Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Discuss Push with other users.
TYLRbass

Re: Ableton Push: Questions & Answers

Post by TYLRbass » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:34 pm

lo.key wrote:i dont understand what you're not grasping here. If you want to use a button for another purpose, you can just remap the button. It doesnt require m4l or user mode to do so.
I don't have the unit yet so I can't test this but I remember reading that this wouldn't work.

I'll just shut up until I get the thing and try it out myself :oops:

yur2die4

Post by yur2die4 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:58 pm

Don't worry. This is what I'm like when asking about women. Ehhh, the single life :/

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:30 pm

ableton could really do a lot to mitigate the confusion by just releasing their documentation and max patches. The units may be delayed, but thats no reason to delay discussing the specifics of the technology.

anamexis

Post by anamexis » Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:18 am

lo.key wrote:ableton could really do a lot to mitigate the confusion by just releasing their documentation and max patches. The units may be delayed, but thats no reason to delay discussing the specifics of the technology.
For the record, the Push doesn't run off of max patches, it runs off of python control scripts, which are more or less readily available.

distaudio

Post by distaudio » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:20 pm

I'd love to know whether is more than one user mode?

There are some many performance questions around this instrument for the most part most of the performance videos I have seen have involved alot of button pressing to move on to the next Instrument.

Could? you put an instrument rack in and have the user mode able to select the instrument and provide visual feedback for the different mapped macros you might have for each nested instrument?

You are running an instance of sampler and you have samples assign to only some notes is it possible to have user mode light up the pads where there are samples present?

I also have a setup where a dummy clip i have triggers are certain sampler in my instrument rack via the chain selector (for changing instrument patches for songs). In those instances of sampler and in have samples assign to only some notes is it possible to have user mode light up the pads where there are samples present?

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:01 pm

anamexis wrote: For the record, the Push doesn't run off of max patches, it runs off of python control scripts, which are more or less readily available.

i was not referring to the python script (thats already available fwiw), but to the max patches detailing and describing the control_surface behaviour as they envision it applying to the push. They have said they would release these things when the push was released, but theres no reason they couldnt release them now so we can move beyond all this confusion.

lo.key

Post by lo.key » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:08 pm

distaudio wrote:I'd love to know whether is more than one user mode?
no, but you could implement a m4l router type app, that sits in between individual apps and the push, and allows you to bank between them. The monome pages app is also being enhanced to work with all grid controllers, so this would be another way of 'banking' the user mode.
distaudio wrote:There are some many performance questions around this instrument for the most part most of the performance videos I have seen have involved alot of button pressing to move on to the next Instrument.
true, but that is for actually loading in a new instrument (which i wouldnt want to be doing live anyway). Its very fast toggling between tracks though, so having multiple tracks with different instruments in place would be a lot smoother.
distaudio wrote:Could? you put an instrument rack in and have the user mode able to select the instrument and provide visual feedback for the different mapped macros you might have for each nested instrument?
you dont need to use user mode for this, you can just map an instrument rack macro to the chain selector.
distaudio wrote:You are running an instance of sampler and you have samples assign to only some notes is it possible to have user mode light up the pads where there are samples present?
not with sampler, as i understand it, but this is possible with a device observer set to watch drum rack slots...
distaudio wrote:I also have a setup where a dummy clip i have triggers are certain sampler in my instrument rack via the chain selector (for changing instrument patches for songs). In those instances of sampler and in have samples assign to only some notes is it possible to have user mode light up the pads where there are samples present?
again, not with sampler, but with drum racks yes. I tend to use sampler for pitched instruments, and drum racks for one shots, so this works well enough for me, ymmv.

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:17 pm

distaudio wrote:I'd love to know whether is more than one user mode?

There are some many performance questions around this instrument for the most part most of the performance videos I have seen have involved alot of button pressing to move on to the next Instrument.

Could? you put an instrument rack in and have the user mode able to select the instrument and provide visual feedback for the different mapped macros you might have for each nested instrument?

You are running an instance of sampler and you have samples assign to only some notes is it possible to have user mode light up the pads where there are samples present?

I also have a setup where a dummy clip i have triggers are certain sampler in my instrument rack via the chain selector (for changing instrument patches for songs). In those instances of sampler and in have samples assign to only some notes is it possible to have user mode light up the pads where there are samples present?
Its the python script that determines the number of user-modes. Based off what's been released, there is only 1 user mode out of the box. This doesn't mean other people won't write new scripts for the addition of more. But until people start dissecting the script with a physical push in their possession, you will likely be waiting a while for this functionality short of Ableton incorporating it ahead of time.

Since AKAI makes the push (like they did the APC), I personally am not anticipating Ableton changing the script up much as their personal investment to improve another companies product at some point becomes nil once people start buying it. Nothing was ever changed on APC functionality until the APC 20 came out, and this only change was to incorporate a 20 and 40 together to push people into buying a second unit (incorporation of note mode). Ableton's only real priority is to have it work as advertised to promote the product they make money off of. Past that, I am doubting people's concerns will be as forefront. But who knows, I could be proved wrong.

donmich

Post by donmich » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:43 pm

Not sure if this has been asked for but is the step sequencer capable of having patterns of different lengths for each drum/pad allowing us to do "poly rhythmic" stuff (like the sequencer in Tremor or Elektroid)?

neuromodulator

Post by neuromodulator » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:10 pm

The number of user modes "out of the box" doesn't really matter, because you can build as many as you want to devote buttons to. Like, consider a monome patch with multiple pages - you decide "these 4 buttons are my page selectors", which are essentially different modes. So the one "user mode" button of Push is like a "turn the controller into an open-ended device" button - you can then decide to devote controls to mode selections and make as many as you need.

Like, you could devote the top row of the matrix to a selector between eight different modes, and then you're always two button presses from any particular page you want - one press to engage user mode and then a tap of that top row for the particular page. That's what was being referred to above as using a router inside the max patch to select different modes - you're saying, "Hey, route button presses to mode 2" or whatever (and likewise let mode 2 send LED messages to Push). No "waiting for scripts" is necessary for all this method of doing things.

The one area where I think you'll find it might now work how you want, TYLRbass, is that while you can grab things and divert them, you probably can only grab the whole "object" - and the button matrix will be one object. So I'm not sure you can just divert one row to another purpose and have the rest of it function normally.

And I highly recommend learning Max. It's seriously one of the greatest things I've ever done, and it has the best integrated help and tutorials of anything I've ever encountered. Making controllers behave exactly how you want them to is incomparable.

(apologies if this isn't that lucid - i tried to type this at work and got interrupted 500 times)

distaudio

Post by distaudio » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:38 pm

skatr2 wrote:
Its the python script that determines the number of user-modes. Based off what's been released, there is only 1 user mode out of the box. This doesn't mean other people won't write new scripts for the addition of more. But until people start dissecting the script with a physical push in their possession, you will likely be waiting a while for this functionality short of Ableton incorporating it ahead of time.

Since AKAI makes the push (like they did the APC), I personally am not anticipating Ableton changing the script up much as their personal investment to improve another companies product at some point becomes nil once people start buying it. Nothing was ever changed on APC functionality until the APC 20 came out, and this only change was to incorporate a 20 and 40 together to push people into buying a second unit (incorporation of note mode). Ableton's only real priority is to have it work as advertised to promote the product they make money off of. Past that, I am doubting people's concerns will be as forefront. But who knows, I could be proved wrong.
That is probably what I'm really after. I have strange setup for my live performance (probably) and I have a great level of control with my Novation SL MK2.

It is highly likely if I were upload the Live set and someone was to dissect it they would be thinking "WTF?".

I trigger scenes that through dummy clips changes via a chain selector in an instrument rack the sampler for that specific song.
Contained in the samplers are either one shot sounds or sampled piano. Defiantly not 64 pads worth of sounds as my SL MK2 is only a 49 key.

The audio for the samplers is routed to an additional audio track which contains my automated effects via midi dummy clips.
From there the audio travels to a return track which contains my effects that I modify in real time via the sliders on my SL MK2.

So as you can see I'm effecting multiple thing across multiple channels.

I also have another SLmk2 template that I switch to that launches the scenes via buttons and I also have the knob controls routed to levels that are feed to my drummer for in ear fold back so I can adjust on the keyboard not in live itself.

The whole setup I have is very much so I dont even have to have the laptop in front of me. But Push is really something that appeals to be based purely on its size and level of pad control.

That and button mashing.

Perhaps using Covops 16 Macros and Clip mapper would be the easiest way around this what could be perceived as messy clusterfuck of a setup.
http://www.covops.org/max_for_live_collection/

agent314

Post by agent314 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:14 am

Looking at the Push-specific changes in the latest beta versions' changelogs makes me cautiously optimistic about Ableton's support for it going forward.

skatr2

Post by skatr2 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:15 pm

As I have been playing around with live 9, I found one question. Can Push browser access the places section of live?

Joost

Post by Joost » Wed Mar 20, 2013 5:29 pm

as my Push will be arriving next week, i cant wait till it arrives, in the mean time ive watched alot of uservideo's available on the net.

In one of the video's a user mentioned that its still impossible to stepsequense drumracks which are placed in a instrument rack. Now my personale library has all of my drumrack nested in a instrumentrack, can anybody enlighten me if there has been a update so drumracks in instrumentracks can be stepsequensed?

anamexis

Post by anamexis » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:55 pm

Joost wrote:as my Push will be arriving next week, i cant wait till it arrives, in the mean time ive watched alot of uservideo's available on the net.

In one of the video's a user mentioned that its still impossible to stepsequense drumracks which are placed in a instrument rack. Now my personale library has all of my drumrack nested in a instrumentrack, can anybody enlighten me if there has been a update so drumracks in instrumentracks can be stepsequensed?
Not yet, although that's just begging to be fixed, either by Ableton or by someone hacking the control script..