, for obvious reasons I have a ton of packs at my disposal.

there's all kinds of extra packs out there that cost cash also.

turnstylenyc

Post by turnstylenyc » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:59 pm

I do have Packs in "My Packs" -- but, for example, previously I had been using something called "Kit-BritishVintageLight(Funky)" -- and it seems I don't have that anymore -- and it's not really clear to me how to restore it. See what I mean?

And I don't remember "Kit-BritishVintageLight(Funky)" seeming quiet when I used it, but perhaps I'm not remembering that correctly -- but the kits in Live 9 did strike me as relatively quiet.

turnstylenyc

Post by turnstylenyc » Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:35 pm

funken wrote:Vintage Light Funky is in the Live 8 Library.
So if I uninstalled 8 before installing I, I can't have it anymore -- even if I download and install the standalone Packs that come with 9?

Guillermo Barrancos

Post by Guillermo Barrancos » Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:20 pm

They just have to post New Live 9 tutorials. Lot of People will now start out on Live 9 Intro.

Especially With the Complete revamp of the browser.