SNAP TO GRID AUTOMATION!!!

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
esp81

SNAP TO GRID AUTOMATION!!!

Post by esp81 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 6:15 pm

sometime this century would be nice...

jasper

Re: SNAP TO GRID AUTOMATION!!!

Post by jasper » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:07 pm

esp81 wrote:sometime this century would be nice...
In that case, I guess you have 87 years to
use the Pen Tool, and hold down ALT while drawing envelopes. This will snap to the current grid. ;)

esp81

Post by esp81 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:40 pm

jasper wrote:
esp81 wrote:sometime this century would be nice...

use the Pen Tool, and hold down ALT while drawing envelopes. This will snap to the current grid. ;)

Actually no, it won't. And please don't respond with silly workarounds with the pen tool..I already know about them. Ableton should have gotten this right from the beginning. I really wonder if the majority of users on this forum have ever used another pro DAW...if so they'd realize how bad the automation currently is in Ableton.

jasper

Post by jasper » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:40 pm

Ok please listen..

Actually, you don't even have to hold any modifiers.
Whatever your Grid is set to, the pen tool will put two nodes wherever you click.
Then ctrl+b again to deactivate the pen tool, and there's your quantized nodes.
To ignore the grid, hold ALT while drawing.

Unless you mean you want to quantize envelopes that are already there.

Please Please read this: (and I definitely don't mean this obnoxiously AT ALL, my friend):
These are actual figures:
Self-taught piano, guitar, drums, then got a degree in theory and composition.
• in 1991, I bought Cubase, I use it professionally, still own it (we're at v7 now), and beta tested for Steinberg.
• in 1998, I bought Logic (when it ran on Windows). I use it professionally, and still own it (we're at v9 now).
• Reason of course, the day it came out, version 1 through today.
• All the N.I. stuff (Lustfully, every version updated the day it comes out, and I went through about a year when I forgot what
music was because I was building Reaktor ensembles all day).
• My house looks like somebody turned Guitar Center upside down and shook it for two hours.
• Started with Ableton Live at version 5.
• That's 20 years, and 350+ compositions, songs, various aural destructoids.

I actually do know what I'm talking about and I wouldn't B.S. you.
I used to criticize the probs with Live's automations in Clips vs. in the Arrange.

Version 9 is actually a phenomenal improvement with automations in Live...
AND, I can't believe I'm even saying this, but, when I got used to Live's
way of doing stuff...my biggest problem was how fast everything was getting done. lol.
Something in my head was like: "wait a minute, there must be something wrong because
this is already...um?...done?
You'll get used to it. ;)
For me, I use all of the above in different combinations depending on what the music asks for.

cjhoffmn

Post by cjhoffmn » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:26 pm

+1 I would find this very useful

DrOscillator

Post by DrOscillator » Fri Apr 05, 2013 3:55 pm

Although I 100% agree that "Snap automation to grid" would be a great feature, there is a pretty good workaround in Live 9 that's quicker than the pen tool method:

Click and drag on the waveform/midi to highlight the area you want to modify (this selection will be snapped to your grid). Then move the mouse *near* the automation line but not on top of it, so that the line is highlighted in blue. You can then drag this line up or down and it will automatically create 4 breakpoints at the sides so that it won't affect the automation outside of the selection area. You can drag points all around within the highlighted area but it will never leave the bounds you've set.

I learned this from watching the insanely fast workflow of Mr. Bill on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/MrBillsTune ... rid&view=1

rchrdnsh

Post by rchrdnsh » Sat Apr 06, 2013 2:10 am

no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no!!!!

SNAP TO GRID!!! It's all i want to have. Not drawing to grid with the pen tool, but being able to grab an automation point with the pointer and when I drag it, it snaps to the next grid line.

That's all I want Ableton to be able to do in regards to this subject.

THAT'S ALL!!!!

Bitwig has it, btw. :wink: