Recording capabilities on sends

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Gabe

Recording capabilities on sends

Post by Gabe » Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:35 pm

I like to use the pitch knob to play melodies and chord progressions on less exciting samples. It would be really cool if I could record what I do so that it could be easily looped and continue doing what I just did. Either the sends could have an optional record button, or the destionation could just go to a normal track.
And also, if there is a way to do this please let me know :)

Actually, I suppose I could just patch an unused pair of inputs and outputs on my sound card to each other, but that would add extra latency and an analog conversion.

It would also be nice if the pitch know could be assigned to a midi controller. Quickly typing in numbers works, but it's kind of a pain and you can't do anything else at the same time.

G

Post by Guest » Thu Apr 03, 2003 3:03 am

any luck yet, I'm trying to do the exact same thing, but instead of tweaks on a clip, I'm trying to send 5-8 tracks worth of individual drum hit clips that I play with a midi keyboard. It would be great to send all of the tracks to a send, then record everything going to the send as a new clip.

Resample track

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:11 am

hey all,

yes...many users want this feature...for many reasons.

After much think and discussion with the good people here I came up with this concept a few months back.. called the 'resample track'.
basically it uses a 'send track' to record on, with the fact that you can record from it's own aux send as well (to allow overdubbing/ layering)

You can see a mockup here:

http://homepage.mac.com/songcarver/resample.jpg

It would allow:
-Recording of non-automatable parameters, eg pitch change, clip length
-Overlaying of infinite tracks...like a hardware looper
-Instant mixdown of certain tracks
-Recording new clips POST effects

And so much much more

It also has the feature of automatically muting source clips (on the left) after a new 'resample' clip is triggered, to prevent doubling the signal.

Verbal support here might get it made for real!

:-)

-SongCarver

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:24 am

Gabe,

one short semi-workaround..

I often use the pitch change as a basic chord-progression/ base (or bass) melodic line.

What I do is setup a track in LIVE, out of the way, which has say, 8 vertical slots, which have midi triggers C D E F G A B C assigned.

Then I use a great app called numerology (Five12.com) to just give me a loop of midi notes out matching these clips. I sync Numerology to Live, and have it go throught the 8 bar sequence.

Now, if I want a basic pattern of pitch changes material, I can drag copies of the clip, pitch0change each one, so when the sequence triggers the clips in a downward vertical motion, I get my melodic sequence/loop.

It's not perfect, but it is a start.

I will say here that Numerology is an Excellent application for live sequencing. unfortunately it is for mac os x only, but I'm sure there are plenty of options for other platforms.

Remember too, that you should put your '8' bar vertical section out of the way, so it is not triggered by other scenes. also remember that you can do far more interesting thing than 1 bar=1 clip. Rhythm, and changing around the order etc.

All the best and remember

have a look at

http://homepage.mac.com/songcarver/resample.jpg

and tell me what you think.

-SongCarver

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Fri Apr 04, 2003 12:37 pm

songcarver...i live for your mockups man, they're fucking great. i love this idea too, you could go nuts with it. i'm still trying to wrap my mind around the possibilities.

k

Post by Guest » Fri Apr 04, 2003 3:45 pm

thanks dirtystudios... your encoragement is much appreciated.

I am proud of this idea, I think it fits the current Live paradigm, and would allow some really innovative things.

With the pre-sequenced idea(with numerology running the clips in sequence), I am experimenting with using this to record...VERY interesting...auto-chopped clips.

lots of possibilites with the resample track me thinks.
-Keith

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:08 pm

i actually found a workaround for recording melodics from tweaking the pitch knob. if you arm to record in the session window like you're gonna record an arrangement, your pitch movements will be recorded as new clips every time you make a change. of course, this gets you a string of clips that represent your melody and you'll need to render it to disk in order to have the whole thing represented as one clip, but it's better than nothing.

k

Post by Guest » Sat Apr 05, 2003 1:28 am

mmm I'll have to try that one Dirtystudios

Never thought about doing that.

cherio
K

madScientist

syncing numerology to live

Post by madScientist » Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:03 pm

hey songcarver,

i have seen numerology briefly and it looked like the funnest thing ever - can you give me any tips about how to use it with live? as in, how do you sync it up, how do you use it as an input - will it just show up automatically as an option in the inputs?

cheers,
madScientist

Post by Guest » Wed Apr 23, 2003 10:03 am

DS,

I gost to admit I haven't been using Numerology as much with Live as I would have liked... but yes basically just run numerology first, then run Live. Virtual midi ins and outs are all pretty standard in OSX. Just send midi clock out to Numerology, choose Live as a midi clock in source IN numerology.

The two will now lock.

I am experimenting with setting up 8 clips in one track, which continously loop (triggered by Num.) This means
1) If the track is record enables, you can have instant chopped-up loops
2) If you set the clips to be triggered every couple of bars, then you can set up a 'chord progression' by 1) copying the same clip to each slot in the track, b) Transposing each track

Other than that, Numerology really needs to be used with a rewirable synth if you want to record into Live. otherwise, just run RAX (which is GREAT) and record the output of your computer.

Otherwise I suppose you could just record midi output of Numerology into Logic or Cubase.

Numerology is a very powerful and flexible model for live performance. It's VERY easiy to fiddle with melodies/ beats and come up with cool stuff. It is VERY flexible, and musical.

I am currently working with the programmer to build Live/ Numerology interoperability. Eg, Scene triggering syncronisation etc.

Check it out everyone, very good program (osx only):

www.Five12.com

-SongCarver