Best ways of reducing CPU load

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
dilshan89

Best ways of reducing CPU load

Post by dilshan89 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:27 am

Hey guys, recently my CPU load has been going overboard, and as expeccted my sound is going crazy with stuttering and pops and what not. I think it's because I've recently started using Native Instruments Plug ins like Kontakt and Massive. What are the best ways of reducing CPU load?

dilshan89

Re: Best ways of reducing CPU load

Post by dilshan89 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:29 am

Also this problem seems to get worse the as I progress through an Ableton session, even if I haven't added much

Eventful

Post by Eventful » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:40 am

dilshan89 wrote:Hey guys, recently my CPU load has been going overboard, and as expeccted my sound is going crazy with stuttering and pops and what not. I think it's because I've recently started using Native Instruments Plug ins like Kontakt and Massive. What are the best ways of reducing CPU load?

Increase global buffer via drivers.
If not available, switch to ASIO.

Right click and freeze tracks when not editing them.
funken wrote: The whipping must put air in and this stops it exploding.

distaudio

Post by distaudio » Thu Jan 03, 2013 5:09 am

Eventful wrote:
Right click and freeze tracks when not editing them.[/color][/b]
THIS

Dom Murphy

Post by Dom Murphy » Sun Mar 17, 2013 12:12 pm

Freezing tracks does help—it certainly reduces the CPU load— though I don't know by how much or even if substantially enough.

For example, right now I have every track frozen and a Reverb & Saturator on a Return Track & Spectrum on the Master, however the CPU load is up in the 55% range.

This is on a i7 Macbook Pro with SSD (and Live 9)

:?

anybody human

Post by anybody human » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:07 pm

Not sure I can add anything other than to say it's a big issue for me as well. Surprised at the CPU jump in Live 9.

adh82

Post by adh82 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:17 am

Finding live 9 a CPU hog!
At 1st I thought it was just wen using M4L...
But now I'm finding its just all of 9 is CPU hungry!
Ableton surely needs to address this by the next update.
I know it only 9.0.1 so I'm hopeful they will fix it by the next release!

Sibanger

Post by Sibanger » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:06 am

Yeah, I'm getting quite a few 'clicks & pops' with Live 9 even when the cpu meter in Live is not peaking out or even running high. Something Live 8 used to suffer from in it's early days...

This usually occurs when dropping instruments or effects or M4L devices onto a track.

Getting other random pops when just playing tracks.....

Rather annoying.

shadowdancerbnr

Post by shadowdancerbnr » Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:00 am

Oddly, I found the CPU usage very efficient when beta testing. Suddenly, I've noticed it tends to become extremely high even in relatively minimal projects. This, regardless of buffer settings or, indeed how many instances of M4L devices I'm using.

This is on a 2012 MBP Retina (8GB RAM, OS X 10.8.3). On my 2009 iMac i5 (8GB RAM, OS X 10.8.3), Live 9 starts to eat up CPU and RAM very quickly. And the iMac's fans kick in far quicker than they did with Live 8.

I'm hoping this problem will be addressed with the next update from Ableton as workarounds do not solve anything. Live 9 just loves hogging power and memory, no matter how efficient and streamlined I try to make my projects.

kevinreynoldsdetroit

Post by kevinreynoldsdetroit » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:52 pm

shadowdancerbnr wrote:Oddly, I found the CPU usage very efficient when beta testing. Suddenly, I've noticed it tends to become extremely high even in relatively minimal projects. This, regardless of buffer settings or, indeed how many instances of M4L devices I'm using.

This is on a 2012 MBP Retina (8GB RAM, OS X 10.8.3). On my 2009 iMac i5 (8GB RAM, OS X 10.8.3), Live 9 starts to eat up CPU and RAM very quickly. And the iMac's fans kick in far quicker than they did with Live 8.

I'm hoping this problem will be addressed with the next update from Ableton as workarounds do not solve anything. Live 9 just loves hogging power and memory, no matter how efficient and streamlined I try to make my projects.
Did you do the SMC 1.1 update Apple sent out? That will help with your rMBP fans.