Ableton killing sustain signal when letting go of last note

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Geo Safari

Ableton killing sustain signal when letting go of last note

Post by Geo Safari » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:46 am

Hi, I have a KAWAI?AT14 and I'm running it into Ableton live into softsynth midi instruments. For some reason whenever I let go of the last note on ableton it kills the sustain pedal (comes up as hold pedal on ableton) signal. For some reason, this isn't the case on Logic, logic's quite happy with the note lasting for as long as the pedal is held down. I think ableton must be interpreting the signal differently. Anyone out there know how to change it ? Thanks.

Geo

fishmonkey

Re: Ableton killing sustain signal when letting go of last note

Post by fishmonkey » Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:00 am

how are you recording? are you looping?

southsounder

Post by southsounder » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:30 am

Not totally sure, but what you're describing sounds an awful lot like this issue:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=151861

It appears to be a problem with certain Abelton instruments, but not all. This is an old thread and I had hoped it would have been corrected in the last couple of revisions. Ableton tech support knew all about it, but the number of complaints was apparently low enough that it flew beneath the radar amongst all the other early issues with ver 8.

We thought at first the problem was with aftertouch, as my main controller (a Kawai K11 with aftertouch) had the problem but my Yamaha CS2x (no aftertouch) did not. But other folks with aftertouch controllers didn't have the problem, so the next guess was the note-off MIDI implementation of certain manufacturers - and I see you have a Kawai...

Since it was only some of Ableton's instruments that had the problem and third party instruments (not to mention every other softsynth on every other DAW known to man) also did not have the problem, it's pretty obvious the issue is inherent in the coding of those few Ableton instruments that do. Shame they choose to ignore the issue - seems like a pretty straight forward issue to fix.

Geo Safari

Post by Geo Safari » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:58 pm

yea, just straight up midi recording. I guess I'll have to record in logic and port the midi over. thanks anyway guys.

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:22 pm

just for clarification:

is this just a problem with abletons own synth (operator, analog) or with all vsts?

I'm curious if it's an bug in the instruments or from the the sequencer.

southsounder

Post by southsounder » Wed Mar 20, 2013 3:13 am

It's a bug with certain Ableton instruments, I forget offhand which ones - it's been a long while since I've messed with Ableton's synths at all. Other Ableton instruments and all third party instruments (that I'm aware of) work just fine.

To the OP, if you can try a different controller - that may solve the problem for you.