Sometimes after adding a folder Live 9 shows it as empty

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
solar28

Sometimes after adding a folder Live 9 shows it as empty

Post by solar28 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:24 am

Out of about 7 folders I added to places (containing loops/samples organized by genre), 3 out of the 7 show up as empty. No subfolders or files can be seen when clicking on the folder.

This is AFTER I've given it time to scan the folder and stop. Restarting the app makes no difference. Deleting and re-adding the folder doesn't help -- it won't "rescan" the directory.

Anybody else seen this?

FunkJustice

Re: Sometimes after adding a folder Live 9 shows it as empty

Post by FunkJustice » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:14 pm

I am having the same issue

ark

Post by ark » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:17 pm

There appears to be some kind of lurking bug in the indexer. I'm hoping they find it before too long.

jlgrimes

Post by jlgrimes » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:20 pm

solar28 wrote:Out of about 7 folders I added to places (containing loops/samples organized by genre), 3 out of the 7 show up as empty. No subfolders or files can be seen when clicking on the folder.

This is AFTER I've given it time to scan the folder and stop. Restarting the app makes no difference. Deleting and re-adding the folder doesn't help -- it won't "rescan" the directory.

Anybody else seen this?
I have this as well. Once I retry it several times it will start scanning it.

marcoskohler

Post by marcoskohler » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:20 pm

If you add a folder with a lot of samples, I think live waits until it's indexed and in its database before actually displaying it...gotta wait a bit.

johnnyvn

Post by johnnyvn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:37 pm

Having the same problem. I honestly don't think that waiting for the indexing is the answer for two reasons.

1) With some of the folders, I noticed that some of their sub-folders started appearing once they had been indexing...in other words, certain items appear as soon as they've been indexed without waiting for other items in the same folder to be indexed.

2) I've waited hours and hours and still nothing.

I think there is a little bug, and I also hope they find it and fix it...

FunkJustice

Post by FunkJustice » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:21 pm

I think I may have stumbled upon a fix. This worked for me.

I was adding my itunes folder for access to my mp3s. The folder would come up as empty.

When I used my explorer (in my case on Windows 7) to locate the same folder, I clicked on a subfolder in the itunes folder and dragged it into the empty second pane in Live's browser (the one on the right). All of a sudden Live's index scan kicked in, and a few minutes later, my whole itunes folder contents were indexed and available.

I did this in some other folders and it actually created a second "copy" folder of the subfolder I dragged in. No problem, just deleted the copy in exporer and now the folder is properly indexed.

Hope this fix works for you all too!

TYLRbass

Post by TYLRbass » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:31 pm

FunkJustice wrote:I think I may have stumbled upon a fix. This worked for me.

I was adding my itunes folder for access to my mp3s. The folder would come up as empty.

When I used my explorer (in my case on Windows 7) to locate the same folder, I clicked on a subfolder in the itunes folder and dragged it into the empty second pane in Live's browser (the one on the right). All of a sudden Live's index scan kicked in, and a few minutes later, my whole itunes folder contents were indexed and available.

I did this in some other folders and it actually created a second "copy" folder of the subfolder I dragged in. No problem, just deleted the copy in exporer and now the folder is properly indexed.

Hope this fix works for you all too!
Might be useful as a quick fix but I think it's ridiculous that we have to trick this thing into working right..