Access Virus and Ableton Live 9?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
schullermusik

Re: Access Virus and Ableton Live 9?

Post by schullermusik » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:24 am

Only slightly OT:

I'm considering a Virus TI2 Desktop for my project studio here. Worth the $2200 USD? Anything else I should be considering?

Background on me: I've been programming synths for around 30 years and I'm looking for a synth that will "do it all", from basic 2 oscillator faux analog to complex, modulated patches. Ideally, I'd like to patch in USB rather than cables. I tried a Novation Ultranova, but the driver support is crap.

Is the Virus the best choice for me? Thanks for your opinions.

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:44 am

I've owned every Virus, from Virus A back in the late 90s to a TI Polar and now a TI Snow. Personally, I think the Virus is still the best sounding synth there is. Easy to program and very flexible sound wise.

On my system the TI Snow seems to work well in Live 9.

Ken

schullermusik

Post by schullermusik » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:49 am

It's dueling Kens! (I'm one as well - we need banjos or something. ;) )

It's an expensive beast, but I'd rather own one synth where I know the quality is there rather than one of the imitators. Any issues getting USB audio to play nicely? The Ultranova was a huge disappointment in that respect.

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:56 am

Hey Ken,

It works well for me. Make sure you're not connecting it through a hub though, instead directly to the USB "hub" on your computer.

Ken

schullermusik

Post by schullermusik » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:24 am

I'm almost tempted to spend the extra bucks for the keyboard version and use it as my controller keyboard.

kenporter

Post by kenporter » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:39 am

schullermusik wrote:I'm almost tempted to spend the extra bucks for the keyboard version and use it as my controller keyboard.
I used to own a TI Polar and loved it. The only reason I sold it was because I was on the road a lot and wanted a more portable setup. The TI Snow is prefect for me because it only weighs 3lbs and can be used as an audio interface too if I wanted to. Anyway, if you're not on the move a lot, I'd say the Polar is totally worth it. I loved the feel of the keys and all the knobs. Having this "conversation" really makes me miss it quite a bit!

Ken

schullermusik

Post by schullermusik » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:48 am

I have a disturbing ability to make people want to spend money... My thought was exactly that - if I do gig, I'd rather have a "traditional" synth than rack/desktop module plus controller. I could always get the rack ears and shove it into my Korg RADIAS keyboard assembly, but then I lose aftertouch, as the Korg has it in the module, but not the keyboard they sold with it. Time to check under the couch cushions for loose change...

vido

Post by vido » Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:18 am

schullermusik wrote:Only slightly OT:

I'm considering a Virus TI2 Desktop for my project studio here. Worth the $2200 USD? Anything else I should be considering?

Background on me: I've been programming synths for around 30 years and I'm looking for a synth that will "do it all", from basic 2 oscillator faux analog to complex, modulated patches. Ideally, I'd like to patch in USB rather than cables. I tried a Novation Ultranova, but the driver support is crap.

Is the Virus the best choice for me? Thanks for your opinions.
Well I haven't put in enough time to get it working properly as a traditional midi-controller in live (getting the knobs working in midi-map-mode). I went for the keyboard-version to have that as a midi-controller and I think the keybed is pretty good.

But so far no-one has answered my original question on how to get the virus to work in midi-map-mode in live, so until we know the question to that I'd definitely wait with the virus! If that turns out to be just a little tweak then I'd say go fot the virus TI2 keyboard, not polar unless you need to transport it often: 61 keys is just easier than 37...

Anyone know how to get midi-mapping to work with the virus?
Collab with Jeremy Blake of Red Means Recording:

Blake and Axe; "All The Light I Do Not See"
Spotify: https://goo.gl/MR8Wjr
Tidal: https://goo.gl/s35W33
Google Play: https://goo.gl/HQ1g7E
Amazon: https://goo.gl/cx5dUL

Not the usual stuff.

Ascot

Post by Ascot » Fri Mar 15, 2013 8:25 am

Can answer this question please im not able to map my virus properly either. Thanks

AbsoluteFahrenheit

Post by AbsoluteFahrenheit » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:56 pm

Ascot wrote:Can answer this question please im not able to map my virus properly either. Thanks
I have an access virus b and just got Ableton Live 9 over the weekend. I have not done any midi mapping of the device to control other instruments or plugins within Live, but can record all MIDI automation and such into Ableton if that is what you are looking for. The corresponding CC midi data appears in the track, but not in the normal automation bar that you would see in the arrangement view. It will appear within the clip itself, and you can manually edit the CC midi data if you want later.

Hope this helps!

tonfilm

Post by tonfilm » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:11 pm

RTFM! it's all written there...

vido

Post by vido » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:17 pm

tonfilm wrote:RTFM! it's all written there...
Since you have obviously read the manual and got it working: why not just give us the info og how to use it with midi-mapping in live?
I have tried and cant get it to work... And I have set up plenty of midi-keyboards before.
Collab with Jeremy Blake of Red Means Recording:

Blake and Axe; "All The Light I Do Not See"
Spotify: https://goo.gl/MR8Wjr
Tidal: https://goo.gl/s35W33
Google Play: https://goo.gl/HQ1g7E
Amazon: https://goo.gl/cx5dUL

Not the usual stuff.

tonfilm

Post by tonfilm » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:41 pm

ok, here you go:

first of all enter the remote mode of the virus ti:

- press Shift+Config on the virus ti hardware.

second in live:

- enable the 'Remote' button of 'Virus TI Synth' in lives midi menu

start mapping... nothing else needed.

and the awesome thing is, that you can have 32 different midi configurations of the controllers of the virus ti. you can switch them with 'Value +/-' on the hardware. the configuration of the midi templates is done in the plugin under 'Patch/Utility -> Remote', there you have the 32 templates in a browser like list box. if you click on one entry, you can edit the midi message for each knob of the virus ti for this template, even SysEx messages are possible.

rocks?

jbone1313

Post by jbone1313 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:06 pm

tonfilm wrote:there is a very old problem with live and the virus TI. the midi notes can get out of time, and not just some ticks, but to an amount thats not usable anymore. then you have to stop playback and start again. this is an old issue and access has the statement, that the midi notes from live are the problem.

has anyone experienced this so far? i have no time to test it until next week...
Is this still an issue - syncing the Virus TI with Ableton Live? Or, is it possible to sync perfectly now - especially WITHOUT pre-rolls? I.e., using a pre-roll in session mode would not be fun.

Any thoughts are most appreciated.

jrob6716

Post by jrob6716 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:20 pm

Yes they work fine most of the time.. The prob you will experience with the Virus will be not because of Live however the TI software ( Totally integrated ) setting up the TI can be a bit of a chore at first but once you get a template going for all the 16 channels of routing you'll be doing well/

Depending on the USB port and how many other devices are connecting to the same bus the TI can very temperamental as far as sync and reliability is concerned. It is one hell of a synth though and sounds awesome!!!
jROB