Who's going to pay for the drive Ableton is setting on fire?

Please join the new beta forum at https://ableton.centercode.com/login.html
paulmaddox

Re: Who's going to pay for the drive Ableton is setting on fire?

Post by paulmaddox » Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:02 pm

Just want to add my support to this,

Not being able to use the browser to simply browse the computer's file system is a big mistake IMO and makes a new feature which *looks* very good, feel very clunky.

Surely for users' places, it would make more sense for the browser to simply show the filesystem (as in the L8 browser), with the index only being referenced for search purposes and items in the Library? If a newly added file took a while to show up in searches, that would be tolerable, but not even being able to browse to it feels really badly thought out.

kovac

Post by kovac » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:37 am

I want to join those expressing anger over Ableton Live's indexing.

Abletonians, what is the design rationale behind this indexing?
And, if there is a solid one, are practical implications worth it?
Please, help us understand.

Ranty part: Dear Ableton, don't kill your best ace on the market. It was supposed to be called "Live" for a reason. Now that "live" concept is delayed depending on the user's library size. Ironic.

Extra ranty part: Smells like shoddy testing, lack of enthusiasm, too much money and too many "managers" making their "decisions".
To be fair, Ableton, so I heard/read, used to have a rigorous testing regime...

Ableton Denver

Post by Ableton Denver » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:52 am

we are up to page 12 over here right now:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=190475&p=1493343#p1493343
closed the user group on purpose.

Ableton Denver

Post by Ableton Denver » Wed Mar 20, 2013 2:02 am

Hyperbole is necessary to get the attention of thick skulled companies. Comcast will not talk to you on the phone in a reasonable amount of time but reply on tiwtter very fast.

There is only one question anyone should be asking : "Is your experience better?".

I am a resounding NO as I am using the same hardware I have always used, pro-sumer gear for production and professional for performance. My external drive is not super fast as it is a mirror of my master library and worked great with all other audio applications. This way drives can fail and I will buy another 500gb for $60. This is a use pattern that alleviates my risk (what kind of a fool carries all their critical info on the laptop to be stolen or corrupted?) and allows me to collaborate more and better.

I can only assume that short sighted talk on this thread is nothing more than a lack of experience and a failure to see beyond the dashboard.

I don't usually engage on forums as the majority is people who I woudl categorize as e-thugs. We usually work in real time. http://www.bodymod.org/forum/uploads/zo ... g-whoo.jpg

So - how is your experience? Better?
closed the user group on purpose.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:57 pm

so reading back through this thread you got the hyperbole which you claim is good. during the course of that banter everyone who replied that didn't 100% agree with you that Ableton Live is, beyond a shadow of a doubt (in your mind), at fault for your drive being incapable of withstanding having its file tables read...is an "e-thug"?

wow.

you sound sad like you're feeling so very un-e-preciated.

good luck. i'm sure Ableton will be sending you a personal apology and a check for a new drive any day now.