Sequence audio clips/slices that timestretch in real time?

Learn about building and using Max for Live devices.
delicioso

Sequence audio clips/slices that timestretch in real time?

Post by delicioso » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:13 pm

What options are there for a step sequencer where each step can be different audio clips?

And by audio clips, they can be either session view audio clips or audio clips that are separate from the session view (but still able to timestretch to the master tempo in realtime) if a m4l device already exists that has that.
Last edited by delicioso on Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

chapelier fou

Re: Step sequencer for audio clips?

Post by chapelier fou » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:23 pm

Interesting idea.
But,
as far as i know, fire clips with the API is restricted by the global quantization...
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

delicioso

Re: Sequence audio clips/slices that timestretch in real time?

Post by delicioso » Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:31 am

chapelier fou wrote:Interesting idea.
But,
as far as i know, fire clips with the API is restricted by the global quantization...
Hmmm.. well, maybe I should clarify what I'm going for. I'm essentially trying to see if there's a way to have a sequence (doesn't need to be a step sequencer) of MIDI notes trigger slices (automatically or manually sliced, doesn't matter; ideally nondestructive slices but that doesn't matter either) of an audio loop that will timestretch in realtime to global tempo changes. This will basically give me the ability to have slices that warp/stretch even when you keep changing the song tempo.

Audio clips in session view seems to be an obvious candidate if I treat each clip slot as a slice. So for example, I can have a warped audio clip of a drum loop, duplicate it several times on the same track, and manually adjust the start and end points of each so they're all different slices of the same drum loop. If I midi map those audio clips to MIDI notes, then I can then have midi clips in another track trigger those "sliced" audio clips via a virtual MIDI output (IAC in my case).

I found the method in the above example to be too clunky because I would need to keep switching on/off the "select clip on launch" option in Live's preferences depending on whether I'm editing the MIDI clips or launching the MIDI clips (once I launch the MIDI clip which in turn triggers the audio clips in the adjacent audio track, the focus changes to the audio track and I can no longer edit the MIDI clip while it's playing), and also because I would need to always keep this track of already midi-mapped clip slots in my default template if I want to be able to reuse it (not having to manually midi map each clip slot would be more ideal as well).

Is there's a M4L device that lets you chop an audio loop into slices that can be sequenced (and have those slices timestretch in real time to tempo changes)?

Or maybe a Monome MLR-style tool that lets you sequence instead live triggering the different start points of an audio loop (assuming the audio loop can be timestretched in real time)?

blinkeye

Post by blinkeye » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:26 pm

delicioso wrote:Is there's a M4L device that lets you chop an audio loop into slices that can be sequenced (and have those slices timestretch in real time to tempo changes)?

Or maybe a Monome MLR-style tool that lets you sequence instead live triggering the different start points of an audio loop (assuming the audio loop can be timestretched in real time)?
I would also like to know if this is possible. I've always wished that Slice to MIDI feature would still allow the slices to warp/timestretch when you change the tempo after the fact. This would make it so much easier to experiment with different song tempos even after you slice.

delicioso

Post by delicioso » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:35 pm

Bump. Any M4L gurus out there care to chime in?

mutant23

Post by mutant23 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:41 pm

I'm by no means a m4l guru, but why not just resample as audio and warp that instead of trying to warp the slices? That said, would be interested to hear what other options are out there.

blinkeye

Post by blinkeye » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:48 pm

This might help. I found this recent thread by Tom Cosm where he is using some kind of M4L device that seems to allow another MIDI clip to sequence other clips: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=191389