Anyone using a modular synth with Ableton?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Upright

Anyone using a modular synth with Ableton?

Post by Upright » Sun Mar 17, 2013 6:44 pm

I'm a few weeks away from having my system from Pittsburgh Modular..I thought I see if anyone here is using a modular with Ableton.

How are you implementing your modular into your workflow?

Are you using Midi to sync your modular?

I'd love to hear your stories. :D

adh82

Re: Anyone using a modular synth with Ableton?

Post by adh82 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:23 am

Your going to love it!
I use it 2 ways....
One midi with a Kenton pro solo. That just for basic stuff.
But the best way is getting an expert sleepers module and silent way.
That way ableton and your modular will become one!
And if you haven't checked, go to: http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/index.php

Upright

Post by Upright » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:43 am

adh82 wrote:Your going to love it!
I use it 2 ways....
One midi with a Kenton pro solo. That just for basic stuff.
But the best way is getting an expert sleepers module and silent way.
That way ableton and your modular will become one!
And if you haven't checked, go to: http://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/index.php

Sweet! I'm posting over at muffs and I've been hearing about the expert sleepers and silent way stuff. I'm still learning when it comes to modular ESPECIALLY when it comes to clock and midi sync'ing a modular. I may have to look into the expert sleepers...from what I'm hearing its easy to set up. Thanks for the response. :D

adh82

Post by adh82 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:25 am

No probs! You will flip once you get it all going!
For the mean time... If you just wanna get a clock I to the modular, the easiest is to get a short click type sample and put it in impulse or a sampler. Run it real hot with the gain utility and draw it into a 1 bar loop.
The clock timing will be determined by the amount of steps you input and the tempo of your session.
For the sake of it, just draw in a simple 4/4 then have it routed to a separate output into your modular.
MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT PUSH PLAY WHILE ITS GOING THROUGH THE MAIN MIX!!!!
It wil damage you speakers!
Once you get that down you can get creative with arpeggiator devices and different patterns!
Heaps of fun!!!

Upright

Post by Upright » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:45 am

adh82 wrote:No probs! You will flip once you get it all going!
For the mean time... If you just wanna get a clock I to the modular, the easiest is to get a short click type sample and put it in impulse or a sampler. Run it real hot with the gain utility and draw it into a 1 bar loop.
The clock timing will be determined by the amount of steps you input and the tempo of your session.
For the sake of it, just draw in a simple 4/4 then have it routed to a separate output into your modular.
MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT PUSH PLAY WHILE ITS GOING THROUGH THE MAIN MIX!!!!
It wil damage you speakers!
Once you get that down you can get creative with arpeggiator devices and different patterns!
Heaps of fun!!!

Awesome!! You are the second person to tell me about this method of using audio to clock the modular! This is going to be awesome!

Here's the system I'm getting

http://pittsburghmodular.com/cell-90-fo ... sktop-com/

And I believe I'll be running the audio out for Ableton in to this module

http://pittsburghmodular.com/inout/

Thanks for the help man! :D

synnack

Post by synnack » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:50 am

MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

Upright

Post by Upright » Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:24 am

Great interview. I see you're using the Doepher A-100 stuff.... Very nice.

AlakaLazlo

Post by AlakaLazlo » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:07 pm

Modulars and any DAW are an amazing combo. I run Kenton (1 channel) and an Encore Expressionist (8 channel) Midi>CV converters and the control possibilities are endless. In the old days, we used to use click tracks off tape with a slow compressor followed by a gate to clock our sequencers. Much simpler now with either the Expert Sleeper stuff or midi>cv converters.
Moog IIP, Dot.Com 66, Cubase 7, Ableton 9, W7Pro/64, i7920/9Gigs, 2xMR816, Motu 128, SL61MKII, HR824, NS10M, Komplet7, Omnisphere, RMX, Trilian, MMV, Z3ta, Axon AX50, Variax700, Alembic Rogue 5, LP Giovannis... Hi, I'm Al... and I'm a gear addict...

swishniak

Post by swishniak » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:51 pm

have a 6hp eurorack made up of doepfer / make noise / diy stuff - compliments Live great. silent way is very powerful, but i bought a cheap midi to cv module for fast n dirty connection.

Upright

Post by Upright » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:03 pm

swishniak wrote: silent way is very powerful, but i bought a cheap midi to cv module for fast n dirty connection.

More than like I'll take this route initially....if needed I'll go with the silent way.

synnack

Post by synnack » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 pm

MBP | Live 9 Suite | Max for Live | Push | MOTU Ultralite | iPad | Analog Modular Synths | Moog Voyager
aka "Tempus3r" | Music | Blog | Twitter | Soundcloud

southsounder

Post by southsounder » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:09 am

Honestly I've found the trigger sample method described by adh82 to be more accurate than the clock output on my A-190. Used in conjunction with a clock divider a single pulse works real well for timing purposes. I haven't messed with the CV outputs though, and the A-190 only has 2 anyway.

Upright

Post by Upright » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:23 am

southsounder wrote:Honestly I've found the trigger sample method described by adh82 to be more accurate than the clock output on my A-190. Used in conjunction with a clock divider a single pulse works real well for timing purposes. I haven't messed with the CV outputs though, and the A-190 only has 2 anyway.
Can I ask you what you run the triggered sample into? Which module?

Thanks

southsounder

Post by southsounder » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:55 am

Upright wrote:Can I ask you what you run the triggered sample into? Which module?
I run the audio signal into an A-119 and use the gate output to feed either the trigger input on an A-160 (when I need different divisions on the pulse), or straight into the external clock input on an Oberkorn (for basic sequencing).

The A-119 lets me avoid worrying too much about the envelope or volume level on the input signal - any old snare sample will work and it doesn't need to be super loud.

50quidsoundboy

Post by 50quidsoundboy » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:56 am

i'm using Live with my eurorack system. (i'm also a member at Muff's same username).

the modular is pretty much my main sound source, plus a Machinedrum which i use for drums and also for clocking the modular. i also use a Kenton Pro Solo occasionally for CV/gate.

i've been refining my little studio and my workflow for a few years now, trading synths and trying different DAWs etc and i'm so, so happy with this setup. i can switch it all on and be making new music in seconds and all the hardware and software hangs together really cohesively. so inspiring.