Happy with Live 9?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
gjm

Re: Happy with Live 9?

Post by gjm » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:18 am

I am happy with my upgrade.
iMac - 10.10.3 - Live 9 Suite - APC40 - Axiom 61 - TX81z - Firestudio Mobile - Focal Alpha 80's - Godin Session - Home made foot controller

artpunk

Post by artpunk » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:04 am

Happy? YES :D

“... it was just to make an average listener go: ‘What the fuck is this?’ That’s a real inspiration for me and something that I will explore more on upcoming recordings.”
- Wally De Backer (Gotye) quoting Ween's intention behind making records

oneummon

Post by oneummon » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:22 am

The worst critics of a new software program are its current users. No sneer, no troll and most certainly just as well aimed at myself. But its a given.
That is very true. I didn't go for 9 and surprisingly I'm very critical about what's in there and more importantly what is not in there. However, this whole waiting time and personal disappointment made me appreciate 8 and my current workflow...

brettonwoodsapocalypse

Post by brettonwoodsapocalypse » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:09 am

I'm VERY happy with the upgrade. I think one major problem is that Ableton has done a very poor marketing job : the price strategy has been a disaster, day of release was pretty messy with the downloads, the delay with Push has made a lot of people unhappy. This made some people forgetting about what really matters : the product and creating music!
Live 9 looks like a much more promising than L8, the new effects are awesome, stability very good so far, new browser could be perfected but a general improvement, new library is pretty cool and my absoute favorite is the audio to midi which will simply change completely the way I create music.

K1D1M35N

Post by K1D1M35N » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:09 pm

I'd put it this way: I'm happy with 8 for a couple of years now, and I don't see a point in buying 9 unless for the sake of Push.

I'd wish for a lot of small and minor things like more shortcuts, more colours, hiding groups, groups within groups, easy bouncing, HTML-formatted help - none of that happenend.

I know that Live's paradigm is to be an instrument for live performance, but my main workflow relies on editing my music in the piano roll and arrangement page, and there is so much missing compared to other DAWs. Audio to Midi is something I really do not need (it's a nice toy though).

And 9 hits heavier on my CPU then 8.

So I'll stick to 8 (at least until I get the money and time for Push). ;)

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 1:41 pm

Yes, very happy! I love the new information window that gives info on just about every button in Live. This saves me a trip to the manual.

Also loving the new EQ and Gate. The automation curves are pretty sweet too. Powerful. For what I paid for the upgrade, it was a no brainer to step up to 9.

I think today's the last day to upgrade at a discount. That's something to consider if you're on the fence
Ableton | Elektron

Music

MaybeAnAbletonUser

Post by MaybeAnAbletonUser » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:37 pm

Happy? Not really.

Since v8 I've thought about buying me live. Live9 seemed to possess the features I was looking for - advanced slicing options - but I was disappointed.
I was hoping that Abletons Midi Sclicing would act a bit like FXpansion's Geist. Geist arrange the slices autom. in the diffrent parts e.g. kick, snare, etc.
Ableton could do this (Drums to MIDI do similar but with a different new rack instead of the original break) but why to hell is this function not included. or did I miss something? I hope Ableton will implement such a function soon.

Sorry for my bad english

Matt_Quinn

Post by Matt_Quinn » Wed Mar 13, 2013 2:54 pm

Took the plunge and upgraded last night before the deal ran out. The way I figure it, I certainly would have paid:

$50- for just a plain old LFO
$50- a good Convolution Reverb
$50- EQ8
$50- Glue
$50- Session automation

.....and that covers it. Add in all the extra sound content & it was a no brainer for me. There's still some things I dislike about 9, but overall I certainly feel the upgrade price is justified for what you get. I'm hoping now that session automation has been implmented, the next major thing they tackle HAS to be either PDC or a dockable, floating window system.
the_planet wrote:Trap music is not supported in the current version.

mididiot

Post by mididiot » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:11 pm

I'm happy with it. I did my first 4 hour gig Sunday with Live 9 suite 32bit. Monday night did same gig with 64bit. Not a single problem. I'm a solo pianist I load up Live with over 225 scenes with between 3 and 16 midi and audio tracks. Mixed with 32bit & 64bit 3rd party plugins using JBridgeM I just upgraded my MacBook Pro to 16gig of ram and 1TB 7200 HD. I'm looking forward to using it more. I'm going start using it for more of my DAW work versus using Logic. It will only get better. Great time to be a Live musician.
http://www.paulrichardsonmusic.com, MacPro2.8/16G/5T, MacbookPro 16G,1TB SSD,Apogee, too many plugins

Buleriachk

Post by Buleriachk » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:23 pm

Needs more cowbell.... :-)
mididiot wrote: I'm a solo pianist I load up Live with over 225 scenes with between 3 and 16 midi and audio tracks. Mixed with 32bit & 64bit 3rd party plugins using JBridgeM I just upgraded my MacBook Pro to 16gig of ram and 1TB 7200 HD.

dazzer

Post by dazzer » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:56 pm

Tempting fate but yea, happy with 9.

pepezabala

Post by pepezabala » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:11 pm

I am not so happy. I find that the clip automation recording has been implemented in a very confusing way. Try to explain that to a newbie.

IMHO the browser is a debacle. They should have called it factory library instead.

But then again, I can't really compare as I do not use other DAWs or Maschine or whatever. And from what I have heard and seen, Live is still way better than everything else. So I only complain that all the developments go into the wrong direction: Making Live more and more complicated to use.

pencilrocket

Post by pencilrocket » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:13 pm

mididiot wrote:...
By the way, I found your music is so gorgeous!

re:dream

Post by re:dream » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:14 pm

Matt_Quinn wrote:The way I figure it, I certainly would have paid:

$50- for just a plain old LFO
$50- a good Convolution Reverb
$50- EQ8
$50- Glue
$50- Session automation

Well, exactly. If you look at the price decent vsts and plugins cost (sugar bytes, sonalksis, reverberate) and then at the quality of the new gear that is bundled with Live it is a very good deal indeed.

Szuumm

Post by Szuumm » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:15 pm

I'm happy-ish; my situation is a combination of Matt_Quinn & pepezabala ^