Live 5 CPU Issues tip

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dannyk

Live 5 CPU Issues tip

Post by dannyk » Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:40 am

Ok, it seems a few people on here have been experiencing CPU issues with live 5. So did I. My PC is fairly underpowered and i was having trouble, even with mainly audio and a couple of frozen VSTis.

So, a few people have posted this but i felt it was worth its own topic as it's so useful to me - Turning Plugin Delay Compensation off saves CPU.

Yesterday, before i turned it off, i couldnt complete a track i was working on without resorting to bouncing tracks together, even though all my MIDI tracks were frozen. Turning it off meant i saved enough CPU to add another couple of loops and finish the track off.

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:23 pm

what does that function actually do?

subterFUSE

Post by subterFUSE » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:05 pm

It automatically compensates for VST latency.

For example:

I have been using PSP Vintage Warmer on my Master Track... for some light cmpression.

This VST has about 11.6 ms latency when running.

What this did in Live 4 was.. it delayed the output of the Master Track by 11.6 ms due to processing the VST. But the individual tracks that feed the master were not delayed, through the Cue. So if I was listening to a track in the Cue headphones.... it sounded off compared to the master... due to latency in the master.

To fix this, I had to use an AUX send, and then add a Simple Delay to the Return. Then I would route the Return to the headphones, and Cue by turning the Send knob for a channel rather than using the Cue button.

In Live 5, the software does this compensation for you.... if you want... so I no longer have to run the Aux Send/Return with delay.

dannyk

Post by dannyk » Mon Jul 25, 2005 2:39 pm

EDIT: Of course I have to qualify my original post by saying it is a trade off between the usefulness of the PDC feature and the saved CPU. It all depends on your set and which VSTs you're using.

mosca

Post by mosca » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:49 pm

am i correct in thinking that this PDC is just for 3rd party vst's and not abeltons proprietory effects?

cos i dont use that many 3rd party anymore

mo

dom

Post by dom » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:53 pm

nope, PDC is also for our own plugins...

cheers,
dom
ableton hq gardening center

mosca

Post by mosca » Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:54 pm

Cheers