Maintaining seperate Live 8 and Live 9 libraries

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Punky921

Maintaining seperate Live 8 and Live 9 libraries

Post by Punky921 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:44 pm

Hey guys,

So is this possible? Can I have Live 8 and 9 installed at the same time, pointing at different libraries? Can I install Live 9 without it overwriting my Live 8 library? Note: I don't want to *import* my Live 8 library into my Live 9 library - I want to keep it completely separate.

Let me know.

Thanks!

pablorotter

Re: Maintaining seperate Live 8 and Live 9 libraries

Post by pablorotter » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:49 pm

Yes. Rename the live 8 library to something like library 8. Tell live 8 where it is.

Install live 9. Tell it where the live 8 library is.

Now you have all the options you could need. When you export a live 8 project for import into 9 you don't need to include the factory files as 9 will find them because you've told it where the library is, however make sure to click the external samples and such.

Its too bad the first thing they don't say is "RENAME YOUR LIVE 8 LIBRARY" because if you don't it makes it very difficult to cleanly run both.

With an upgrade this big and projects in progress, its very important in my studio to have both versions running. Of course new projects will be started in 9 and we will convert as much as possible, but for already completed projects I can still work on them with 8 if I need to remix.

I'm sorry so many have viewed your post and not replied....these answers are easily available on Live's new help site, which iS full of new users and not helpful at all.

This is the place for complex and real questions. But if its something that is easily found in the manual people here are pretty unhelpful, which I think is quite rude to new users. But the old heads on this site are sick of answering simple questions so try to do as much research before you post here.

Good luck!

-PAugustus, musician, composer, producer in progress

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:01 am

Thanks for the info. I run live 8 and 9 on my work computer as well and noticed that there is a Live 8 tab in the library. Maybe renaming isn't necessary?

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:18 am

It does. Thank you.

Also, word to the wise - don't open Live 8 and Live 9 up simultaneously. It's like crossing the streams. Live 8 will freak out and not know where it's library is, and will need to rescan, and then probably crash if you tell it to stop. But it'll work fine when you boot it up again.

(Ableton) Live and learn. :)

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:28 am

ShelLuser wrote:
Punky921 wrote:Also, word to the wise - don't open Live 8 and Live 9 up simultaneously. It's like crossing the streams. Live 8 will freak out and not know where it's library is, and will need to rescan, and then probably crash if you tell it to stop.
Actually that will only happen the first time. And although I can't say if I was simply lucky I did tell 8 to stop scanning and never had an issue.

But once that's over Live 8 won't freak out anymore it seems, and you can easily keep both open together at once.

I even cleaned out my Live 8 library this way; looking into Live 9 which packs I already had installed, after which I uninstalled them in Live 8.
but old sets using samples from the live8 library might have broken sample-
references then.

Punky921

Post by Punky921 » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:02 pm

pepezabala wrote:
ShelLuser wrote:
Punky921 wrote:Also, word to the wise - don't open Live 8 and Live 9 up simultaneously. It's like crossing the streams. Live 8 will freak out and not know where it's library is, and will need to rescan, and then probably crash if you tell it to stop.
Actually that will only happen the first time. And although I can't say if I was simply lucky I did tell 8 to stop scanning and never had an issue.

But once that's over Live 8 won't freak out anymore it seems, and you can easily keep both open together at once.

I even cleaned out my Live 8 library this way; looking into Live 9 which packs I already had installed, after which I uninstalled them in Live 8.
but old sets using samples from the live8 library might have broken sample-
references then.
Yeah, that's why I didn't mess with them.

darkenedsoul

Post by darkenedsoul » Tue Jul 23, 2013 1:44 pm

Hi,

I just brought up Live 8.3.4 32 bit to load a set to check out and it is now scanning my library (and seeming to take a long time to do so). What could cause Live 8 to have to rescan? Since I loaded Live 9 I have Library and User Library folders in \users\mike\My Documents\Ableton folder path. It seems when I loaded 9 on it is using that library. I didn't change any paths once it was installed....this seems to not be true that its library goes where the program is as I don't see any *Library* directory down the ProgramData\Ableton\9.x pathing....or am I missing something?

Mike
http://www.darkenedsoul.net - main website
Ableton Live 8.x/9.x : NI Komplete 8 : Home built 4690K 16GB 500GB SSD, 1TB 7200, 2x2TB.