Notes could disappear when rev or inv other notes

Please join the new beta forum at https://ableton.centercode.com/login.html
Valiumdupeuple

Notes could disappear when rev or inv other notes

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:57 pm

In the clip midi editor, if you select only some of the notes and revert them (or invert them, depends on the situation), some non-selected notes could be deleted by the editing.
It happens for certain notes within a specific situation, but my english is not good enough to explain this clearly, so here is a little video of the bug in action:
http://tete-de-son.com/L9/rev%20note%20bug.mov

[nis]

Re: Notes could disappear when rev or inv other notes

Post by [nis] » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:56 pm

There are two possible reasons I can think of. The first one would be specified behavior, the other one would be a bug:

a) The last selected note in your example video could be slightly longer than a quarter note. Thus it will overlap the other note after applying the 'reverse' command and deletes it, as Live does always delete overlapping notes.

b) There might be a rounding error in the engine, which could turn a perfect quarter note into something that is slightly longer than a quarter. This would lead to the same result as mentioned above, but would clearly be a bug.

I quickly tried to reproduce rounding errors by recreating the same note pattern as in your video example and reversing the notes at different tempi and zoom levels, but it always worked fine for me. If you have a clip, where this problem is always reproducible, even though the notes should not overlap, please send it to our support team and include a reference to this forum thread.

Thanks!
Nico
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

Valiumdupeuple

Re: (46371727) Notes could disappear when rev or inv other notes

Post by Valiumdupeuple » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:49 pm

a) The last selected note in your example video could be slightly longer than a quarter note. Thus it will overlap the other note after applying the 'reverse' command and deletes it, as Live does always delete overlapping notes.
Of course, I forgot to mention that it's not the case in this clip.

[mal]

Re: Notes could disappear when rev or inv other notes

Post by [mal] » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:14 pm

Hi,

In that case, please send the set to beta@ableton.com

Best,
Mads